Split truck angles, wtf are they? and why should I care? and other stuff about trucks

I got wobble at around 15mph my hanger width is 184 mm wheelbase is 30 inches

Stability is in large part due to the rider, and technique. A 35 degree plate in the rear will help quite a bit though. You will be able to be more stable at faster speeds with a 35 rear. As for super stable? That would still depend on how you in particular handle that speedā€¦ It will be much more forgiving riding 35/45 or 35/50 than riding 45/45 or 50/50.

Just make sure you can adjust your mounts the amount that you are reducing degreesā€¦ I have 35degree bases with precision pivotsā€¦ But Iā€™d have to lift them off the deck with many inch risers and wedge (defeating the purpose) to get my TB mounts to fit under my deck.

Wheelbase is adequate, and sounds like a bushing tune issue too.

With a 35 rear you would want a 50 or more front, but to be honest Iā€™m gonna recommend a 42/50 for ya because I think two wheel paths and better tuned bushings would get you there without going extreme. Try randal 42 rear that you could dewedge further if needed and a 50 front at 50ā€¦no moreā€¦and how much do you weight?

You shouldnā€™t be getting wobbles at 15 deg on any even half reasonable setup. No truck, and no setup is going to make up for form and practice.

Not to say donā€™t make changes to your setup, but donā€™t stop at just making changes to your setup.

Thereā€™s good discussion in this thread:

about what the rider can do to maintain control.

3 Likes

15mph is pretty close to the speed on my non electric long boardā€¦ sounds like something is rither really wrong like a backwards truck or really bad hardwareā€¦ to be fair, im no expert

1 Like

@Deckoz @squishy654 @Cobber Thanks

So even if I was to whack in some super hard bushings you still think it wouldnā€™t work? I will try it out first and see what happens, I am pretty good at controlling speed wobbles. If that doesnā€™t work I guess Iā€™ll just un-wedge it.

What would you say is the max base plate angle as Iā€™ve seen 50 degree calibers 2s

Edit: I actually made a bit of a mistake as it was a very rough guess before the wedge is around 9 degrees probably a little less, that would give me about 53 degrees in total any better? Just a hair off 50 degree calibers

1 Like

I have been skating be building my boards for about 5 years I was on silverfish forum before here and never had a crash like this one before. Iā€™m not 100% sure it was only at 15 mph but I know that the ebsk8 calculator says my setups top speed is 23 mph.

As for bushings like @squishy654 had stated I changed out the stock blood orange bushings for riptide Kranks 90a barrels road side and 90a krank chubbies board side

If you do as DeckyBro suggests and go FWD, 53 in the front is workable (your HK hangers have no rake?), it is personal preference to a point. Iā€™d drop the rear right down to say 20 degrees to balance it out so it really steers from the front and the rear is planted. With the right experience, bushings you should be able to ride that safely up to 55kmh no drama. It is not ideal and would not be my starting point if I could suggest anything. But if you learned to get along with it it could be really fun. As a crazy thing to try to make the rear more stable, if you have offset wheels flip the rear wheels so you shorten the track width of the rear, this will make them track inside the front wheels and add a extra feeling of stability to the rear. Just try it, if you like it, keep it, if not change it back.

Right now I am liking 45/25degrees with 5mm/2.5mm rake, for general shenanigans & tomfoolery. Iā€™d probably go to 45/20 if I was attempting to break the sound barrier or make it back to 1988.

55-60 Front/Rear 17-12 degrees works as a pump slalom set upā€¦

3 Likes

Ok, thanks Iā€™ll give the wheel flipping a try, and I would go front wheel drive but my motors are rear facingā€¦ that would look a bit goofy.

I have riden these trucks without wedging (so 44 degrees front and back) upto 50kmh before without any wobbles in sight, I just wasnā€™t sure about with the new 53 rear, if itā€™s a no go Iā€™ll just take out the wedge and maybe put it on the front truck.

Thanks heaps man I really appreciate the helpfulness of some members in here

1 Like

if you imagine 45 degrees is the tipping point from being more stable, more twitchy, also going past 45 degrees puts increasing latteral load on the hanger/kingpin/bushing interface. The same truck design at 50 degrees will likely have more slop than at 40 degrees if it is prone cause the force comes from more the side of the bushing than in line with the king pinā€¦

Sidebar: MoeStooges 75mph world record board build is FWD :thinking: might not be cool now, might be real cool in a month or so?

2 Likes

Good way to look at it, Iā€™ll keep that in mind.

Tbh I donā€™t think front wheel drive is the future as probably 80% of the esk8 market is based on aesthetics not performance.

1 Like

Yeah but not crashing is really cool :penguin: , I think there is a good chance it might catch on :wink:

3 Likes

Hmmm until one crash and your motors go kaput. Lol

2 Likes

Rear wheel drive is really great for extended standup slides too, as you can keep the wheels spinningšŸ˜Ž, so much fun!

I honestly havenā€™t tried this on a front setup though to see if it has the same benefit hereā€¦ I do imagine my wobbles the other day were due at least in part to my motors pushing from the rearā€¦ I was gunning the accelerator when it happenedā€¦ So for stability, Iā€™d love to try front at some point. How many people realistically run fronts for stability?

1 Like

I tried FWD by mistake for 2 rides. Had the phase wires incorrectly wired. Spud 29 with calibers, and a single 5065. I had the truck with the motorā€™s kingping pretty tight. I got some pretty weird and consistent oscillations on FWD! Mostly in the back, it just started waggling, at a fairly low speed. I loosened the new front truck and tightened the hell out of the new back truck, and oscillations got better but still could not stomp them out with posture/weightshift.

Next day, with phase wires corrected, RWD, and trucks adjusted, no wobs of any sort, up to about 27mph no problems whatsoever.

Not really sure what was going on. I canā€™t really call it speed wobs, as it wasnā€™t violent or fast enough to throw me off. It oscillated while under power, coasting, and braking. Anyway, no more FWD for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did wonder, I saw youā€™d been a member for a while so it didnā€™t look like you were a newbie.

Maybe it has something to do with the RWD instability Deckoz mentioned.

1 Like

Hummie swears by FWD & Chaka by his duel diagonalā€¦ I think we all can agree that unless you have Ronin or Ronin like trucks the torque steer of a single is not good and the brakes suck :eggplant:

Moes 75 mph attempt build is FWDā€¦ I have one in the works atm too :wink:

The first time I saw an eskate, it was at a tradeshow with Boosted board in 2015.

And the VERY first think I asked was why they were doing RWD instead of FWD.

Iā€™ve always planned, if I ever got the opportunity to build an eskate, to have the motors in front. It just makes so much more sense to me.

You think FWD is better then RWD. I just thought of it as a car the more power the better it is to push you along instead of pull you. I could see where fwd could be more stable as you have your planted foot that you keep most of your weight on right above the motors.

1 Like

You got it, also it allows the rest of the board to act as it does when you fall DH. When the rear pushes this loads all your driven force in to the deck like a leaf spring.

But yeah a skateboard is not a car.

1 Like