The AVIO Urethane Gear Drive

Nice, with grease wearing the V-ring is not that much of a problem anyway

1 Like

Update 21/11/18

• Bearings have arrived! They fit nicely! Have ordered the remaining bearings needrd for the preorder sale.
  • CNC production has started and the motor mounts will be with me in 2-3 weeks time (supplierā€™s ETA).
  • Every other part has been ordered, except for the hp fusioned parts. Still doing last minute revisions (aesthetics) before sending them for printing.
  • To make assembly of the drive as painless as possibly, I will write a detailed set of instructions (with pictures) and a link will be given to those who were in the pre-order. I will also be 3d printing some ā€˜toolsā€™ to help with the assembly of the drive (so that everything is aligned as can be, to remove as much of the user errors involved in the installation process).
  • After this preorder sale, Iā€™m probably not going to sell any more of these drives - realised that Iā€™m close to making a loss, or if not am already making a loss by selling these. Not worth the effort >< imho, but getting gear drives out to the commuity gives me a sense of fulfilment (: I apologize to those who have didnā€™t manage to secure any Aortal drives during the preorder stage.
  • I will, however be working on it on a more personal level and will continue publishing my updates here. I might make the CAD files open sourced if thereā€™s enough interest.
10 Likes

Open source would be great

1 Like

@nuttyjeff has ordered the TB 218 trucks from the BF sale, meanwhile iā€™m cutting the pinionā€™s hub away for clearance of the gearbox. Thereā€™s no set screw in the gear teeth but retaining compound or green loctite will hold up very well. Cutting majority with angle grinder firstā€¦ 20181122_190500 20181122_192410
20181122_192653 20181122_193000 20181122_193932

16 more to goā€¦

7 Likes

Update: 25/11/18

Good news!

IMG_20181125_211221

IMG_20181125_213506

Assembling my dual aortal drives and @Linnyā€™s 2 x 1WD drives.

Everything fits as expected and hence there will be no delays in getting the pre-orders out the door.

Some things to note, the colour of the cover our drives are black, same as those in the preorders. All other components will be heather grey, unlike those in the picture above. Why? Because weā€™re special like that :smiley:

Alot of other parts are coming soon. Am currently working on ways I can cut costs on the gear drive, because I forgot to factor in import taxes, which would mean I will now be making a loss by selling these drives at the current price with free intl shipping (trucks and metal parts are not light, shipping prices are a bitch.) Iā€™ll see what I can work out.

10 Likes

I think the GB participants would be willing to kick in a little more to cover a bit extra? Iā€™d hate it if this favor to us goes beyond free slave labor and into subsidizing us at a loss.

3 Likes

Haha, iā€™ll see what I can work out. If I canā€™t solve it by the end of tomorrow, iā€™ll add everyone in the GB into a chat to see what we can work out.

3 Likes

Okay, this is epic.

1 Like

Danm those are sexy as hell. Whatā€™s the length of those?

Also hows the rolling resistance? Is it like Jed boards where thereā€™s very little?

1 Like

Yeah, theyā€™re really sexy arenā€™t they haha. Canā€™t wait to paint your motor mounts in white to see what they look like.

The length, tip to tip would be approximately 126mm, with a width of 76.5mm.

The rolling resistance is very similar to pushing a non-electric longboard. Ran out of batt once and had to kick-push my board home, was amazingly easy to do. This was on the V1 with a V-ring seal - Iā€™m expecting it to be slightly better with a bearing seal.

1 Like

Excited as hell !

Ooo I thought you thought I meant the hangers ,

1 Like

I realised Iā€™ve not updated this thread in a VERY long time. - This is mainly due to the discussion moving on to a private group chat for the people who pre-ordered. Donā€™t worry, youā€™ve not missed much, the chat is just filled with updates on the status everyoneā€™s order.

in other news, Iā€™ve just finished installing my drive and @Linnyā€™s drive. Linfordā€™s drive works perfectly. Really happy with the results. Iā€™ve yet to test mine (itā€™s raining right now ):), but iā€™d expect the same results.

IMG_20181215_182418

Also, Iā€™m getting ready to ship everyone elseā€™s Avio drive (Yes, i renamed it, shhh :P), just waiting on the past few parts to arrive on Monday!

IMG_20181215_192959

Oh also, if anyone wants, i have one more drive for sale, for a 1WD. HMU if you want it.

5 Likes

This morning we set up my single drive. Itā€™s a single 6374 running on 107s. The free roll was so good that I nearly got knocked down by a car because I wasnā€™t used to the new drive system haha.

Some real world footage coming later!

20181215_183832 20181215_183816 20181215_183717 20181215_124922 20181215_124908

11 Likes

Anyone has any recommendations on a good TW that will fit the bill?

And any lubricant recommendations?

1 Like

A lot of bicycle torque wrenches are capable of this.

I use a marine grease called ā€œTOYO EAJ8000ā€, Iā€™m certain most marine greases would work.

Took my drive up for a test run today, up the one of steepest hill in Singapore @ a 31% grade. Iā€™m 75kg and it went up pretty easily. Also i love them photos, so iā€™m sharing :smiley:

10 Likes

Nice , what are the battery specs?

This build is currently using an 8S 8000mah LiPo battery.

Finally, some more test footage! Overall iā€™m impressed with the sound and free roll. Okay iā€™m actually really scared of the free roll. Nearer to the end i almost got knocked down.

6 Likes

Nice. Also great to hear that accent again. All my Singaporean relatives sound just like you. Iā€™m half Singaporean and half Dutch.

1 Like

Ooooo youā€™re one of us! Awesome!

1 Like