The Pho3nix (3rd reborn): Trampa 35 HollyPro 12S4P ESCapes 6384 APS motors

Cool. So are the mounts from @Idea ? Also what KV is the motor and what pulley sizes?

Yes, these are the motor mounts from @idea and his wheel pullies too, the motor is the 6384 200KV 4000W from APS

2 Likes

15/60? 15/70?

14/72T are the pullies

Iā€™m not using any bms on this build, Iā€™ll be using a voltage meter for each cell group soon

I gotcha that makes sense. What about short circuit fusing, does the antispark switch have that built in?

Did you have any issues with the motor mounts as the ultimate trucks are 9.55 width where as the other trampa trucks are all 12mm. Do you feel like there is any weakness issues with the mounts going on the ultimate trucks?

1 Like

The trucks are the same dimensionsā€¦ With just a smaller diameter axleā€¦ only thing that changes is the bearingsā€¦

1 Like

Ah ok gotcha

1 Like

No, I donā€™t have any fuse at the moment.

Arenā€™t you worried about protecting your battery if thereā€™s a short circuit?

Not being aggressive, just interested.

Fuses can be dangerous. When the fuse blows you loose all throttle and brakes, if your doing 35 or 40 downhill that makes for a bad day.

If your VESC limits are set correctly, your wiring is done properly and your using an appropriate BMS a fuse is unnecessary.

1 Like

If your VESC limits are set correctly, your wiring is done properly and your using an appropriate BMS AND youā€™re using a correctly specced fuse then your fuse should never blow unless you get a short circuit, in which case youā€™re probably going to loose control of your board anyway, along with your board going up in flames.

3 Likes

Thanks Mike, you make a good point. However I was always under the impression that @michaelcpgā€™s chain of thought was correct. If everything is specced properly, your BMS will limit overdraw, and the fuse will only blow in the case of a short circuit.

I feel like we also donā€™t have a ton of evidence for super long term use of these boards and how wires will wear overtime in flexible style setups. I imagine that eventually a wire will wear through and having a fuse could prevent a catastrophic battery failure. Maybe its just paranoia?

A big part of this is that @Eboosted is using neither a fuse or a BMS and it makes me worry since I hate seeing such beautiful projects catch fire.

Ideally you only want a fuse to blow if there is a short circuit. Not during ridding. If your max battery amps is 60amps on vesc settings, maybe a 80amp fuse would work?

Fuses always makes me ride uneasy on every agressive push on the throttle, even more if I know I could loose brakes at full speed because the damn fuse blew.

A BMS has short circuit protection, but only after the battery, if there is a short in the battery itself then you are screwed either way, I used cell lever fuse on my Pho3nix build, Iā€™m relying on that for battery short protection.

1 Like

Short video from today! Enjoy :grin:

13 Likes

Wow, really great video :sunglasses: I have no idea how you manage to ride this tiny gaps between cars in traffic, guess you donā€™t wear a backpack :laughing:

1 Like

I had no backpack at the time, but I usually carry it.

Gaps look narrower than real life because of the GoPro wide angle.

This board is superfun to ride with crazy torque

2 Likes