The Racers Room

No room for passing unless you get on the grass though. I think races on dirt will be the easiest to setup. Could pack it hard if you wanted. It’s also better if you fall. Pavement/concrete is expensive to maintain and you pay for it or it’s being used.

1 Like

There is room to pass, you just get a single car width lane instead of two.

Just look at this one though.

Riding a golf course would be super fun. It’s fun just riding around in a golf cart. I like the ideas of nice grass on the sides of the track too, haha. You have to admit the lanes are pretty narrow though. Maybe passing would still be possible but there’s only one way to find out. I could see lots of wipeouts on turns.

it also depends on the course. Some have narrower lanes than others.

Head to head racing with passes and teams and all that would be difficult there, true, but time trial style grand prix would work very, very well. With delays in start times and using the times to judge, passing would be reduced to a thrilling sideshow that could happen at any moment depending on how arrogant the rider is.

It would be a lot of fun to watch.

2 Likes

I was in Gatlinburg, Tennessee‎ last year for thanksgiving, staying in a cabin on a gold course. Had tons of fun racing around on the gold trails, so thats a great idea.

2 Likes

Yeah, I like time trails more anyways.

1 Like

Yeah agree with what you said. But before we can go big and crazy we need the riders. If you have enough poeple (e.g:40-60) and want to do an event, things are getting a lot easier. Usually the rate for an event is around 70-130$ for 2 days here with 2 hot meals per day. (switzerland/france/germay all around that number). With 40 poeple = gives you around 4’400.- (after meal and food costs) and about the same amount from sponsors and patrons of sorts. With that you can pay farmers around for delivering bales of straw to secure rocks, walls etc. Then another part goes to the public school and firefighters who deliver gymnnnastic mats of various sorts to secure posts, mountain walls, tunnel entrace and other sketchy shit on tight turns and parts where speed are going to be high. Then the rest of the money is used for medical staff, an ambulannce on point, organisation, time measurinng instruments and the whole clean up of the event afterwards.

As soon as you organise something official in europe, you are bound by law to generate a safe space for that event. So I don’t see that ever happening at the moment around my parts. The man hours to organise, the money and the poeple aren’t there yet.

1 Like

If I knew I was going to get into this hobby 10 years ago I would’ve bought that Condo where the back patio walks right onto the golf course, no gates! I was told that ownership includes membership to the course! Ended up not buying it because I imagine we would have golf balls breaking the windows

2 Likes

this is one of the venues.

Not ideal but a start.

6 Likes

that actually looks pretty good for an uphill bomb run.

1 Like

I hit up my local hill climb, Colingrove https://www.sportingcarclub.com.au/collingrove-hillclimb

the start

the middle

towards the top

see what they say… lots of camber on some of the corners :smiling_imp: be like a velodrome

7 Likes

I just thought of a funny spectacle for the Downhill course. You could have chariot races where two esk8 riders pull one DH skater back up the hill.

1 Like

haha I like it!

1 Like

@Cobber i want to go to there. That track. omg.

2 Likes

Do you guys like ride your skateboards for fun? Like where do you ride them? What type of terrain or trails or roads and for how long? I bet if you got a good sample of what people do for fun, you might find what will interest people for a race. All this hill climb talk and closed race courses sounds like dudes who never go out and ride or enjoy the existing world to ride through…the eskate racing should reflect real world electric skateboarding, do you do any? Or is this all about racing and you just race or come up with new races? I’m trying to find the essence or spirit or culture and ethics here and it’s all over the map, there is no uniformity to any of this and maybe you can find some consensus in reporting what you do enjoy for the fun of it…at the end of the day if it ain’t fun, no one will show up…so what do they (including you and I) all do for fun right now with your eskate? I ride the shit out of mine, miles and miles and explore the trails and roads all over town, I simply love it and I cannot wait for the next ride and I hate poor weather now, like a surfer hates little waves…are you guys skaters? or just racers? Are you interested in riding and enjoy it for the sake of it, or are you here just to beat others in a race? I’m curious what ethics this is trying to be built on…seems like lots of made up things for the sake of making them up while ignoring the reality…most eskaters are just commuting…like 80% of buyers, right? you want people to come, cater to them, not the exceptions. Not to mention, this is skateboarding, I would learn the history of skateboarding and find how this new genre of it, fits into the existing culture and what it can use and take and bound off of for the future…

