The AVIO Urethane Gear Drive

There are alot of other gear drives out there using delrin with a steel pinion, no doubt they will wear faster than steel on steel. People who have tried this setup reported mileage exceedinf 1000km with no problems.

I’ll be doing a kegel core in the near future.

1 Like

Thanks!

No promises on the surfrodz trucks though (:

2 Likes

Amazing, love the updates! Definitely following this.

3 Likes

I’d like a pair as well.

2 Likes

Thanks! Have added the instructions in the 1st post too, pictures to come soon.

1 Like

Lmk if you wanna sell your used one :laughing:. Don’t think I can shell out $300 at this point :joy:

3 Likes

:drooling_face::heart_eyes: If surfrodz gear drive becomes a thing… I foresee many nights of instant ramen in my future.

6 Likes

In it for surfrodz too!

2 Likes

The crowd has spoken. But RKP or TKP? Both?

1 Like

I think given the gear ratio RKP is a better bet… with 12s on 107’s and 190kv this drive will reach 50+ kph easily

3 Likes

Update (29/10/2018):

• Talked to my suppliers, based on the gauged interest, i’ve decided to order 20 sets, 10 Left and 10 Right sets. (A dual rear drive would require 1 of each set.)
  • To keep the cost down, and to have a variety of options, I’ve decided to have it be in a clear finish (shot-peened & clear anodized.) I would then spray paint it to a variety of colours (right now: Candy Red, Candy Blue and Flat Black).
  • I’ve made a google order form for those who are interested to get a set or multiple sets. Due to the limited amount of sets i’ll be ordering, I’ll be selling the kits on a first come first served basis. The final price will also be reflected when I issue the payment request through the PayPal emails listed in the google form. I will also update the final price here on the forums.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfgBuTulJXbCGO6cEv7lBuWa77PZ0V3FDgCUdaqh94DBtw1KA/viewform

For those who are interested, do fill it out. No commitments here, just gauging interest, but will send out an payment request when it’s ready for shipping.

7 Likes

Rkp please

Helping @nuttyjeff with boring an 8mm spur to 10mm. Not sure what he’s going to do with it but it’s for science! 20181029_190957 20181029_191601 20181029_195016 20181029_195100 20181029_200114

6 Likes

Have 2 spare 6355 with 10mm shafts, i only have pinions with an 8mm bore haha. Thanks for helping :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@nuttyjeff did you ever get your hands on a set of SR TKPs? I’d love to be able to use dual 6374 on them with 80mm axles.

Nope, dont think anyone is mailing them over ):

I sincerely hope you mean 8mm axles :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

General Update:

I’ve decided to revise the drive slightly - Version 2.

• V1 is working perfectly for me still, over 300km and running smoothly.

• Because of the varying differences in the profiles of cast caliber trucks, I’ve decided to engage @Linny to help with turning these trucks down to reduce any slop in the drive system. We will be working together to bring these drives to you guys (: The V1 works perfect with my calibers simply because I modeled the profile of the bearing shaft after the profile of my calibers to ensure a tight fit. The final product will hence include the lathed caliber ll hanger (with the basplate & bushings) along with the drive system. (Think of it as precision-cast trucks :D). This opens a new can of worms due to the 3 different caliber profile trucks in the market - (Standard 184mm calibers (For single 63xx), E-calibers (For dual 6355s) and TB 218mms (For dual 6374s)… I’ll guess people can indicate the setup they’re looking for and purchase the appropriate trucks through a down-payment of sorts… I’ll figure this out.

• Other than changing the bearing shaft design slightly, I’ve also decided to go with a large bearing to seal the drive from the wheel side as opposed to a radial seal or a v-ring. I’m intending to minimize friction and power losses, and hence the decision to omit friction rubber seals. Also, from a cost perspective, this is cheaper than a radial seal and should do the job. Also, the dimensions of the bearing seal will be the same as a radial seal or a V-ring, which leaves the option to purchase a radial seal/v-ring and swap it out if anyone isn’t comfortable with it. I’ll be trying this method to see how well it works.

• I’ve also decided to go with a key-way on the pinion - managed to find some COTS pinions with a key-way and hub, where @Linny would be helping to lathe the hub away. The pinion should then be secured with loctite 638/648/680. Easy.

• Even though I have contacts to CNC POM, I’m thinking I’ll be sticking to Nylon PA12, unless I get more orders. I’m realizing that I am actually incurring a lot of financial risk in getting this drive out to you guys. (I’m practically selling it near cost, and if I’m left with any unsold stock, i’ll make a loss.)

• I will be creating a group chat soon for those who have indicated interest in the drive and will take their comments and suggestions into consideration as I move forward designing the drive. V2 has already been designed (very simple yet impactful changes made.)

That’s all folks!

7 Likes

Great idea, I will see if I can do something similar on mine since I’m afraid the losses for the axial seal will be too big

How do you plan to guarantee that the gear and the 3D printed case are concentric?

Also be cautious about turning the hangers, I did on my Paris 195 to fit a 17mm pulley bearing and it bent after a few 100’s kilometers

You turned them down to 17mm? or to fit a bearing with an OD of 17mm?

Down to 17 to fit a bearing with 17 I.D., the unturned diameter was between 18.5 and 19 mm due to it being cast, so not a lot of material removed but it made all the difference, I have ridden one not turned for a lot longer and no problems

1 Like