The disaster | Amazon Deck | Lots of Aliexpress | 6354 Motors | DickyHo mount | 10S4P VTC6 | DUAL?

Hey guys,

My first real post exciting stuff! I thought this would be a great part to start my build thread as I have kinda ran into quite some problems, but we will solve them, bear with me :smiley:.

TL;DR: I build a board and right now it isn’t finished yet but I got a few pictures you might want to watch?

Alright a little about myself so you get that familiar feeling with the main character like they try to give you in TV series. My real name is Victor and I’m 19 years old, I feel pretty old but that might be because of the amount of solder I have inhaled in my life so far. I am an engineering student specializing in Electronics-ICT and I love those subjects! I have been building robots and soldering for what appears to be as long as I can remember. My uncle gave me my first soldering iron and Velleman soldering kit when I was 9 years old actually :baby:.

Now most of my experience with electronics comes from my main hobby Drone Racing. But that is a story on it’s own and you came here to see what the frick I build.

But not just yet, as now I need to tell you what got me to this particular moment in time where I am writing my first esk8(using the abbriviation like a cool kid :sunglasses:) blog. Well I think I might have to say Casey… Seeing this dude rip his boosted trough New York looked so rad to my ±15 year old self. Untill I saw the price of a board :disappointed_relieved:. Be gone dreams! So a few year went by and I saw loads of boards but they either were to crappy spec wise or I couldn’t even dream of affording them anywhere in the foreseeable future. Untill at one point about like July this year I saw a nice looking DIY board and I thought to myself I am going into my second year of engineering I’ve been soldering for ages, I could do this as well!

And so my research into diy boards and search for parts had begone, starting of as a cheap build with the standard hub ebay hub motors and esc replacement to what now might already start to be called a premium build(or at least the parts). The build really started to form itself after I took the decision to make a build that would be able to handle the commute to and from my campus on a single charge. So that meant at the very minimum a range of 25km as my campus is about 11km from where I live. A decent top speed, to make it faster then going by bike, the ability to handle some cracks in the road, paved bike lanes and climb some steep bridges.

These demands actually made it way easier to pick some parts, it would have to be a belt drive to provide the torque I needed for the bridges and to allow me to put nice big wheels for the lovely Belgian roads :sweat_smile:. I would also need a big battery to get the range I want.

So here are the choices I made:

Deck - Amazon Moose Drop Through - I wanted a smaller deck <36" to make it a little easier to take with me. I do think looks are also really important and I love the looks of this deck! I was a little worried having this deck ship from the states to me about import costs but as promised by amazon there were none.

Motor mounts - DickHO Mounts - @rey8801 Linked me to these on the forum, they looked like the best priced mounts I could find so I ordered a set and they arrived in great condition. @dickyho even did the work of painting them for me. I also got my motor puleys from him.

Trucks - Caliber Aliexpress - Most of my research went into looking for the cheapest quality parts I could find that would still do their job correctly. First one of these parts are my trucks at 28Euro I didn’t break the bank with these. They seem solid but they will need new bushings pretty soon.

Motors - 6354 “FlipSky” - I got these motors from @BoostedBuilder on the forum, he gave me the cheapest deal you would be able to get so that was awesome, they are identical to the FlipSky ones so I know they should work great. Sadly I overlooked the fact that he was shipping them from Switzerland which is a non EU country so I did have to pay some hefty import taxes :frowning: . But they arrived in great condition and the sensor pin is already the correct one! These were one of the first parts to actually come in the mail and they seemed huge to me!

ESC - FlipSky 4.12 Aliexpress - As I was only planning to go single drive in the beginning to save some cost I only ordered one of these ESC’s while they were on sale. The going to dual plan changed with the motor deal btw. A second one has already been bought and is on it’s way right now! :raised_hands: (I also found this ESC huge hence the bannana for scale)

The Battery - 10s4p Sony VTC6 - I knew that whatever upgrades or changes I would do this would be a constant and unless someone invented some new ground breaking battery tech this one wouldn’t be upgrading soon. This is actually the only part where I didn’t save on cost. I even bought a spot welder ( I did want this already for some time to make a Field charger for my drones.) I was told VTC6 were the bees knees so those were what I got. Luckily still at the 5Euro price not the 7,50 lmao.

Also got a cheap 10s BMS.

Wheels - 97mm Aliexpress Flywheel - These are 100% temporary but they were cheap and came with bearings etc. When I get some more budget I will probably switch to the Storm ones or MBT.

Switch - E-Sk8 Mosfet Switch - This switch looked great and was build by a forum member @Martinsp. So I bought it from his site. Sadly this switch has never worked reliably for me. Why that is is to be determined.

