Split truck angles, wtf are they? and why should I care? and other stuff about trucks

Still not seeing it since they are on the same side. RKP kingpin axis is perpindicular to the pivot axis, TKP is not but the respective placement is the same, just a different relationship : https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/my-thoughts-on-rkp-vs-tkp/51446/20?u=alphamail

1 Like

Yeah, but I was just thinking this is what he meant.

1 Like

Yeah i worded that wrong. 5am and ive got the flu. It just seems you would have to measure the angles differently.

3 Likes

Unfortunately SZ does not give any specā€™s on the angles the base plate can adjust to. The basic idea behind a split setup is to allow the front to turn more than the rear which can improve stability. As the king pin angle approaches horizontal, the steering increases and conversely, as the kingpin approaches vertical the steering is reduced. Along with that as the king pin angle approaches horizontal, the leverage over the bushings decrease and conversely, as the kingpin approaches vertical the leverage over the bushings increases. This is why you cannot use the same bushings front and back unless the split is slight or the bushings have a high amount of adjustability like our KranK compound but it can only go so far.

1 Like

I have the front and rear bushings set up quite differently. Rear 98 top 90 bottom Front 94 top 90 bottom So would i only really need one adjustable baseplate then? Im not really having stability issues atm but when i upgrade my battery my speed is gonna change a bit and Iā€™d like the board to be ready.

You are running a ā€œsynthetic splitā€ (symmetrical trucks angles with asymmetrical bushing setup)? I am also wondering you are are running the softer bushing boardside and the harder roadside. Not that is is wrong, just the effect is minimized buy having the harder bushing in the non load bearing position

1 Like

@Alphamail Hard board side. Soft road side. I have wedge risers atm but want to do real angles via the baseplates. dcef3e2324f1a851a3b6db5fe3ecf859

Kinda like the third one down. I was having wheel bite issues so i thought having the rear truck de wedged would help.

In most setups using SZ TKPā€™s I have not found a need to wedge the front, just dewedge the rear because the frucks turn a lot already

3 Likes

I kinda got confused, need a check. Can you please confirm if the usual correct layout for max effectiveness is :

• hard bushing road side and soft bushing board side,

Or

• hard bushing board side and soft bushing road side?

Also, when you mix shapes like chubby / barrel or Magnum / Cannon, which shape should go where?

• chubby / magnum board side and barrel / Cannon roadside

Or

• chubby / magnum road side and barrel / cannon board side?

Given bushing seats are asymmetric cut in hangers, usually the deepest side is roadside too right?

1 Like

@Vanarian, good questions. (Roadside = Top and Boarside = Bottom)

There are no hard set rules but the place to start is Hard or Larger bushing boardside and Softer or Smaller bushing roadside since the setup is more controlled by the boardside or weight bearing bushing. This covers you first two questions. As for your third question, truck hangers vary, so you need to deal with each brand individually.

Half the fun if working with a setup is trying different things so if the traditional guidelines listed above arenā€™t giving what you want you need to experiment. A prime example is a Canon / Magnum combination, with one pair each you can try the following combinations where they are listed Roadside / Boardside:

1): Canon / Magnum front, Canon / Magnum rear (symmetrical setup) 2): Magnum / Canon front, Magnum / Canon rear (symmetrical setup)

3): Canon / Canon front, Magnum / Magnum rear (synthetic split setup) 4): Magnum /Canon front, Canon / Magnum rear (synthetic split setup)

7 Likes

Thank you for the explanation. This info should be a sticky!

I gotta try this, my current bushings are mounted the wrong way (based on start guidelines).

3 Likes

I have chubby board side and barrel road side both 90a kranks but I recently got some different duros some hard then 90a barrels in krank wbs aps and some softer barrels and got some sleeved washers. what should I expect as I mix those and should the chubbies always stay board side

Go nuts dude, experiment and see what happens, try all sorts of combos and see how they feelā€¦

1 Like

Here is something that doesnā€™t happen so often, precision slalom trucks are available from Sweden, these will be gone quickā€¦

2 Likes

At $550 I donā€™t think so. Why not go with a more established truck like Ronin? They donā€™t seem to offer any new technology. Just a normal precision RKP truck with removable axles.

1 Like

Screenshot_20190122-191720 Screenshot_20190122-191550 Screenshot_20190122-192018

1 Like

The newer and smaller 30 inch deck are for these DH /slolom platforms are coming popular this year I hear

1 Like