The LANDWHEEL electric hub drive

Start watching this video at the 4:40 mark.

Cold is definitely not good for batteries. Not sure why the Boosted’s 123 were fine by LiPo weren’t.

But overall very good results from someone who has ridden many boards.

Yeah, I have seen the video from FabTra about the Landwheel, it looks like that has it all but unfortunately I did not get it why the board shut down during the rides, with both batterys on a hill… Was it the cold weather the main reason? I really don’t know… He wasn’t clear about it also. So, the doubt will be on spot in my opinion. I would like the Landwheel would pronounce about it.

1 Like

I still have the first version of their deck that is curved.He mentioned he missed that part :slight_smile:

Did you watch THIS video? The beginning of it was the battery failure part on a different day that was colder and he tried it ahhh when it was on a slightly warmer day.

From my knowledge, batteries do not perform well in the cold or if it’s left in the cold. I’ve had my phone on a magnetic mount on the A/C car vent in the summer and the battery drains 50-60% after an hour because of the cold air.

He wasn’t the owner of that Boosted board in the video, so my assumption would be the Boosted came from a warm house, and the Landwheel came from Fabian’s car that sat in the cold for a day or two which depleted the battery. This is probably why the Boosted didn’t fail as cold affects all batteries negatively.

Luckily I live in Southern California. Not really ever cold enough to happen to me

What he mentioned was concave. I think you have that mistaken with camber. I have a Boosted as well as the Loaded Flex 3 deck. They have camber and no concave which is what LW copies.

1 Like

No the first version is Radial :slight_smile:

You know what I meant.

1 Like

I’m sorry. But no I didn’t :confused: concave, radial, rocker and camber are all new words for me. I’ve just called the boards that they are bent one side or the other :grin: So if I understand you correclty now, concave and radial is the same?

there are different kinds of concave (lets not get into that) but yes, radial is a type of concave

1 Like

radial is just a TYPE of concave. Concave is a general term for curvature along the width of the deck. It helps with control in turns as well as the feel of a board under your feet. The camber helps with absorbing vibration

2 Likes

alright thanks for the info :slight_smile:

The quality of FabTrav ‘review’ is pure. Landwheel performance was not convincing.

I was amazed his review was still positive. The negative aspect is definitely due to the cold

1 Like

The best way to re-attach the rubber to the back is 3M ME77 sprayglue. Its available at most hardware stores, home depot, Lowes, etc.

1 Like

So I’ve been in Florida with the family for the past week and had a chance for my first long range test. I rode on very rough roads/sidewalks with a lot of stop and go. I tested the L3-x with two L3-X batteries wired in parallell. Others were getting 4.2 miles of range on 1 L3-x battery. As I suspected, I got better than 8.4 miles.

Instead, I got 10 miles of range. I ran the batteries down to nothing which may have been a mistake. One of my two L3-x batteries is down to 33 volts and won’t trigger the charger to go in to charging mode. No problems with the second L3-x battery. The one with the problem is the white Prototype that I recieved prior to the L3-x production run started.

I’m hoping the battery recoves enough overnight to take a charge. I’ve tried bosting the malfunctioning battery a few times by plugging it into the same dual set-up board with a fully charged battery. I can tell it is sucking up current from the second battery becasue after a few minutes the source battery is depleted enough to go back on the charger and triggers the red charging light.

I’ll try again tomorrow to see if the battery recovers and may try boosting the battery a few more times to try to get it above 33 volts.

I’m open to any suggestions.

Has anyonw else tried a dual battery set-up with the L3-x? DevoCut? Technotron?

Anyway, the good news is that the 10 mile dual battery range is impressive for a stop and go run with tonnes of braking at dozens of intersections and scores of large sidewalk pot holes.

The Acceleration and braking were smooth and “fool proof” There was no way to over accellerate or over brake. I have an injured knee so I in consideraton of the poor sidewalk/road condition, I tried to keep the speed very slow.

Even still, my GPS says I hit 19 mph. The large wheels did a great job of absorbing road imperfections. Mounted on my Flex1 board the ride was incredibly smooth despite the horrible surface I was riding on.

While the Acceleration is not anywhere close to boosted board, I’ve actually learned to appreciate that. I’m starting to apperciate the option to move my thumb to full throttle and let the landwheel modulate a nice smooth acceleration curve.

