THE Overkill - 4WD 36KW 20S13P 100+MPH build from scratch

Excellent :smile:

Just checked component list and it figures at $450-480 for components alone. So ready-made would be like $600, as it takes full day to assemble and test it. It does not use any chip from DRV family, as those are too weak and slow. Separate drivers for each group of mosfets are used instead.

9 Likes

I’d say so

2 Likes

600 for one or both?

That’s going in the back pocket :joy:

9 Likes

Unfortunately for one. If it was for a full set then my budget wouldnt be 9k but far less, now it figures: 4k for motors (trucks, donor motors, magnets, metal billets for machining) 2k for esc 1,5k for battery 500 for minor stuff like wiring, screws, some other electronics about 1000 yet to be spent on other stuff, eg. deck and covers.

@banjaxxed it is quite common idiom in Poland literally “Nie ucz ojca dzieci robić”. It means that you try to explain basics to someone well versed in the topic.

1 Like

what battery are you using? 18650s or lipo?

Read from the top.

5 Likes

ah ok. that’s one huge battery.

where he’s going, he don’t need physics… :grin:

5 Likes

Do you mind sharing where you got your magnets? I will need some for my own DD soon

And for N52 and your geometry I wouldn’t let the magnets get hotter than 55°C or you will enter permanent demagnetization temperature

But if you change them to N48H you would loose maybe 10% of max torque but could take them to 115°C

The main challenge is measuring how the rotor and magnets temperature relate to each other

3 Likes

The company i bought the magnets almost 2 years ago is http://www.aimmagnet.com/ Checked emails and they assured me that with this shape (5x6x40mm bar) and application (closed magnetic loop) i can take them up to 70C without permanent loss of magnetic force. Permeance coefficient is 0,8 for a single magnet but 1,2 for array of alternating poles, therefore 70C is possible. Today some companies already make N52H which is good to 120C. If it goes then replacing magnets is easy enough. Those are what i have and will use for now.

1 Like

Thanks, will add them to my list

I trust more in them than in me

I feel like I’d really appreciate meeting you man. Where are you based in EU? What’s the name of your company?

2 Likes

(Sits back takes a deep breath) Broooooo!!!

Legit. That is all. Oh, theoretical now. Big facts later.

3 Likes

This board needs self replacing underwear if it’s overkill

2 Likes

giphy%20(1)

10 Likes

Will this be ready for the Paris event in July? Would love to see this in action

I really like this build. I hope you get on with it how you want to. I love it when people are coming up whit stuf like: you can’t make it, it’s impossible…

We all know (or let me say most of us know) that all big changes are always comming from people out of the field, because they can think different :slight_smile:

Get on with it mate, I want to see the end rĂĄsĂźlt :slight_smile:

1 Like

This really isn’t going to end well…