Stabilised skateboard truck | Anti Speed Wobble Tech.... Advice from a moron

I saw what looked like a single motor driving two wheels sold by carvon but are you saying it would have to have a differential if you plan to turn both ways? Makes sense but sounds overly complex.

I don’t think a live or locked axle would be a good option on a skateboard being the weight is transferred to the inside wheels when cornering. Unlike a gocart which transfers to the outside. I have found Testing a thought gives more definitive answers than the thought itself.

1 Like

rip, torque transfer was the term I should’ve used but yeah, by driving 2 wheels you’re basically doubling the belt width which will give a higher torque transfer, seeing Jason put the boosted dual + against the raptor mono it showed that higher torque transfer = higher traction = higher acceleration, even though it had a higher torque transfer, the boosted board didn’t have as much actual torque as the raptor mono cos boosted lost the hill climb. wait… whats a one way bearing?

@memesupreme, the motor spins a solid, locked or live axle. Two cogs, pinions or pulleys attached to the live axle spin fixed and in sync with each other an unable to move independently from each other. This locked axle then is transferred to the wheels through the connection of the belts. Imagine a 300lb man trying to make a 9’ slow circle on this setup. Then imagine what the torque number would be on the 8mm shaft holding the two cogs in sync. It would make for a built in brake when carving. Very hard on belts and cogs.

2 Likes

Great explanation. Live locked or solid. @memesupreme I guess I meant racheet. Which would be a combo of above in a way maybe

2 Likes

Given the complexity associated with 4WD (dual motors) setup, perhaps we should attempt to over come the challenges associated with the Dual-Drive (single motor) initially.

Here is initial short video footage. I’ve also updated FAQ contents on the website. Your comments and feedback are welcomed and appreciated.

Unfortunately this video doesn’t show much. I think the best test would be if you ran a board on a treadmill with a heavy weight on the rear truck and tie the board to the treadmill so it stays on. Then you can press down on one side to create speed wobbles. After, you can do the exact same test with the stabilizers on to show if speed wobbles are less intense. You may want to show the turning potential of the board before each test as well so no one thinks you tightened the bushings for the stabilized one.

4 Likes

Thanks Jinra I will take your advice on board. I’ll gradually be adding more video clips on Youtube under “skateboard stabilizer” for you and other to analyze.

15 Likes

So it allows the separate drive trains to work independently but still from the same motor? Rather than both spinner exactly the same all the time… ah I get it, if you try turning in a circle the inside wheel will travel less distance than the outside wheel, so if both wheels are forced to go the same speed you’ll either slide, not be able to turn or possibly break the actual shaft? I think I’ll stick with dual motors though😅 it’s a cool concept though

4 Likes

@MoeStooge would be better to ask but sounds right to me. Before I thought one motor could drive two motors without turning problems as I’ve seen pictures of such a board a couple times and thought carvon sold it. Too complicated for me.

1 Like

looks like your springs are blocking the maximum lean to the sides. Because we use different heights from the ground with different risers, you need some sort of adjustment for that.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly. It’s been a great idea for a while, ever since I saw jerry at carvon do it, but it doesn’t seem practical.

1 Like

@TarzanHBK can be adjusted by loosening or tightening the screws/bolts.

For the Dual-Drive (single motor) initiative there are two possible solution options:1) with a Differential Gear 2) if some skidding is not an issue than I suppose we could tighten the rear truck, but loosen front truck. Perhaps we could ride the Dual-Drive (single motor) skateboard like a 3-wheel motorbike or down hill longboard? It might work because when riding a skateboard rarely do we corner sharp enough and most skateboard truck hangers are not very wide, so the wheels are fairly close together anyway. Just a tought…

carvon’s employed a one way bearing making it a viable solution. Won’t work at all without it,

1 Like

With no brakes.

I’m trying to imagine it and now …so you could turn either way no problem but no brakes on one wheel?
what happens again while turning?

right. You lose brakes on one side. Without a differential. It’s the only way.