Stary Board Catches Fire

Damn that should be perfect. Do you have a build thread for this one? I’d like to see how this turns out as it could be a good solution for a my next commuter build.

I don’t, but I will see about creating one.

It’s because Stary was extremely irresponsible and sold their board with a lipo, li-ion 18650 or LFP cells are so much safer

Technically the prismatic pouches actually have a higher energy density than the cylindrical cells that are commonly found(18650 li ion). The pouches are much more prone to damahe though.

Lipo can be safe to use if you carefully monitor, balance, and charge your packs. They are not an install and forget battery like 18650 li ion or LFP

Not according to every article I’ve read on the subject

“(Lithium Polymer) Lower energy density and decreased cycle count compared to Li-ion — potential for improvements exist.”

source: battery university

EDIT: further reading shows that the opposite of what I’ve said was true. Liion is more energy dense pound for pound, but, inch for inch, lipo wins out

"Cylindrical cell has high specific energy, good mechanical stability and lends itself to automated manufacturing. Cell design allows added safety features that are not possible with other formats (see BU-304b: Making Lithium-ion Safe); it cycles well, offers a long calendar life and is low cost, but it has less than ideal packaging density. The cylindrical cell is commonly used for portable applications.

Prismatic cell are encased in aluminum or steel for stability. Jelly-rolled or stacked, the cell is space-efficient but can be costlier to manufacture than the cylindrical cell. Modern prismatic cells are used in the electric powertrain and energy storage systems.

Pouch cell uses laminated architecture in a bag. It is light and cost-effective but exposure to humidity and high temperature can shorten life. Swelling of 8–10 percent over 500 cycles must be considered with some cell designs. The pouch cell is growing in popularity and serves similar applications to the prismatic cell."

1 Like

I’m only interested in LiPo because of the Landwheel drive. The problem with that is THEY are the ones supplying the charger, the batteries are in their enclosure so what would I look out for? I plan to slap this on a deck for the wife to learn with. So should I charge their battery in a LiPo bag? and how would I “monitor or balance” it?

1 Like

As long as there is a balance port the charger they’re providing is probably fine. I would highly recommend keeping the pack near you and visible at all times when charging. Lipo bags and other safety precautions are also a good addition.

Personally I’ve never used an alibaba lipo pack, I always have purchased from hobbyking. So definitely keep an eye on the board so that if anything starts to happen you can move the board or yourself to safety.

In general lipo packs don’t just explode but be aware of heat, over discharging, and humidity and you’ll probably be good

Thanks for not giving me a hard time for my interest with Landwheel!

Their batteries comes out with a button and charges on a charing base, so it will be easy to do that in a pouch. All the reading of LiPo danger makes me wonder why they even exist! I’m glad this forum is here.

1 Like

Lipos are no good for application on eBoards, the vibration alone can cause damage to the battery.

you guys need to stop arguing over which type of battery is better, they are both dangerous if treated badly.

Lipo batteries can be fine in eboards i think they see way more abuse in rc cars (more vibration/ more amp draw) but the batteries from hobbyking and other low cost retailers are a hit and miss. Quality lipos are expensive. Lipos that i bought from hobbyking puffed within the week while my other lipos have lasted aproacing two years in my rc cars that have seen 60+ mph on bad terrain. Research rc forums for lipos that are good.

1 Like

Just make sure that in addition to the positive and negative pins that there is a set of pins or another connector that can balance the cells. If the additional pins are missing the pack has a a built in BMS or it is charging an unbalanced pack which would be very bad.