Enclosure -DIY Fiberglass - So this is probably 70% of the upcomming story as I wanted to make this Enclosure myself to be as good looking and fitting as possible.

Let’s get building:

So everything I needed for the battery was here pretty fast and I thought that would be a great point for me to start from. So here goes my first attempt at making this battery. Yes your read it correctly I do this once more :wink: .

I started off hotglueing al the 4P’s.

Followed by some neat fish paper(Safety is number one priority :sunglasses:)

Printed a handy nickel strip holder:

Started welding those 4P’s :man_factory_worker::

So these welds are actually not strong enough, I would discover later(not in a bad way but in time to change it :blush:).

Next up I put two nikkel strips over every series connection.

Followed by some 12AWG wire for those big amps, this was hell. I used a giant soldering iron as to not damage the sells but soldering 12AWG sucks! :persevere:

For the big connection I used two 12AWG wires.

Next up was the BMS connections and some heat shrink.

By this time some more parts like the deck etc had come in so tada:

Alright next up was the enclosure, as I had no experience with making molds or using fiberglass I called upon a good friend of mine. He was actually super excited to help out so that was awesome! We got to it, making the mold was ofcourse first order of business.

Starting block of wood(staring my buddy as main character):

To be continued.

15 Likes

+1 banana for scale.

6 Likes

I think you might wanna edit your title a little bit. :wink: Hint: @dickyho

1 Like

Done 10char

2 Likes

This is a proper diy build Nice work!

5 Likes

This will be a very nice build… I curious about the caliber clones. How do they perform? Obviously after changing the bushing to nice one are they worth it?

I am right now still using the standard bushings, they are quite stiff and don’t feel very smooth. But as far as the mounts themselves go, they are solid. Wouldn’t be able to tell the difference with original ones.

1 Like

My bad😅 10char

1 Like

Welkom! Van welke regio ben je? zit je in de E-drivers benelux FB groep? (Welcome, which region are you from and are you part of the group…)

Nice board

If you can, I would recommend putting fish paper or another thought insulator between each parallel group, having them touching will wear out with time and can make a big fire ball, happened with a few of us already

Cheers

Nice build!!! Please share what wheel pulleys on it 12mm or 17mm? And there enough room for dual 6354? I’m planning almost the same build

1 Like

Alright the time has come to do some fiberglass epoxy magic, we got ourselves a diy fan a pack of plastic gloves protection level +9000. :man_mechanic: Before: IMG_20180918_134033

After: IMG_20180918_150211

We got on that DIY vacuum life, some mistakes were made but still happy we used it to add some strength, it did gave us some extra sanding work after because of all the bumps. IMG_20180918_150210

Bumps :sweat_smile: IMG_20180928_192447

Let the sanding begin! IMG_20180928_194516 IMG_20180928_200504

Looking better already: IMG_20180928_203358

It’s filler time! IMG_20180928_204233 IMG_20180928_204529

More sanding: IMG_20180929_202300

For our last magic trick we tried to add an extra layer of epoxy painted on top with black pigment. However for some reason, pigment for expoxy is very expensive.So we tried what poor students try, going the cheap way and make some pigment ourselves and at first it looked really promesing! But appereantly there is a reason why pigment is so expensive :sweat_smile: IMG_20181013_162212 IMG_20181013_163023

Well nothing a bit of paint and some more sanding can’t fix, so while we wait for that to dry it’s time to get a move on with the electronics!

3D printed a pulley for the wheel, added bolts inside for rigidity but forgot to take a picture. IMG-20180930-WA0006

Installing the motor for the first time: IMG_20180928_215308

First time testing the electronics, the motor spins! IMG_20180929_210505

To be continued…

@Gerrycorrado - Van Gent, ik denk dat ik al in die groep zit ja.

@Pedrodemio - Thanks for the tip, actually already did so when rebuilding the battery pack :wink:

@Sners - Right now I am still using a single motor with 15mm belt but for dual you’ll have to use a 12mm one on these caliber trucks. The longer calibers will allow you to use 15mm however.

1 Like

As for painting the enclosure you might be able to spray paint the case first then add a protective epoxy layer on top, I haven’t tried this before but it might work

1 Like

That’s a pretty good idea, right now I’ve just painted it with two spray cans from the dollar store, a primer and a black one.

1 Like

Really cool build, how has it held up? Especially curious about the flipsky vescs :smile:

Great actually! I’ll make a follow up post asap, Haven’t had any trouble with the FlipSky’s! Although I haven’t been doing that much riding either as the winter is pretty brutel here atm! :smiley:

2 Likes