The Black Beauty 4WD Hub Build

Yes they do support FOC. Here is a video of them running with FOC.

11 Likes

Awjeah - I think I’m in for a build like that

I also wonder that with all four thingamaspinners bearing load, maybe we can make some swappable big, like 5inch big pneumatic tires onto them to get the thing up to twelve? rev-rev!

So had a reply from the guy who makes them and he says they just bolt on to any truck using the existing truck nut? Is it just me having trouble understanding how these stay put and not spin off?

Unless he is using some sort of clamp system like a collet, this hub is bound for disaster.

I’m kind of looking for a rocket scientist answer to the problem. Not just winding up the nut and hoping it will hold. Is there any video of these hubs in use? I want them to work but can’t see how they will.

1 Like

yeah there seems to be some level of question-dodging going on here. Nobody has explained how the inner side of the motor stays locked in place on the truck yet

EDIT: maybe there’s threading? but it wouldn’t hold…?

Here’s the reply I got.

1 Like

that’s… odd

Hey guys so I’m just the messenger, but in the video posted of them working you should be able to see a C clip bearing that keeps them in place.

4 Likes

There’s one bearing on the outside where the locking nut connects. There is no bearing on the motor housing where the C is, this ensures when it spins that only the outside of the motor spins.

1 Like

I had a bit more of an explanation of how it works. I don’t quite get it but he seems pretty confident. It’d be good to see them running in hills.

The only 100% secure way of mounting a hub.

It doesn’t mount to any truck like all the hub makers are going for, but it is, in my opinion the only guaranteed way of making sure the hubs stay secure during any environmental conditions we throw at them.

4 Likes

I like the idea of a universal hub motor that can be user installed on a wide variety of trucks. The thing that concerns me about any hub motor besides heat, is that fact that all of the road shock is being absorbed by the motor bearings. Therefore, any hub motor needs to be designed so that the motor bearings can be easily replaced preferably by the end user.

Welding doesn’t exactly seem like a user friendly option when it comes to maintenance.

You can clearly see it’s only hub mount that’s welded. Motor itself is held by screws.

1 Like

What’s the delivery time on these?

Urathane should be arriving this week :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m guessing they will still have to test the new urethane?

Best thing would be a few pics of the hub motor unmounted, so that we can see the inside and understand how they are hold in place

See here. This is the inside where it presses against the truck axle. The area where the motor goes into the axle is fixed and comes to a point to secure it, only the bigger bearing on the inside actually spins and the smaller bearing on the front side. This ensures the motor freely spins as it should.

5 Likes