The LANDWHEEL electric hub drive

Sure I hear noise. but I think that I do not mind when riding outdoors.

Can anyone with a current L3-X comment on the real-life range? is it really 7 miles or is it closer to ~5 miles? are replacement batteries a must or is having a single battery a useable experience?

Hey guys,

Here is the YouTube video that describes our new version. Please kindly check it.

Landwheel

2 Likes

Thatā€™s Wren in that thumbnail. Heā€™s a good OneWheel rider.

210lbs. On flat. This is what I got

3 Likes

At just under 5 miles I would say get a second battery just in case

1 Like

I am about 180lbs. Should be getting my own L3-x setup up and running very soon (within the next two days). I will test it to see what kind of range iā€™m getting. Youā€™re likely right that I will need a second battery if I want to ride it for any considerable amount of time.

1 Like

Itā€™s all about not getting stranded. One battery means I can only go 2.3 miles from home and have to return.

1 Like

Iā€™m considering getting two extra batteries shipped from landwheel. Weā€™ll see soon enough. Shipped to me the cost was quoted at about $232. considering a single swappable battery from Inboard costs $250, Iā€™d say itā€™s a pretty fair price.

OK! I received the L3-X (V5) unit today, and immediately bolted it onto a brand new Loaded Fattail deck. I noticed that using just the tools provided in the box, it can actually be quite awkward to put on the back truck since the hangar cannot easily be removed and moved aside to mount the baseplate. I was able to do this with the front truck, which made using the skate tool a breeze, but the skate tool cannot get to the front bolts while the truck is fully assembled. Moving on. I got the board assembled, waited for the battery to fully charge for a little under two hours. Time for the first ride- here are some observations.

1. The remote is fantastic- The acceleration curve is nice and smooth and very well adjusted, and has a braking curve that matches well. Although the ā€œbraking zoneā€ on remote is very small, it is still very easy to brake in a controlled manner, and to a complete stop (even on a downhill). I know that braking was an issue on the V4, but in my opinion, the braking on this unit is just about perfect. I like that I can slam on the brakes completely and It will not throw me from the board. I believe this is the best implementation of brakes on e-boards.
  2. Power- this thing is no slouch. The acceleration curve is well designed which means that itā€™s almost difficult to have the board shoot out from under you like some other boards do. That being said, this drive will get you up to speed very about as quickly as you would ever want it to. I usually give my boards a kick push before starting to engage the throttle, but starting from a standstill on this board is no problem at all and is also very smooth. I rode on a flat bike path tonight, and got up to 25 mph and felt completely in control. I spent most of the time cruising just below 20 mph, and it felt fantastic. I will include photos of my garmin watch, which I used to track the stats on this ride.
  3. Battery- a large part of what got me excited about this board was the swappable battery. I knew the range would not be enormous, but I am slightly disappointed. I had guessed that I would go 5 miles on a single charge, but I only got to 4 miles flat. DISCLAIMER there are a few factors to take into account her that I should mention- first of all, this is the first time I am using the battery, and the range is said to improve after a few charge cycles. Second- it was below zero tonight, and there was definitely some wind. Combined, I understand that these factors could have severely impacted my range. I hope this gets better, but even so, I will be ordering extra batteries soon.
  4. Everything else- Overall I love this thing. Itā€™s fast, itā€™s fast enough to get me smiling like an idiot, and does so with the polish and feel of something much more expensive (like a boosted board). It helps that I put it on s very nice deck, but I have to hand it to @Landwheel, they really crushed it on this one in my opinion. The thicker urethane/larger wheels is a game changer. This ride is incredibly smooth and takes pebbles/gaps in the pavement (of which there are plenty where I ride) like a champ. Although I canā€™t say anything in terms of long term reliability or durability, this thing feels solid, and so far Iā€™m blown away. AWESOME.

TL;DR Top Speed: 25mph confirmed Range: 4 miles- take this with a grain of salt, my testing conditions were poor Charge Time: just under two hours Overall: dope. Here Are some photos

you can just barely see the rear corners of the drive poking out on either side of the deck at the back. overall a solid fit.

Was worried about the drive not handling the curves of the board well, but itā€™s no problem.

5 Likes

Sounds great. Nice to know that they fixed all those issues. Now it is a question of reliability. Only time will tellā€¦ Man, but 4 miles only? Even if it was 5 miles, itā€™s almost nothing! How much is a spare battery for that? Iā€™m also interested in getting the L5-X but knowing that, that it has a very short range, I donā€™t feel to get one yet unfortunately. Meepo board has a much longer range for the same price per example, right? Please keep us updated. Thank you for your review!

@Mikenopolis and @Penny_Pincher

Which speed mode with the range test?

I used fast mode for the test

Iā€™m most likely going to get two extra batteries, which will cost about 230 USD total shipped to me. Even though this all sounds expensive, i would say that having ridden a meepo board and this, they are not in the same league. The Landwheel is incredible. I think with better conditions / more charge cycles, 3 battery packs will get me close to 15 miles, which is further than any of my rides has ever been.

Always fast mode but ridden at reasonable speed. I never pushed it hard because that would really drain it. Throttle was maybe 3/4 way up most of the time.

Do these hub motors get hot after swapping packs

1 Like

What does swapping packs have to do with hub motor heat? Did you mean to ask if the hubs get hot after running running for 4 miles? It was warm but not hot

Added miles, a standard pack will generate so much hub motor heat but adding more miles(swapping batteries) might show different results than if you rode a single pack, like a substantial spike in heat after swappping the battery once

1 Like

@Mikenopolis and @Penny_Pincher Thanks!

I donā€™t currently have any extra batteries, so I donā€™t know if they heat up all that much. From what I can tell (although I am in very cold wether at the moment) these get just barely warm to the touch after pushing it hard without stopping until the battery pack wears out. I donā€™t think heat will be an issue with these. Rode it again today, and taught my girlfriend to ride it. She has some skateboarding experience and no e-boarding experience, but after about 5 minutes of riding the board up and down a hill, she was cruising on fast mode at about 18 mph no problem and felt confident and in control. Clearly @Landwheel have been doing some good work because Iā€™ve never seen anyone pick up riding an electric longboard so quickly. now if only I could ride it for more that 4-5 miles at a timeā€¦ I really need to get my hands on those batteries.

4 Likes