TelTail Lights (TTL) - Interactive eSkate Lighting System

The controller is designed to control analog RGB led strips by default. The A2D Module shown in the original post was created to give the controller the ability to control all types of addressable LED strips including neopixels. Unfortunately, the code for utilizing the A2D Module hasn’t been implemented yet but is planned to be in the future.

1 Like

I am still looking for beta testers.

Dont worry about skill level or resources. If you are interested in hooking the system up to your board and giving me feedback to improve it, just send me a message. If you tell me about your build, I will work with you to find the best way to make my system work :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I love this system! Few problems occur with trying to map onto the remote but using the app on the phone wirks great… haven’t been able to get anything besides color cycle and color compass…the head lights arent as bright as i had hoped. They are more for being seen than to see obstacles in your path.

1 Like

I really like the idea of this. Was really considering a purchase, But it’s a little steep in price for the quality of lights. I’d really only be interested in the pcb part and add my own lights.

Edit: I also don’t care for the horn. But overall great job in putting it together. Nothing but respect.

3 Likes

PMed! This looks like an awesome project. Makes me excited to see what this community has inspired people to do.

1 Like

@Bobby I’m really glad you are liking it! With the FW updates I’m making now, you will be able to use the other LED modes that rely on info from the ESC. Ya the lights that I made are bright but not super bright. Having them housed in a 3D printed case without a heatsink makes it difficult to up the brightness since brigter ligths would take more power, causing more heat which would start melting the plastic when when left on for a long time :stuck_out_tongue:

@RedBaron Thank you for your support :slight_smile: I definitely get the need for brighter, higher quality headlights than the ones I made myself. Thats why I designed the system with the use of other lights in mind :wink: You have a few options to do that. If they are 12v (depending on the current draw) you could connect them directly to the control module. If they have their own battery and power switch you can use the LPCM to control them. If they are high current lights like flood lights and powered from the battey, you can use the HPCM to control them.

@kuphjr Thanks, I agree, it really is cool to see all the different projects that have sprouted up on this forum!

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. Totally didn’t realize you had so many options. I would be interested in a unit without the extras. And a lpcm for a self powered headlight. I have a 3d printer so I can make my own housing and share the stl as well. I’ll check out your site.

Im putting together a new build so im sourcing parts at this time.

1 Like

No worries. There is alot to digest relating to this project and all of the features/options might not be easy to understand on first read (or might not be clearly explained :stuck_out_tongue:). There is a ton more information on the documetation page of my site so please do check that out. And please send me a PM if you are interested in getting parts for your new build and helping with beta testing. Having someone test the system with their own lights would be very helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Bobby, @venom121212, @butt_stallion, @colinphotovideo, If you guys take any photos or videos during testing, please post them here so that others can see our progress and get an idea of how the system looks / functions.

3 Likes

I ran into an issue with my second unity so I can only bench test without disassembling all my waterproofing on my main board :cry:

I have it laid out in my second build with a blank space just waiting for the unity to arrive and get ride footage!

1 Like

A couple of pics and a video of me going around the block with compass mode

3 Likes

I’ll beta test one!

2 Likes

Im actually planning on getting a second set… i love it even with everything not working! I can only imagine how great it will be when the firmware gets updated and the bugs get ironed out.

3 Likes

I finished implementing some pretty major updates last night to the control module FW and the Android App. The most important change is that the control module is now able to communicate with the ESC over UART, so all features of the lighting system can be utilized without changing the FW of the ESC.

The second important change is the addition of a settings menu for the remote. That menu allows you to configure which type of remote you are using and what type of input you would like to use to control the lights. This allows more remotes to control the lights than just ones with a button mapped to channel 2 of the reciever.

@venom121212, The bright side is that now, you can test all features using UART comms right when you get your second Unity :stuck_out_tongue:

@Bobby, Thanks for the pics and video. I’m super happy that you like the system so much without getting to test all the features yet :blush:

@mynamesmatt, Please PM me so we can get the ball rolling.

4 Likes

I see what you did there :smirk:

Awesome! Thank you for all the hard work

1 Like

Is beta testing still going on?

Ya beta testing is still in progress and is open to for people to join if they want.

I’ve had a lot of people reach out to me interested in becoming beta testers but only 4 people have followed through with it.

Last week I finished implementing the UART comms on the control module so that no one has to touch the FW of their ESC to get the lights working. At this point, no beta testers have updated the FW of their control modules (life has a way of getting in the way of these things :stuck_out_tongue:) so I am waiting to here back on any bugs with that. There is one known bug that I am currently working on in the meantime as well as some updates I want to make to the tail light control so the down time is not being wasted :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

i would be down to test but don’t have an Android to download the app. And have a Mac as my main computer

Ya sorry man, I don’t have any iOS devices for developing an app or a Mac to test out the FW updater tool. I hope I can support Apple devices eventually.

1 Like

You can buy a cheap android device for 20-40 bux on offer up. Thats what i ended up doing…