Same thing for braking. I could definitely stop 1 - 2 car lengths sooner on my boosted boards, but I’ve learned to appreciate how the landwheel makes it impossible for me to make a mistake that could throw me off balance. I’ve got a miniscus tear right now that’s affected my balance. I’m actually way more comfortable on the landwheel than on my boosted boards. We’ve been in Florida for a week and I all of my riding has been on the Landwheel or my onewheel. The boosted boards have not come out of the RV storage bins.

I’ve taken lots of video to edit together a review. I hope to get some drone footage before the holidays are over.

I saw the Fabian Video. Its no surprise that the cold weather tests did not go well. The new Landwheel ESC does a lot of thinking to keep the battery above critical voltage. His batteries were frozen in the trunk of his car befroe he started.

Over all, it was a very positive review. He says he hit 45 kph which is pretty darn fast. I won’t be taking mine up to that speed.

Fabian also did a great job of reviewing the best features of the Landwheel. Easy to swap wheels and batteries, buttery smooth brakes, easy to swap to a different board, More reliable and better priced than mellow boards.

I think the Fabian review will work out well for Landwheel.

3 Likes

I’m not gonna do anything. I’ve got an agreement with the seller from earlier that they would ship it complete with the wheels.

Everyone talking about the swappable battery and you get a better range. What’s the point of having a battery that do only 5 miles/8km where other competitors can do way more and you have to carry 2 or 3 batteries. And these batteries are not light in weight. Agree on the braking of the landwheel very smooth and way better than the evovle down hill, the remote also is awesome better again than the old evolve remote (they released a new one and apparently it’s awesome and have a dead man switch). Speed wise it is fast … and to be able to custom your board it’s great. For me the negative of this board is the range, the tires are a bit too soft they do break on rough surface. I have not enquire any issue with the electric so far so touch wood!! This is what I think of the landwheel

I do agree with your comment on it being lame to carry three batteries to get the range some other board can do with one. That’s the hardest thing for me with this board since all my other board get around or over 20 miles (except Boosted)

The thing is, Landwheel, like many esk8s came about due to the popularity of Boosted which advertised 7 mile of range ON ECO so I get about 4 on Pro which is the only mode I use. LW probably used that as a starting point in their design. Just with that fact, slapping the Landwheel on a Flex 3, I get a board that is comparable to a Boosted Board in terms of ride quality and range. But not in quality as Boosted can take a beating and still be reliable.

Now that Landwheel has gotten the ESC to perform well, I think a new design would be best for their next drive system, by that I mean a new unit where we will no longer expect a replacement unit as the L3x seems to finally perform as promised/advertised 2/3 years ago. As long as this drive works for one year, then they will no longer the responsibility to stand behind their warranty with replacements.

The original drives came with 99wh batteries which once again matches the Boosted and would be allowable on flights. They have move away from that flight allowability and increased the battery past the 100wh flight limit in the recent 3 iterations, so making a long/wider battery should no long be a question. Just make a larger battery and battery compartment to increase range.

Lastly an improvement I’m thinking about and not sure possible is… can the BMS be moved out of the battery? Like put it in the charger or in their drive unit? That way the batteries have more room for extra cells thus more range per battery.

2 Likes

Ive been following this post since sometime ago. I really think Landwheel is taking the right direction to produce a quality product by listening the riders opinions and accepting their improvements suggestions. BUT, at least for me, their electric skateboards still seat behind in terms of quality and reliability in comparison to other boards of the same and even low price. A 2018 electric skateboard with only 4/5 miles of range it’s disappointing and for most people isn’t enough for their daily commute. I know Boosted Boards are a much more expensive brand that also possess a very short range and like Landwheel I don’t consider them a good deal. I possess a Kooboard from Koowheel, which had some problems in the hub motors and bearings, and after all I still consider them a better option for the price. Of course the capacity to choose the deck and attach the Landwheel drive is a plus but the problems don’t worth it…

I’m still frustrated over how diffret they handle the customers. I have yet to get my problem solved and have gotten no answer from Jason. Hopefully I’ll hear from him this week :slight_smile: (I know it’s been holidays now)