THE Overkill - 4WD 36KW 20S13P 100+MPH build from scratch

The ESC is of interest what’s going on there? Hubs design is great for keeping the weight down but why so many P in the pack, surely a 7/8P would prove the point or is it to have long range as well?

A separate smaller P lipo pack for the speed challenge?

2 Likes

That’s a lot of power for a 7/8P pack. He will have too much voltage sag. If it was me though I would go with Lipos, you can get a lot more current out of them and if you are not looking for range, going with Lipos will shave a lot of weight.

6 Likes

If total weight is too little, this monster will lift off the ground or dig a hole in it :joy:

Is a kamikaze machine without wings.

1 Like

Yeah I mean a drop in P and switch to Lipo for speed attempts, but ok the sag needs to be compensated for

4 Likes

Wonder if there is anything else he is copensating for? :joy::joy:

2 Likes

The target is the NXT record. They utilize a number of factors to get that record, pro DH skater, light weight, controlled conditions

This is a different approach & realistically who knows? but I would be concerned that it is akin to trying to get a speed record out of a muscle car, mind yourself!

Ps. Was that record beat by MoeStooge?

2 Likes

This is impressive but to me it sounds like your building more of a vehicle that you stand than an esk8.

1 Like

For the sake of disclosing all the info…

The board was dead at the end of the run, the end of the run was a crash. I’m not sure the record matters or is valid.

11 Likes

Which board we talking?

2 Likes

The NXT board, speed world record.

3 Likes

Godspeed, you magnificent bastard.

This reminds me of a great quote from George Mallory. When he was asked why he risked his life climbing Everest, he replied “Because it’s there.”

Make sure someone else is there to record your speed run. We need to see that footage.

4 Likes

I mean dude really? Is a picasso painting a toy because it’s not a tool?

Hearing you call someone’s esk8 a toy because it’s not as practical as yours sounds hypocritical but then again I guess we should all just relax and enjoy this hobby however we see fit.

4 Likes

If anyone is interested in officially breaking the record, the board and rider are standing by ready. https://youtu.be/Hsj9guNrlmU

8 Likes

Yes.​

6 Likes

Are they still around? @ngv-nextboards

1 Like

No clue, haven’t seen then recently.

2 Likes

yea if you fall off right after the speed sensor going for the record, or maybe he fell off even at the speed sensor, that seems an invalid result. Im surprised guiness records accepted it.

I think moe came off at like 50mph with a crazy rear truck speed wobble, or maybe he was faster. there’s great video of it somewhere filled by bigboytoys I think

3 Likes

Considered going for LiPo packs but decided against it. Going by the maximum current i would need at least 3500mah 50C per motor, more realistic is something like https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-4500mah-5s-35-70c-lipo-pack-xt-60.html with 4 of them wired in series for each motor. It means total of 16, meaning 9 kgs of battery for 18AH capacity. 16 Pcs of 65E each + shitload of connectors costs same as 18650 pack. Could not go with one pack per board bencause it would not support the current. Packs are terminated with XT90 plugs which is barely acceptable for a single wheel. With my pack i go with XT150 and 6mm2 wires per each ESC.Afer the connector there is a capacitor bank, wiring between capacitor bank and ESC will be 16mm2. Output wiring also 10 or 16mm2 not decided yet. With LIion i get 40AH at 12,5 kgs. If i went hardcore for 2000mah 100c packs it would be lighter but with little usable range, only good for maximum acceleration test at 7 kgs lighter. Cost again same as 18650. Cycle life is another beast - lipo gets 100 cycles, HG2 gets 600 cycles at 20 amps to 80% capacity. At the smaller capacity i would go through the cycles twice as fast, meaning hg2 is 10x more durable than lipo. Charging the packs would be a nightmare, with 16 packs to charge and balance. This is after you get them out of the board. Each frigging time. So i went with liion 18650, 20700 have smaller energy and power per unit of weight (for now). 13P is the result of battery layout under the deck. If i went with 2 layers of cells it would be 9P which is too small - at max current each cell would get 60 amps, sag would be a problem. 3 layers let me fit 13 cells in pararel, which tops at 40 amps per cell, good enough.

6 Likes

@MoeStooge Speakig the truth i am in awe of what you accomplished already. Your creation is faster than existing record and after sorting wobbling it will get even faster. Perhaps even 150 Kph. You got there utilising conventional, orthodox methods improved steadily over decades. It is based on existing, high quality components. It is the safest approach and will yield good results over time, no discussion about it. My approach is throwing everything we know out of the window and starting form scratch with little knowledge about downhill speed skating and no experience. There exist no components meeting my criteria so i make my own, based on every bit of knowledge i can piece together to make some sense. I am 99% certain that my build will get to 100Kph safely. It is sturdier, stiffer and heavier than the board that i took to 70 Kph. After that there is a barren land, waiting for the first explorers to get there. I am 100% certain that my build will get speed wobble. Question is “at what speed”. And how to move this limit forward. My project will end big. All i do not know is whether it will be a big crash or a big record.

11 Likes

This is insane! I am super impressed at your still at custom winding your own hubmotors As well as custom designing your own VESC

You an engineer by day? :slight_smile:

2 Likes