"Spudnik" | 29" Jet Spud / Single Motor / VESC / 8s LifePo4 Build

Spudnik is my new favorite electric potato. This thing is going to be quick too!

@siggs3000 I hope that VESC fits because that looks great! Nice workaround dealing with all the concave!

The Spudnik is officially back on track with the arrival of my shiny new @chaka VESC yesterday.

It’s super nice with ultra heavy 10 gauge wire and big XT90 connectors. I soldered the supplied female half of the xt90 to my battery connector and spliced a new battery gauge in there while I was at it. I uploaded @onloop’s xml settings for the Enertion R-Spec motor onto it via the newest version of the Mac BLDC and hit the trigger on my kama nunchuck and everything was looking good!

I crammed everything into the enclose (tight fit but good to go!) and drove it a couple of feet in my living room. Then it hesitated and then stopped responding to the kama input. I opened it all up and saw that the vesc was still lit up and and I emailed @chaka to ask about troubleshooting. He responded even though it was about midnight in our time zone! And I was able to use motor detection to see that both the vesc and motor were still working properly. It was a dud kama!

Screw that thing, I decided and ordered a pre-built badwolf version of the gt2b from Chaka’s site and he shipped it out today. Life is too short to depend on bluetooth! I should finally ride this baby this weekend if all goes well!

6 Likes

Mmm mmm mmmm. That’s the good stuff right there, son.

1 Like

Bluetooth connection is unreliable :frowning:

Looks great! I got my 29" Jet Spud too! I just need to finish it :smile:

2 Likes

Looks good with two motors!

Build thread please! Looks cool!

Well it’s taken a village and has been a journey but I took the madden voyage today on the Spudnik! I had a few issues in getting my BLDC settings right so @chaka took the time to hop on the phone to walk me through it today. Amazingly this was also after helping me in countless email questions and even a reflashing of my firmware and installation of custom 11" motor wires. I can’t say enough about that kind of customer service.

After dialing it in and screwing it shut, I put my helmet on and hit the road for the first time to scuff up those shiny wheels. I squeezed the trigger and almost went flying off the back of this little board but held on and tapped the brake, promptly almost sending me over the handlebars. Holy Shinto, this thing is fast and responsive! I’m going to dial back the amps before my next ride until I get the handle on it.

Thanks to everyone who has helped along the way. It was worth the trip!

Here’s a pic of the enclosure before I closed it up. Tight fit! The last things I need to work out are:

1. A power switch of some sort
  2. Flush mount that voltage gauge

2 Likes

Yes! The original E-Spud! I got a lot of love for this thread because once you posted pics of that deck, I decided not to get an Evolve and go DIY. The Spud is super challenging as a first build but totally worth it. Congrats getting it up and running! PS - if you ever decide to upgrade to a 10s Space Cell, the enclosure I made for this thing fits like a glove, especially over those large wheel wells.

1 Like