The legitimacy of a trademark on an opensource design

@trampa reminds me of donald trump.

4 Likes

Just want to be clear, I’m not forcing anyone to do anything. I was just suggesting that if he wanted to sell ESCape’s without worrying about getting hassle from trampa about case design then an option could be to let the community sort out case designs.

Off topic…It’s so weird that Frank always write his name at the end of his post, It’s not like anyone else replies on his behalf. This is a forum, not a letter or work email.

Mike

5 Likes

Think he’s trying to be more professional despite the fact that his posts are PR nightmare. (vague, unspecific, talking more than necessary)

2 Likes

Well now this was an exciting thread to wake up to

2 Likes

Surfing on a hate wave during shitstorm. What a day.

1 Like

You’re not allowed to say that. I’ve patented responding on a forum, m’kay? Just a suggestion if you want to avoid a bunch of legal troubles and everything. Not telling you not to respond, but just as long as you know it’s patented. If you respond, people could become confused and think it’s me responding. Readers have come to depend on my posts and you posting can confuse them, making them think they’re reading my posts.

8 Likes

Oh I didn’t know that was a thing, is it ok if I maybe change my posts so they are “dissimilar” to yours?

7 Likes

ROFL, my coworkers are looking at me weird because Im laughing my ass off right now :slight_smile:.

5 Likes

Ok, it was a lot of work but I was able to move the previous discussion over here. Please keep the rest of this discussion civil and appropriate. Thanks.

10 Likes

let’s tear trampa apart boys :smiling_imp:

5 Likes

Let me repeat, PLEASE keep it Civil and Appropriate.

9 Likes

Thanks for your time and work Nama There is some useless banter there but also some solid information that is pertinent to our community.

1 Like

let’s POLITELY tear trampa to shreds with factual evidence and cited sources.

8 Likes

More like lets discuss the effects of competition on a monopoly in a free market, and the gain for the consumer.

8 Likes

Well lucky for everyone, this forum is much more than just EU.:grin::joy:

1 Like

A factual summary thus far

Vedder’s ESC project has always been opensource hardware, opensource software. Anyone is free to duplicate it exactly as long as they credit Vedder in line with the GPL.

Vedder has a trademark on “VESC” so no new users (after his filling date) in the marketplace can use “VESC” to describe their electronic speed controller.

frank claims to have a world wide registered design on a box with 5 cables.

Where to now?

1. frank needs to provide us all with his registered design number so we can all do a search in our country/region of origin to see what the design is. In Australia I would search here: http://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/adds2/adds.adds_simple_search.paint_simple_search

2. Not only does there need to be a lodged design in your country/region the design needs to have been examined in your country/region to be enforceable otherwise it is meaningless, anyone can claim anything.

9 Likes

So I have one question: @trampa You are saying you have a “patent” or some kind of a legal protection on your design. If so, why isn’t there any proof. If you would have/own said protection on your “design” why are you typing all the nonsense where you could have shut all our mouth with only one post by proving that you own the design patent or legal protection or whatever you call it.

So for me any discussion or rant about it is obsolete.

In my opinion Benjamin Vedder ist the one almost no one talks about. Please consider to support him by sending him support in form of a donation (Hope this is still his PayPal Address:https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=7ZMDJJFHUSCV4&lc=US&item_name=vedder.se&currency_code=EUR&bn=PP-DonationsBF%3Abtn_donateCC_LG.gif%3ANonHosted ) . He is the one behind all this who deserves that, offering the community the plans for a piece of high tech for free. I think he deserves that.

And please, I know people are upset about trampa trying to get the best in his interest but please get you things together, get over it and please don’t be so destructive. This community is about helping each other not ranting and hating… This will not get us far.

Just my two cents. Ron

3 Likes

The multiple metaphors have confused me to the point where I’m not sure if I can wear these anymore… And if that’s the case should I call Vans Or Supra customer service to file my grievance?

3 Likes