The Orange Firefly | Turnigy SK3 6374-192kv | 10S3P 25R | VESC 6 | 3D-printed enclosure & motor mount | Custom deck

I got mine from two old CD drives I salvaged, however a quick search on ebay for “3mm steel rods” gives tons of results :slight_smile:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pcs-RC-Airplane-Stainless-Steel-Round-Rods-Axles-Bars-3mm-x-150mm-BT-M0K7-/282434753580?epid=872598568&hash=item41c26c542c:g:M~MAAOSwtZJY8s4N

You would just have to cut them to the right lenght etc.

I am glad you like my design :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My build is complete, remote is done and I have crashed a couple of times! Great fun :smile: (I made a little video)

2 Likes

Dude, that remote is awesome! Looks just like my boosted remote. Can you share the details of that remote cause it looks like its 3d printed? I would be curious to build a remote just like yours! Awesome job !

Thanks! Well I was heavily inspired by the design of the Boosted remote, its a very nice design. And you are right it is 3D-printed, in the same material as my motor mount :slight_smile:

It uses an Arduino Nano, a Hall sensor (throttle), a NRF24-modul and a few other easily availble components. I am planning to make a build thread/video within the next week. Would be awesome to make it open source, and develop it further!

7 Likes

dude that remote build thread is going to be awesome! Does it also give you the battery capacity like the real one? Wow, you even built the trigger activation which is so essential for safety. I have several boards but the boosted boards remote is by far the best one. The only thing I would change on the remote is the thumb wheel,I would add a slight knob to the middle of the thumb wheel just like the winning remote. When its hot outside and my hands are sweaty the thumb wheel slips and when its cold outside I cant feel the thumb wheel with my gloves. This could easily be improved with a slight nipple in the middle of the thumb wheel.

Wow amazing eboard, great job!! how much did you spend more or less?

@Chicagojoshua I hope so :slight_smile:! At the moment it doesn’t have a way of knowing the battery capacity of the board itself, because I am using UART on my VESC for another purpose - Bluetooth. It is however easily done as many have done it before me (copy-paste no time to waste), and I believe I could make it work with only a few software changes :wink:

The cool thing about 3D-printing is that you easlisy can modify the thumb wheel with a knob! I will try to implement this in the next version :slight_smile:

@oskuro I wonder… Well here it comes Batteries: 900DKK (140$) ESC (VESC 6): 2000DKK (310$) Motor: 600DKK (92$) Wheels & trucks: 500DKK (76$) Drivetrain : 180DKK (28$) Electronics: 500DKK (76$) Misc: 200DKK (30$)

More or less: 4880DKK or 748USD. And it was quite a fun process to build it :stuck_out_tongue:

Great build! I’m a huge fan of that hex grip tape. Did you buy it pre-cut or laser cut it yourself?

I need that tutorial, plz plz plz, if you can, put the code in the description of the video

@HTownBomber I am not sure what hex grip tape you are talking about? :stuck_out_tongue: I am just using regular grip tape, but thanks :joy:

@IsTalo I will make a topic about it as soon as I got the time. I am also waiting for a few components - so it will take a few days :slight_smile:

Do it now and them you update with the new parts, I really loved it. Does it have a Fail Safe? And could I modify the Stl to fit a oled display?

Looks like he’s talking about @Deathjunior s board.

Don’t worry it wont take long :stuck_out_tongue: The receiver has a timeout limit, so if the transmitter (remote) fails the board will slow down within half a second. The remote got the “kill switch”-function with a button that needs to be pushed down in order to transmit, is that what you where asking about?

And sure, if you could find a way to fit a bigger OLED display in the remote, it would be possible. At the moment I am using a 128x32px OLED display, which is plenty of space for basic information :slight_smile:

Yeah, this is what I was asking, my remote controller have a fail safe that brakes totally, so it’s not that good

My hex grip tape was about 3 hours of hand cutting many many hexagons out of black diamond grip tape with a razor blade. It was very very time consuming.

4 Likes

This is awesome. Looks just like a Boosted remote. You think I could use the housing and mechanism of a real Boosted remote? Same Hall sensor design right?

Thanks :slight_smile: The inner mechanism of the thumb wheel is also heavily inspired by the Boosted remote, with magnets and a Hall sensor. However I am not sure if the Boosted remote is big enough to fit the custom electronics, it will be a tight fit I believe… but maybe possible if you scrap the OLED, or not :stuck_out_tongue:

I am not sure if it will be an upgrade or downgrade of the Boosted remote’s electronics :joy:!

1 Like

What 3D printer do you have? Even in two parts, the surface area of each piece of the enclosure looks pretty large. Looks great!

I also have 3D printed wheel pulleys, PLA, been using them 4months now, no cracks yet, just print at 100% and just check them after every ride.

2 Likes