The Black Beauty 4WD Hub Build

I noticed that too a few minutes in. It’s nice to see these running under their own power. I really want to see this 4wd beast in action though.

Update on the board. A logo has been decided upon and has been laser etched on! At the last second my friend decided to change up the look of the board and makeup. It is now a composite bamboo fibre deck as the carbon deck was too stiff. It measures 42 inches and has a double kick.

3 Likes

Did anybody notice the thane sliding back and forth around 2:15 on the video is that helpful when turning.

1 Like

Wooooaaah. I don’t know about turning but that may be really helpful if you’re trying to street your face. This is beta thane though right so presumably there will be a production with a core material?

Yup just talked to them and they thane will be fitted all the way across can’t wait for them to come in now lol.

Deck is finished! Ready to mount everything soon :slight_smile:

With the 760Wh battery pack the board weighs just under 9kg.

Excitement is an understatement at this point.

9 Likes

The esk8hubs don’t like ackmaniacs foc, bldc worked, but the brakes were jerky. Original firmware foc is nice. I went on a long ride, spun a motor a tiny bit and did some walking home last night. After i fix it, i am going to use my favorite epoxy dp420 and glue these things to the truck.

I was not aware that @Ackmaniac made any changes to how FOC works :confused:

1 Like

Damn…that’s a news…@ackmaniac what are the changes ?

Well if you used watt control then then the duty cycle is taken into account. Could be that these motors are bad to detect the correct duty cylce. And at braking there is no difference. So i really think something was wrong in your settings.

When i tried these with your firmware it did seem to brake normally, when i gave it some forward it made a noise and crapped out. What setting should i change?

Maybe post up your settings. I can test them on this side on our rig. Is there a particular version of @Ackmaniac firmware you were using?

We’ve only tested with stock VESC firmware at this point.

A friend of mine just got these hubs on his (8s lipo) board. He’s lending me his board with the new hubs on Tuesday. I’ll review and compare them against my out runner board and possibly a bamboo GT if I can track one down. He just put the board together today and said “It’s crazy fast, If you stand level and give it full throttle it’ll actually lift the front wheels off the ground!” looking forward to this… weather permitting expect a comparison video by Friday

2 Likes

Fast and acceleration are two different things though :wink: Hubs on a 8S system should not be fast - if they are then the kv should have been lowered in the first place - my personal opinion.

Looking forward to your review though!

keep in mind its the guy’s first time on an e-board so maybe he just cant balance :stuck_out_tongue: lets see when i compare it to mine

Ugh sorry guys but the guy really wants to take his board with him on a work trip because he can’t bear to be without it :confused: since he won’t leave it with me for a couple days he said he can Film some videos. I’ve asked him to do a 0-full speed-0 test and to climb the steepest street he can and check the temperature with an infrared thermometer. Is there anything else you’d like?

Anything new on these?

1 Like

@ekitesurfer You seem to have the magic touch for actually getting information, you gotten any new urethane or heard how it’s going?

Well, one motor spun, screwed the phase wires, so i epoxied 2 of them to a truck. Those worked on foc for a little while, then took a shit when i was going up a hill, worked using bldc for a little while, but last night one motor melted going up a hill. I have lost all faith in these

lol, well I guess I’m not that upset I haven’t received my order after waiting 3 months then. Thanks for the update.