TIE/ad x1 | 1st Build Trampa E-toxx (Australia)

The one from the control hehe

The rechargeable battery for the HK-GT2B came with the controller.

So bought my next step in the evolution of this build, and with a view to possibly create a commercial product out of this.

Waiting for my gray M5Stack to arrive, had to have something to tinker with while on holiday in December.

Note that this is a development platform, and the final product will likely be custom.

Sorry for the noob question, but what is it?

Its an electronic product development platform with a 32 bit dual core microprocessor, colour screen, 9 axis accelerometer and various forms of input and output (including BLE and WiFi) that can run Arduino or Micropython natively, and control peripherals like LEDs, servos, brushless motors, various sensors and a lot more.

I’m envisioning a throttle management unit with mode switching initially, and later down the road possibly wheely control, traction control, and electronic diff for dual or quad builds.

3 Likes

Sounds promising :ok_hand:

1 Like

This is so close to what I am thinking of building - although I’m not planning on doing direct drive. The batteries are cool - what’s the range been so far?

7km to empty last time I checked, but then the next day I noticed my tyres were flat. So I guess more under normal conditions.

Also take into consideration I go almost flat out all the time, with a commuting weight of nearly 100kg, and have to climb two hills with some slight upward slopes in between.

The climb including the slopes is about 700m, of which 100m is at 26% gradient.

I travel quite a bit for work so was considering 4 of these batteries which would give me the range I want, and according to qantas, I could fly with them as carryon with my board in oversize luggage. Winning!

1 Like

i had same esc and battery configuration, i got 6 miles from mine , i just recently added 2 more Graphene packs (in parallel) so now i get 12 miles

Do you mind sharing your settings for motor (min and max) and battery (min and max)? I’m interested to see what you are using.

I’ll have to connect my WiFi programmer to check, but from memory I only changed mode to Fwd+Brake, battery cutoff to Auto(High), and the direction of one of the motors.

Not many settings on these ESCs, unlike the VESC based ones. Plenty of power and torque throughput though. Very basic beasts these.

What do I do to protect my batteries from over discharge? Go only 4km instead of the 7km it runs to cutoff, so I’m not running them right down.

What did I do to protect the batteries from too high rate of discharge? Spec them to provide more thsn the peak 160A discharge per ESC.

What do you do for charging? I want to add two more packs, but don’t want to add two more hours to charging. I have two B6AC chargers, so can’t charge 8S. Can I charge 4S2P, or do I have to charge individual packs only?

Maybe you can just add a lipo alarm and set it to 3.5v. With it you could get some more kilometers without over discharge your packs. 4km seems a bit less.

1 Like

You can charge parallel but the packs need to have the same initial voltage. The charging time will non the less double as you have more capacity to charge and your charger is limited to 60watt i think.

Fit for purpose at the moment, I only go 4km per day, which is my commute distance.

Why? I have balance chargers, which should be able to handle voltage mismatch?

1 Like

Yes but if in pack 1 cell 1 is 3.5v and in pack 2 cell 1 is 3.7v I doubt the balance charger can bring them on one level. It’s like with LiIon packs. If you have a 10s4p for example, you have one balance lead for 4cells. Means the bms balance the packs not the individual cells. If one cell in the 4p pack is bad your balance charger can’t handle that. If to come back to the case I wrote before your balance charger will probably see the average voltage which is 3.6 and balance that up till reaching 4.2v. The thing is that then one cell is 4.1 and the other 4.3 when fully charged. Idk how much the cells in parallel can balance each other, so maybe there will be a bit less difference but in general I understood it like that.

Nice building buddy! I’m the same weight as you maybe 5 lbs lighter. If most of your commute was flatter terrain, what motors would you have opted for?

Also, I’m a noob. I have to ask why you decided on Maxx instead of Vesc6?

Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks mate. Most of my commute is flat terrain, two thirds actually. I could have gone smaller motors, nobody really NEEDS 8kW+. Dual 6355 would have been more than enough.

I went Max6 and dual 6374 because I drew inspiration from @Nowind doing power wheelies on YouTube LOL! Instant torque and 160A output each FTW! Also Max6 is waterproof.

2 Likes

i bought a parallel charging board to do all 4 batteries at once, i 1st tryed charging all 4 on my B6AC charger but it look over 6hrs to charge on a parallel board, so i bought a more powerful charger and it now i can charge all 4 up in 2hrs using a parallel charging board!

if you can’t afford a a new a charger then you could just buy two parallel boards and use 1 for each B6AC charger so your charging 2 batteries on each charger,