"The only thing your enclosure should be holding up is itself"

If you need silicon, use 2 part silicon made for pouring(mold making) its good and clean and sets up in a few minutes/seconds

every 2-part silicone I’ve ever used was the opposite of glue and wouldn’t stick to anything. 2-part polyurethane on the other hand, which comes from the same store as the 2-part mold-making silicone, does stick really well to everything (except silicone) and sounds like it’s cheaper than this 737 stuff and also can come in a bunch of different duro or cure time and color can be added or glow in the dark. I’ve always stuck my lipos to the deck with it and it sticks to the polyurethane shrink on lipos really well and I assume its the same polyurethane shrink on 18650s

4 Likes

The lesson I’m learning here is that with a fiberglass enclosure (or some other very ridged material) and a no flex deck mounting in the enclosure is ok. With an ABS enclosire and/or flex deck mounting to the deck is the preferred method. Is that correct?

1 Like

@Hummie i’m pretty sure the shrink on cells is polyvinyl chloride, or PVC. The other kind of heat shrink is polyolefin which is the stuff we use on wires.

@mmaner depends entirely on the box design. Look at Slick Revolutions, Koowheel, Boosted, literally anyone with a flexy deck and you’ll find a unique approach every time. SR did it the coolest though. Oh and i know how much you love and respect Trampa, so you might look at thier flexi box… hahahahahahahahahahahahha

i’m not a fan of flexi decks but i’d probably take the boosted or SR approach, or come up with something really out there.

Koowheel owned it for uniqeness in my opinion. they don’t even have a damned box, its a weird rubber cage and the components are all potted or encased in metal and removable. Only issue with them is stupidly cheap… i mean like crushing you business under a massive weight of bad decisions stupidly cheap… weld on the brackets holding the ESC in place. The potted the electronics making them practically bomb proof and then did a shit job tacking their brackets on… looked really last minute.

4 Likes

That’s correct @longhairedboy cell wrap is PVC and wire heatshrinks are pfte

1 Like

but every deck flexes a bit even the stiffest. I cant stomach a fully rigid enclosure imagining it will put stress on the bolts if the box is rigid too. maybe its possible to thermoform some bend points

2 Likes

They way I cope with this is to pre-drill the holes in th enclosure larger than the screws I’m using, sometimes I use rubber grommets in the pre-drilled holes and tighten down on the grommet, so the enclosure floats a little.

I’ve had issue with rigid enclosure cracking and breaking, but flexible enclosures tend be pretty much bomb proof (within reason).

4 Likes

Sorry guys, doing some research and have to revive this thread , ganna react to a few comments here and there :sweat_smile:

Don’t we all?

1 Like

It’s been about a good year, how about a poll to see the current consensus:

• Secure on Deck
  • Secure in Enclosure

0 voters

Yo Bearded Angel. Sorry to reply to an extremely old post, but since someone else bumped it already I figured it wouldn’t be a huge party foul.

Any chance you can provide some pictures of your grommet method? When you enlarge the drilled enclosure hole, would it make sense to slot it (in stead of just making the overall hole a larger diameter)?

I can when I get home, don’t have anything with me at the moment.

I mostly mount with M4 bolts in inserts, these days, so drill the enclosure holes at 5mm. This way the bolt slips I’m but the head covers the hole. I’m also using foam on the perimeter of the enclosure to float it, works great. That’s what I would suggest.

2 Likes

So I realized after having to fix my board that industrial velcro is super strong. I could barely get the battery off the board. Its wrapped in some squishy material but I really had a hard time getting it off. Basically my enclosures been holding up the vesc and that’s basically it. I’m going to go easier with the screws. Probably just use 4 now instead of 6.

3 Likes

I ended up doing both ways… unfortunately can’t vote for that… Battery is secured to deck with velcro and ESC is secured to enclosure with velcro.

Tried 15 pound Velcro, still came loose guess its because im always tossing my board to the ground from knee height…

2 Likes

Yea I never throw mine down. I typically push start. I prefer to conserve battery

2 Likes