The legitimacy of a trademark on an opensource design

Lol, yeah I literally went from considering maybe trying some of their products to “well that made up my mind regarding a Trampa or that new, absolutely gorgeous LaCroix board.”

1 Like

This is what I find to be the most puzzling thing regarding this whole issue. It’s not about the actual hardware, it’s about the box it’s kept in, lol.

1 Like

look familiar to anyone?

2 Likes

Wait wait, don’t tell me… Were these around before @trampa started making them? Oh that would be so priceless…

1 Like

Well this is a lovely little sh*t storm to walk in on!

I’ve been researching and planning an eMTB build for half a year now, with only recently starting to buy parts as someone finally starting making a decently priced ESC based on vedders 6.4 opensource design. I do love trampa parts as I’ve been riding one of there mountainboards for over 5 years now, but they have progressively been getting more and more expensive. A £300 VESC was the only thing holding me back from going electric. Easy to find cheaper but better motors (APS 6384s) but not so on the ESCs I wanted.

But as others have just started to notice, with this argument about design innovation and 1:1 copies, I find it incredibly ironic seeing as trampa’s trucks and bindings are literally exact 1:1 copies of MBS!

Look at this and click on the truck pic to see whole gallery

Looks like MBS baseplate and Trampa hanger. It’s so similar that I thought that in some point of time Trampa grow out of Scrub or maybe Scrub was inspired by Trampa :wink:

Also those are almost identical

Would like to know the story :wink:

1 Like

Trampa’s logo is bigger, therefore it’s different!

lol as someone who studies engineering i beg to differ. you seem to know very little about design and technology.

I don’t study any forms of engineering

But this is retarded

2 Likes

A truck is a piece of technology and it can be made in various design styles. The Spring Truck concept is probably 100 years old. You will be amazed what people have patented back in the 1920ths for roller skates.

Still a Trampa Trucks looks different to a MBS and a Scrub. The technology was used by various brands, but everyone used a different design. We introduced the all metal baseplate with cutouts and spring adjusters cut straight into the baseplate, proper spring retainers and Trampa Dampas, + new kingpin/bushing concept. while the scrub trucks didn’t have adjusters at all and used a catastrophic bushing design failing soon after first usage + you couldn’t adjust he steering at all. The truck was pretty much useless. Then MBS copied our baseplate on the Matrix II before they moved back to plastic injected baseplates, which are cheaper to make.

A Ronin Truck looks different to a Caliber and a Paris etc. That is a matter of design. They all look different featuring a similar functionality. All of the trucks share the same technology but feature a different design. Ronins additionally make use of a second pivot point support, which is an innovative feature.

Technology is technology and design is design. This is why you can’t patent a design in Europe and many other countries on the planet. You can file a design for a design and patent for technology. Sometimes design and technology go hand in hand sometimes they have nothing to do with another. When there are many options on the table how a product could look like, then the physical appearance is a matter of design. In most cases there are plenty of options on the table to shape things. Bicycle frames differ in design, despite most using the same basic structural principle.

Frank

Riiiight? I usually keep my nose out of shit that doesn’t involve me but goddamn that made my head hurt.

Crap is still crap whether it comes from a cow, horse, dog or person. Why did you copy those trucks from scrub @trampa

So stop threatening people with your bullshit legalese over how your design (a box FFS) is protected. You cannot enforce this mythical protection you keep talking about, if you can’t enforce it then it in fact does not exist.

The fact is you are on the wrong side of this. You are only hurting Ben and yourself. If you keep using these fortune 500 tactics when in fact you are barely a small business then what little revenue you still have is going to dry up…and you will be the only one to blame.

4 Likes

I want to correct you on some of these assumptions.

Trampa is by far smaller than MBS, you see a lot of builds here on this forum but in the rest of the world MBS is the standard for mountain boards.

You would be very very wrong. This is a perfect example of how a website and marketing can create false illusions. Enertion is about 100 times bigger than Trampa, and Enertion is not a big company on the international scale.

2 Likes

How do you know?

Maybe the Problem is that the box Looks identical…at first glance… on the bottom you have two cable for the battery and on the top three for the Motor. on top you have the connectors for misc. so a noob could easily mistaken this esc with the trampa vesc6 what violates the Trademark? So the solution would be to rearrange the the cables and it doesnt violate anything anymore?

Maybe if your Helen Keller! If you can’t manage to read the huge logos on each of them and the see that the colors are different I really don’t know what to tell you.

vescs

Plus there is the fact that the ESCape will soon have a dual VESC enclosure option that Trampa doesn’t offer, at least yet. They will prolly steal that too.

5 Likes

@mmaner only vesc6 can have 3 wires per motor…

propriety…

trampa tech, have you heard of tech? this is a concept ngv introduced

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:.

4 Likes

Well… firstly i do not take any side! i just say my opinion!

Secondly please dont handle me like a Little kid. Just in case it is night and you dont have much light you cannot clearly see the difference… well maybe it is over exaggerated but please just get my Point. it is not impossible to confound These two escs…

1 Like

Narrator: In A.D. 2018, war was beginning. Community: What happen ? Stewii: Somebody set up us the bomb. (spoken in the Flash animation as Someone set up us the bomb) Stewii: We get email. Community: What ! Stewii: Main screen turn on. Community: It’s you !! Trampa: How are you gentlemen !! Trampa: All your VESC are belong to us. Trampa: You are on the way to destruction. Stewii: What you say !! Trampa: You have no chance to survive make your time. Trampa: Ha Ha Ha Ha …

But I do love your boards…

5 Likes

I’m not, I swear Im not, Im just so exasperated by these arguments. I honestly does understand how anyone could get these 2 confused. If these 2 pieces of gear are confusing, I would guess jugs of milk in the grocery store are so confounding as to cause a total mental breakdown. God forbid someone look at purchasing a printer or monitor, it must cause city wide panic!

1 Like