Spiral Bevel Gears Gearbox

Just want to throw this in here: I use Taulman Alloy 910 for my big mod. 2 gears on the mountainboard and it works great with a steel wheel gear. I don’t know which filament yours is made of right now, but this would be an idea to keep prototyping. But it’s hard to print ofc.

4 Likes

Didn’t you have a problem like this on the brakes? I am using SLA 3D printing I am making nylon and steel for @itsmikeholland testing.

The braking problem is different. It never was the gears that broke or stripped, it was the motor mount flexing/breaking under the torsion that occured when braking. Nylon handles that better than PETG but i want to try Polycarbonate at some point.

Why not simply use/adapt parts for angle grinder? Can find it on ebay for reasonably fair price.

3 Likes

But the propeller is solely putting coaxial force on the bearing while with a bevel gear only part of the load is coaxial. That should easily outweigh the difference in moved weight. But I fear that we both only assume and without actual numbers this discussion is meaningless. If you have some force number we can compare let me know.

Awesome

Thanks man, I’m restoring it going to try and keep it all original just new electronics and battery

this is something i also want to do one day. i mean this type of drive must be quite efficient right? there is no possible problem with CAN or Split PPM, you just need one VESC ergo more space in the enclosure or a smaller enclosure, more even torque. Also i think since each motor wastes space for sensors ect, the effective amount of copper/iron must be higher even if the volume of the can is smaller compared to 2 motors of the same volume.

That sounds pretty lit man , what motor is that? ?

And can someone split this to a new topic like “Single Dual Belt Drive” don’t wanna peer this threads off topic

Maybe bigger gears be quieter n stronger. Or u could cast the parts in resin and carbon after making molds n be stronger.

W two motor on one fixed axle w one esc risky they lose synch n also that axle would inhibit turning.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how this is going to drive both wheels? Can someone explain…

Hes just testing on single drive. It will be dual drive in the end. Two motors, two mounts.

1 Like

Thank you for explaining this to me. @Skunk Maybe I am not clear about it. That’s right, this is just a single drive. If you want a dual drive, you must have two gearboxes.

1 Like

Well that’s what I assumed, but they were saying it was going to be a design that allowed one motor to drive both wheels… Which I’ve never seen a design that would do that.

Who? I know that was a discussion in a different thread. And I think someone on here randomly brought it up. But the original poster and designer of the drive has been shooting for dual drive from the start. One of the main things that’s trying to be accomplished with this setup, is being able to run 6374 or larger Motors without having a 218 hanger.

2 Likes

I don’t mean like it’s the point of the thread, just that a few mentioned dual drive a couple times so I was just asking about that.

For sure. I don’t see the point in one motor for two wheels. It makes sense with combustion engines. But luckily electric motors are small

1 Like

Lol agreed. Plus I’ve read that if both wheels are going the exact same speed then turning becomes an issue.

How is this going there haven’t been any updates in a while?

Sorry, because I am busy at work recently. I have made new gearboxes and gears this week. I will continue to update and test this weekend.

IMG_6063

29 Likes