Those that have made carbon fiber decks, did you make a mold or just wrap carbon around a core material?

I am designing a carbon fiber deck but can’t decide whether to mill an aluminum layup mold or just wrap around a foam core. Thanks

2 Likes

You can probably get away w/ a positive mould and sanding. If you want a really nice surface finish w/o all of the sanding, do a negative mould - carbon - inside foam - carbon - negative mould. Like a sandwich. Granted you need a table top cnc to cut the negative moulds out, that’s the best way to get a pretty finish w/ being really strong. Also, you can use a foam as the negative mould, but you have to spray mould release and wax it beforehand.

1 Like

I’ve got a mold. https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/no-words-just-pictures-delete-words-use-pm/2992/6350?u=jaraya92881

Lots of others have done wraps with a vacuum and it looks pretty sweet.

2 Likes

Damn, that must’ve been an expensive mould.

1 Like

I have access to a HAAS CNC so based on what you said, I think I am going to mill a positive mold out of foam and go that route. Thanks for the help

1 Like

It had some cost behind it. Excited to share it with the community soon too. :slight_smile: