The Stage | Hummie Deck | Gummies | 6.5" Trampa Treads | Geared and DD | Dual VESC 6 | Dual 6355 | 10S5P | 3D Print

Another test in combating heat, another fail

Motor current lowered to 25A each, brake still at -30A since always, temp limit still at 150°C

I took a few heavy and long hills to test and reached 90°C, but hill climbing took a hit

If I start fast it can climb, but start from dead stop is really bad, I guess due to these motors having a really low efficiency at low rpm, when you go to middle to high rpm’s it take off

Consumption @ 10,92 Wh/km

Next step is to increase the current again and see how hot it gets without the limit

2 Likes

Forgot to update, left the heating problem to sort itself out, after some sketches I can fit 6355 if the 5055’s go bad

First ride on the dirt, they handled it great for street wheels, even on damp and mildly slippery parts I had no wheel spin

On loose sand up to a finger deep the motors have enough torque to plow through, more than that the board stalls, more torque could help but then the wheels will probably start to spin

On the ride only one time the board stopped due to that

13 Likes

I fell in love with this picture :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I want to ride this path NOW, man the colour of the smooth dirt is awesome, in europe dirt looks different.

Just from my own experience, I also had problems with a motor reaching 80°C within 3-4 minutes on flat ground. The motor was sooo hot I couldn’t touch it at all, good for fried eggs on the way. I guess it was an internal short.

With dual 6355 and Gummies I have 11.7 Wh/km consumption.

6 Likes

I really like this place, I used to go a lot with my mountain bike, there are some smaller trails in the middle of the woods

Will get some video of the nicer places, you have everything in one place, then dirt here is like that everywhere, if you get rain for a few days it become impossible to ride, even with my bike or on foot there are some really mildly hills that you can’t go up, and down only on your butt lol

I will try to bring some get next time :sweat_smile:, if they stay bellow 100 °C it’s fine, let’s see

And nice to get another data point on the gummies, what top and average speed do you ride?

And last a picture of all the dirt paths, apart from that there are almost unlimited sugar cane crops that I can try to ride, but I think the gummies can’t take it due to the deeper loose sand, even the 6.5” may not be able to

3 Likes

Well due to 130kv motors my top speed is about 37km/h which is fine because it’s a city carver and I like the trucks loose, I am more floating than riding :laughing: Also the massive flex is nice for carving but nothing for speed. Usually I ride between 15-30km/h, above 30km/h it is scary.

But after finishing my build I rode it for max. 20 days until my crash in skate park. After re-building I rode it for 8km until my next crash, now it’s out of order again, time to buy more protectors and fix the issues.

Even with 8inch mud pluggers I can’t deal with deep loose dirt or sand

1 Like

We are on the same them, my board is capped at 35 km/h, I find my self keeping top speed way more often since it’s really stable, I could definitely uncap it and go 48 km/h

Hopefully we are not the same on crashes :grinning:

Glad (or not) to hear that even bigger tires have problems, maybe only 4wd for these situations

////////////////

Today took a ride at a lot more dirt surfaces, love the gomes each day more, loose gravel was no problem, and no signs of chunking even on pretty point rocks

The Kegels on dirt would lock and the rear end would loose, not with them, full brake in the dirt and stopped in a dime

Also I think I hit the 150°C on the motors while ridding on grass, forgot to turn metr on, will try some broader temp limit, something like starting in 80°C and ending in 140°C

1 Like

Did a bit more off off-roading today, handles really nice, video coming later

image image image image image image image

8 Likes

I want to ride this tooooo ! Once again, I love this setup, I will try to inspire myself with the efficiency and sobriety of this one !

haha Pedro, are you sure you don’t want to put tires and air tube on the Superstar ?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Enjoy good last 2018 ride :v:

3 Likes

Thanks, this means a lot to me :+1:t2:

Sure will do, I already have 6.5” Urban Treads, but the way my pulleys are assembled is PITA to change tires and pulleys

I will order my 10S5P in a few days, and then put the pneumatic wheels on for a test, the range will be too low with the current battery

This last ride with the Gummies consumed almost all the battery in 19 km, I don’t want to imagine how much the other ones will use

I think I will manage to squeeze one last ride still in 2018 :grin: I want to test another path to the city center, that’s the only possible during the weekends

4 Likes

yeah, nice !! It should looks good too on Treads !

