The nicest hub motors! For sale cheaper than anywhere!

Bro, share the road, bro! Lol Was brotard just mad that you guys were there? Or did you pass him and he got butt hurt?

i agree in every point, but the lower kv should stay cooler cause the motor would run closer to it’s max efficiency. would reach 40km/h also with the lower kv’s and nobody rides faster than that.

The guy in the video told us it wasn’t the best place for skateboards before we even started. I really only did three laps and tried to win him over but he wasn’t having it. Funny thing is I know the guy pretty well because we used to race bikes a lot together two years ago. He doesn’t recognize me. He was super nice to me when I had spandex on back then.
This speed attempt was on FOC and there’s a wind and it’s a bit of s rough surface. I bet I could do 30 on the bldc program and the right day, maybe add some spandex.

1 Like

That 60mph board looks sweet. Time to steal some design cues haha

Yeah my thought is that the adapter is permanently glued on the truck instead of the motor allowing for bearing maintenance

I get it now. Good idea. As it is now, as you know, the big bearing with the hubmotors is trapped unless the motor’s glue is cracked loose. It’s a big bearing and should last a long time but still it needs to come out. Ive tested red loctite and it will hold the torque of the motor but is still easy enough to spin off with a two pin spanner wrench that fits in the stator holes and with all steel thats good enough and simpler. It works. It’s easy and cheap. To have another piece made as you drew I think it would be good, maybe preferable, but I don’t want to add the complexity and cost. Long two pin spanners that fit the holes aren’t hard to come by.

I can’t really tell if the air is being sucked in or blown away, have you tested the flange with the airscoops also?

1 Like

Air scoops didn’t work. It relied on forcing air in while the centrifugally forced air wants to go out.

This piece works though. Have to wait till the hardware store opens and get the right size bolts to see how well

Just a thought:

Have you considered designing two hub caps to create a pressure differential from one side of the hub to the other?

Based on the designs I have seen, and my understanding of the Bernoulli principle, it would mean that two hub caps could be designed to work in symmetry. One to increase air pressure - forcing colder air into the hub, and the other on the other side of the hub to decrease air pressure within the hub (pulling warmer air from the hub).

@Lizardking0069’s photo of a Yuneec motor showed a single impeller on the motor shaft, why not have one on each side of the hub motor?

I am sure someone could come up with a 3D printed fan design to go on both sides of the hub to increase the efficiency and volume of airflow through the vent holes.

What do you guys think?

That flat impeller looks like the one on these 55mm heli motors:

So today i finally had enough confidence to go full throttle and did a pretty fast run for 20+ minutes, the outside weather temp was +/- 24Âșc and the motors measured up to ~100ÂșC after the run. The cool thing is that the truck actually works as a heatsink (was to hot to mallgrab the board, lol). But i also want to emphasize that using heat resistant bonding / epoxy is very important! (for the guys who mount the wheels them selfs). Top speed maxed out at 41.8km/h using a 10S s.p.a.c.e-cell. Don’t think ill ever ride this fast on normal commutes though, but it sure is fun as hell to over take people on racing bikes and scooters haha. Confidence is growing and love my board more and more every ride. Going to order a full face helmet now though, just to be safe :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Been riding these motors last couple of days, they rock! I’m traveling around the US at the moment and rode down my hotel hallway. These don’t like carpet! Got too hot to touch lol but they were fine afterwards, sweet!

I am using FOC but is it possible to add some startup boost in BLDC tool so I can get going without much of a kick?

1 Like

I think you just need to give it more throttle then a normal belt drive setup. From riding my own, I noticed they don’t like anything below 5amps of power but once you give it that initial start-up power then you should be fine. I’d imagine it’s the same with the hub motors you have but not sure haven’t tested SteelHubs yet.

From Jacob’s youtube videos, he set his Start Up Boost to 0.090 for his hub motors.

you should repeat that with bldc for a top speed measurement, would be interesting to see the difference! :sunglasses:

good news!. Tomorrow I’ll borrow a camera and I think I’ll be able to show you some awesome mountain climbing. I finally got around to testin the temps of the new steel motors I’ve been riding. Stunningly cool. I started with thermometer in hand riding with evohyax with him on the blue goo version and we went up the local hill to see what temps we’d hit. To see how bad his were. There are different parts on the motor we took measurements but overall it was something like 175 to 115. He has blue goo but the blue goo were not much hotter than the regular purple. later after he left I did laps on the same bump at full speed (same one I do in the videos) and hit max 140f before my battery died. Why is the steel cooler? I don’t know They’re almost the same motor other than the center is steel, the magnets are less strong but with a smaller airgap. On a magnet pull calculator they show almost the same though. Less strong closer vs stronger farther away. My first set of motors that I never successfully rewound after they shorted against the housing also had the same small airgap and I remember them being much cooler. ( I asked them to add a smidgen more airgap for mechanical safety’s sake on the big purple batch) . I have no answers only my trusty thermometer’s results and guesses so far today but tomorrow
who cares and I want to go up a mountain!! And then down!!

4 Likes

Today I was looking at Stary’s hub motor
and with each version they 've moved the motor more to the back, outside the urethane. They started with something like this:

to finally end up with something like this

Imgur

They didn’t go all the way like CARVON, but enough to make it look good and get rid of the heat.

So maybe you could include some of these changes in the next version:

• bigger motor = less heat
  • motor moved a little bit outside the urethane = less heat
  • proper hubcap that covers motor outside the urethane so it can act as a heatsink delivering the heat to the truck axel
  • if the motor is moved outside maybe there will be enough place for putting this fan inside
  • bigger urethane 90mm for higher top speed as well as for comfortable riding. When it comes to urethane nobody mentions it here. But, the truth is once you go 90mm there is no going back 83mm :slight_smile:
1 Like