Nobody wants to watch me cruising at 18mph shirtless and barefoot with a bag of skittles, but that’s what i do for fun. Usually on wooded paved trails. I’m an attractive guy, so maybe some people would like to watch that, but i wouldn’t call it an event. I mean ask my wife and she’ll tell you its a fucking event trying to get me to do anything i don’t want to, like put a damn shirt on. Or shoes. There are plenty of people that would watch that event. Just look at the numbers for those stupid reality shows people watch because they’re so disappointed in their own depressing lives.

distance and moderate casual speed are what’s fun and relaxing for me. carving back and forth down a windy ass canopy road. Boring as a spectacle unless you’re an artist appreciating my form and its fluid movements.

People watch races for a very different reason than those people have for participating in them. I watch them for the off chance of a crash. Also, for the hot dogs and soda and other fair foods they have at events like that. I also like to get a glimpse of the vehicles and riders, talk to people, kick over the porta-potties when somebody takes too long in them, all that good stuff.

4 Likes

God damn I needed this comment.

@squishy654 So are you trying to organisie a group ride or any form of competition? Don’t get me wrong I love my group rides, having a beer, take a break and grill some stakes and mayby even marijane visits. I love it its super fun.

But thought this is the “racers” Room. I would never support anything geurillia style, or public roads + competition.

PS: Lets leave ethics out of this discussion please. pretty pretty please.

1 Like

Imagine this is a sportbike forum @squishy654… and you are trying to convince the real racers they shouldn’t race on a track and they should race on the streets, cause you race to work and you think you are really fast and you have lots of fun so they should come and try it too and it will be really popular and everyone will come and try? Do you think you will come across as smart, skilled or fast? as for ethics you keep suggesting we race on open roads??? Its getting boring bro, this is the Racers Room, it sounds like you just need to organize a group ride dude. We all do that all the time we just don’t talk about it here :thumbsup:

edit: seems I got beaten to the draw

2 Likes

I sure am, 1st one is next month…open road race… https://www.facebook.com/events/544498112609078/

I’m all for pirate and gorilla open road races…we ride at our own risk all the time, or at least I do…come on and join me for a run, race like we ride, shirt off, with a beer, who cares…I do not believe eskate races will ever become a spectator sport. It’s a sport to experience and will bring participants, not observers. I saw this through experience, I actually helped create drone racing as you know it, which is now on TV and and funded by Disney…“sports” and non-sport competitions, like sport climbing, surfing, skateboarding, snowboarding all all subjective competitions of style, snowboard racing around gates lasted only a few years before people realized it’s lame and uncool…even ultra skate races are more for fun and the challenge, not beating the other people but testing oneself and there’s zero spectators and I bet you barely heard of it, but people travel the world to do it…I believe that racing without ethics, is not really worth doing, especially in skating considering it’s never been about what you do or how fast you are, but how you do it, and in what style (like having your shirt off, or shoes off and bombing a steep hill in San Fransisco)…skating is all style, always has been, always will be…style lives in ethics…not your speed, your time or your ranking…if you don’t use style when riding a skateboard then all your doing is standing on a toy plank with wheels…your speeds and ranges start to be meaningless without ethics…

huh :confounded: what does ethics have to do with validating speed and range unless you fabricated the numbers? and

ethics ˈɛθɪks noun 1.moral principles that govern a person’s behaviour or the conducting of an activity.

what are you saying? it is stylish to be un-ethical (as you want to break the law to race?)

2 Likes