Enjoy your ride, make us good photos :v: :wink:

1 Like

Since you said, I’m thinking on some ways to attach the GoPro to the board in a non invasive way, I hate to ride with the selfie stick, my camera is one of the really old models and quite heavy, half an hour holding it is enough hurt the hand, the best angle that is from the back I can only maintain for a few minutes

Any ideias are welcome, I did something with a 3D printed part for my older board but the angle wasn’t great, If possible I want it to show the rear wheel

image image

1 Like

Yeah, nice prototype ! Maybe just upgrade it cause it looks good to me if you want this point of view a bit back.

Maybe making the base on the board and for the camera but with a square stick (or a broom handle cut at each end with a square profile) in the middle of them. (Maybe stronger than a print with the length needed). So 3 part : c69f1789e2184320e88bf7a79330d8a991a0dd0f the will be if you could adjust the angle of it with an adjustable base on the board (but it as to be strong and locked … I see your problem ^^)

1 Like

Really like the idea of making the angle adjustable

The base I would to like to be quickly removable, since I have a hole in front I probably use that with a large washer and butterfly nut on the other side

One problem is that it’s have to be rigid or at least well damped, or the footage come out all blurry

To be honest I would prefer and Skydio R1 drone, if anyone is being generous this end of year I can pass my address in PM😁

I have an DJI Spark, but the autonomous follow me is not nearly reliable enough to low level following, if I put it above every obstacle and tell to follow me almost overhead it works great (until a tree blocks me for a few seconds and it looses track)

2 Likes

Now it’s the last ride

First, happy new year to everyone

Now, a few things, these 5055 motors have to go, today was the first day I took it outside my neighborhood and into the city center, in 100m of a hill it overheats and stall, and even after letting it cool a bit I had no brakes since it overheated again, almost went right through traffic, shame o lost @torqueboards Christmas sale, 6355 for 60 was a steal

Now to some vodoo, I have set the cutoff in vesc tool to start at 140°C and end at 150°C, but if you look at the metr logs they are cutting at 95°C

Also since I had nothing better to do I transformed it in a range test, and keep going around until the board barely moved, 31.7 km, on the last board with the same it lasted 44 km, but the riding conditions were nowhere near the same

Log for this build:

Log for the previous build:

And last, the Gummies allow me to leave my neighborhood in the weekends, as I said somewhere there are 3 main paths, a highway that’s not safe to ride, through a college campus, that’s the best route but closed on weekends and holidays and the one I took today that the road in really bad and has at least 100m of bad cobblestone, but now it’s doable :+1:t2:

1 Like

Damn I thought you were using 6355’s to begin with, it’s a huge step up from 5055’s. I previously used dual 5055’s and bought flipsky 6354’s which do the trick even on 97-110mm flywheels wheels. Now I have my hummie deck and unity in, it’s actually the best things that ever happened to my build. 35km/h seems pretty low in my opinion, then again I mostly do long stretches of street at 50km/h.

You should push your limits, live a little and grab some better motors. I did 35% incline and my dual set up (6354’s) weren’t even close to warm in coolish weather. Keep up the good work and happy new year :slight_smile: hope to see it progress!!

Edit: The torque these babies kick are the best, was killing the 35% incline at 45km/h :slight_smile: (10s5p Samsung 30Q’s just fyi)

Unfortunately no, in the previous build, with the motors mounted inward it wouldn’t fit 6355

Let’s see what I do, already put too much money in it so far, but I think with the 10S5P will be even worse since it will pump even more current to the motors

35 km/h is fine for me, but the board can go higher, it’s dead stable at this speed

I’m almost set in getting TB 6355 motors, any other sugestions? I could fit 6364, but didn’t find any sensored apart from Turnigy SK8 motors

The main requirement is that the shaft must have a length of at at least 32mm

Another day, another crack in the enclosure, using the black ABS together with a too thick ABS slurry definitely made the joints between pieces way weaker than my previous enclosure. The first was printed with natural ABS and glued with a thinner mixture, I tested before going forward with the enclosure design and you would break the part before breaking the joint

1 Like

Have you tried acetone bonding? Should chemicaly stick them together. Im not entirely sure though

1 Like

Yeah, unfortunately it’s too weak, as far I’ve found out, it work with most ABS filaments, but not with the one I use, the MEK worked great, I guess it has to do more with making it too thick than with the color

For now I’m using superglue on the cracks, you can barely see

1 Like