The Heavyweight | Custom Deck | Roja Hybrid Trucks | SK3 6374 149kv | Custom Hub Motors | 10S3P | VESC

Are you logged in? It wont work if you’re not.

How is he posting without being logged in? I smell black magic…lol

1 Like

well, I just went to the oldest topic (that I created), and low and behold, it doesn’t have a pencil symbol…

Shazaaaam!! I’ve noticed missing buttons before too

Maybe he logged out afterwards… lel

maybe old threads get locked… or maybe you need to dump your browser cache.

Small update, have been busy from dusk tell dawn and finally got a chance to lay some carbon

Did not turn out perfect but am more than happy with the results as the deck is now stiff as!

1 Like

LOOKS LIKE A WEAPON! - how much is this beast weighing in these days>?

Am not to sure actually, and no scale in the house to check. The name of this build definitely still holds true though! And it will be getting heavier still, now that I have decided to go the all wheel drive route.

Just thought I’d mention that the unidirectional carbon that you used is generally stronger by weight, compared to bidirectional weaves like the 6k you used.

It takes engineering to take advantage of that strength, which is huge in tension. it seem like you may have layed up a flat plate of unicarbon, and as such that would have very little resistance to torsion.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=48651&start=25

Having your 3D shape on the bottom will improve stiffness to weight, and 30, 60 or 45 degree bias orientation also is necessary.

Yea that’s why I got the unidirectional in the first place, figured it would work out to be stronger, but like you mentioned it definitely needed to be layed up properly to gain the strength. When reading about it, there was mention that the reason why it is stronger compared to 6k is because there are no overlaps, which is not good for torsional strength. Could have been that I simply needed more layers, or more than likely to do more than just a 45 degree bias. In the end, what really helped gain stiffness was the hardwood pieces that I put down to make the enclosure for the battery. Finally took the board out for a ride yesterday, and it was at the perfect stiffness.

That deck in the link you posted is a beauty!

It’s the outside that determines stiffness, for most all cases. Any carbon that’s not the outermost layer, is just kind of expensive but not adding strength.

If the core is lightweight that’s generally preferable too. Structures like bicycles are hollow, and they barely sacrifice any strength and can still be made incredibly stiff.

Ideally time and resources would have been on my side and I would have made a negative mold so that it all could have been done in one layup. The result with doing it the way I did is a heavier product but am happy with it non the less :slight_smile:

I’m not trying to knock you, I’m just trying to add value for others who might be reading. It’s all about learning.

It would’ve taken the same amount of time and less resources, with a layup that put the carbon on the thickest part to start with.

Start with wood, cedar/balsa for the battery box sides… Put your carbon over that. Leave the inside bare or if it feels soft a couple of narrow strips Uni carbon.

1 Like

Do you know how to calculate the top speed/range for a hub motor?

All the top speed calculators have a gear ratio but the hub motors have no gears…

1:1 ratio, as the motor is spinning at the same rate as the wheel :wink:

1 Like

thanks! Am I correct to assume it has less torque than the external ones right.

I think I basically have my build down now, will post a thread later

yup you are right.

low if you have hills in your area and were using an enertion SPACE cell, would double hub motors be enough? or would external motors be better.

I heard with the enertion and high current means the hub motors won’t get too hot going up hill especially with 2 of them.

Basically which one would get me up hills, have longer range and top speed.

well think of riding a bike up a hill. if you drop in to a lower gear its easier to go up the hill. however if you stay in high gear you can still ride up the hill but you gotta push harder.

hub motors are always at 1:1 gear ratio so they are working harder to go up a hill than the same spec motor geared down to say 2.5:1

gearing down always gives more torque.