The Stage | Hummie Deck | Gummies | 6.5" Trampa Treads | Geared and DD | Dual VESC 6 | Dual 6355 | 10S5P | 3D Print

This time I will make a build log and not post everything after months of riding :grin:

As the name suggest’s, this build will be made in multiple stages, but the final configuration I hope to achieve is:

• Hummie Deck
  • Dual VESC 6
  • Dual 5055 or 6355
  • Custom made helical gear drive or a custom made direct drive
  • 10S5P or 10S10P
  • Gummies and 6.5" Treads for versatility
  • TB 218mm trucks
  • Modified @solidgeek remote
  • @SimosMCmuffin BMS
  • Integrated front and rear lights
  • 3D printed enclosure

The first stage I will basically transplant all electronics from my previous build to the @Hummie deck , changing the trucks for TB 218mm, and putting some Gummies on them

After that I want more range, so at minimum 10S5P of NCR18650GA and ideally 10S10P of them, this may change as new cells come to market and hopefully the price of 21700/20700 cells goes down and energy density improve

And the final stage is changing the drive train, ideally I want to do a direct drive, that is the final project that I’m working on my degree, but it may be two years until it’s done. The backup plan is making a helical geared drive. I may be able to use my current mount and just order the gears and make a 3D printed cover

For now I just have some sketches to see if I can use use the existing mount with the Gummies

Deck, wheels and trucks are ordered, unfortunately customs here work snail pace, so it may be a lot of time until I receive them

8 Likes

Just playing around to see how its best to modify my mount to fit the new profile, unfortunately these is no easy/cheap way to make the angle adjustable, but it appears that I can rear mount the motors and still have lots of ground clearance

I will need to wait for the actual trucks to arrive, I don’t trust this model I downloaded, and also appears that the profile of the TB trucks are bigger than normal calibers

And all this assuming that I top mount the deck

5 Likes

How do you plan on getting the 10s10p to fit on the hummie deck? will either of the packs be flex packs? The Hummie deck does flex but very slightly. Do you have the files for the 3d printed enclosure as well?

Edit: checked out your previous build where you’ll be moving some of your parts from. Are you using the same 3D printed enclosure? Does it also allow for some flex?

1 Like

They will be double stacked, probably I will need to go 10S9P because as you said the deck has a slight curvature

Each P group will be rigid, but the series connection flexible

The enclosure will be all new, I need to have the deck in hands to model it first and also test for flex, if it’s just a little bit the ABS can handle just fine and it will be easier to print since I can make it flat and use the screws to curve it, Hummie said that the arc will be about 3mm down at the middle of the compartment in comparison to the edges

1 Like

With a wide axle a la TB218 I’d go for a sleeve motor mount design just like what Trampa is using or what kuglis is doing in his gear drive. It’s bullet proof and easy to maintain.

1 Like

Thanks for the idea, if I have to make a new mount I will probably look into doing that way

For now my old mount will be used, it’s just a matter of enlarging the circular that was used to mount on the Paris, way cheaper because this mounts were expensive to machine (but still cheaper than ordering a decent one from overseas)

Mocked up a little more. I may have to cut a bit of the motor axles and hold the pulley with just loctite

2 Likes

First parts to arrive, they look and feel really nice, ridding comfort should improve a lot

2 Likes

Drivetrain for the Gummies finished, just need to make a cover for the motor pulley

4 Likes

Looking a lot better with the cover. Usually I make the cover with complex curves, but since the Gummies are almost a disc, a simple cover ended looking better

Also modeled the 6.5" tires, I may need to shift everything a bit to clear the belt from it

Now it’s obvious that I will need to drop mount the trucks, may need to sand a lot of the tail of the deck

6 Likes

Not much to update, still waiting for the trucks

But two new decisions

First, on all my board I routed the motor wires thought the middle of the deck, but it’s a lot of work. Also for this board I want sensors on the motors, and to this day I haven’t found a connector good for this My plan was to 3D print a channel, extend the motor and sensor wires and plug directly on the VESC, but since the Hummie deck has a drop it would be a pain do print it right This pictures than Frank posted made me realize that it will be a lot easier and look way better just to use mesh on the wires and send them to the back of the enclosure I just need to find a way to waterproof the wires hole

Second, I dropped the idea of 10S10P, too bulky, instead if need a will plug a range extender directly on the charge port like @skatardude10 did I have a old 10S3P made of NCR18650B that will become a 7S4P to power the boost converter

Or alternatively put a XT60 somewhere on top of the deck to directly connect another battery, the only problem I can see with this is accidentally connecting a battery with a different voltage

2 Likes

Well, I think I may go gear drive sooner than expected

Render1

Render2

Render3

Render4

12 Likes

Are those gear drives of your design? they look very sleek :sunglasses:

Yep, thanks. I wanted to do one for a long time, but the price of custom gears arround here is too expensive

That was until I found these gears on AliExpress, expent the most part of this week designing and tweaking

http://s.aliexpress.com/uAfaUzqQ

http://s.aliexpress.com/fqMruE3E

I just wanna make sure that will be cheaper by sending the design for a few local manufacturers, if I order these ones there’s still need to send them for a machine shop to make a few modifications that will add to the cost

2 Likes

Yeah DD looks amazing @Pedrodemio

Design looks solid and those renderings are orgasmic. I’d love to see this come together

Thanks guys

There’s a few that I need to think, any input is appreciated

1- If all sealing is well designed, the only remaining point for the oil to scape is through the motor bearing, if needed I plan to swap them with rubber sealed ones

2- the losses of the seal according to this diagram from SKF is way too high and would defeat one of the main goals I had going gear drive, 100W loss on each drive is simply not acceptable

http://www.skf.com/us/products/seals/industrial-seals/power-transmission-seals/radial-shaft-seals/friction/index.html

EDIT: made a mistake with loses, forgot to consider the reduction, so the loses are more like 25W per drive

I’ve found a few Teflon based seal that could further reduce that

TB trucks are in, need to check if the CAD model I have are accurate, but at first glance it’s not, probably will be easier to draw a new one

But the trucks looks amazing

2 Likes

As I suspected the geometry of TB trucks were quite different from the model I had downloaded, there’s only two flat faces on the hanger, the board side has a really small curvature that needs to be considered if you want a perfect fit with the mount

Also the baseplate is completely different in a good way, since the pivot is farther out, you get more clearance between the motors and the bolts, but the hanger body is wider, and because of that I had to mount the motor a little bit lower

I still need to check if the axle is in the right place since the small curvature makes it a paint to measure

2 Likes

Forgot to post the top speed simulation for the geared drive

(Click to open full resolutuion image)

With Gummies:

With Urban Treads:

Note that this is with 10S5P, my current 10S3P will perform a bit worse

My biggest fear is to overheat the motors when using the 6,5" wheels with this gear ratio, probably will install a NTC in them just to be safe and also convert them back to sensored

The gear drive is designed to work with 63mm motors, just need a new plate and a new 3D printed case

1 Like