Spiral Bevel Gears Gearbox pre-order

Oh thanks for reminding me, I have Metr data

Not too bad, I was hammering it as much as I could

12 Likes

Thanks @sofu for sharing her experiences and suggestions. This is very helpful to me.

8 Likes

@sofu I never thought my mounts would fit @MorrisHsu gear drives. But I am kinda curious if it would be close or not even.

The space from the front to the mounting surface is 19mm / How far in do the gear drives sit from the end of the hanger? @MorrisHsu

To go further in would require the round part to be larger than the 29mm it is now.

There is 35.7mm of usable axle when using a 70mm shoulder bolt. Longer shoulder bolts could alleviate the issue.

1 Like

The gear drives sit is 38.7mm from the end of the hanger

%E6%93%B7%E5%8F%962

2 Likes

If this is data for both motors itā€™s looking really good

One idea, since you are testing so much drives, you make standard test procedure/route that you always try to ride the same way, then itā€™s easy to compare everything

5 Likes

Yeah, I have to figure out a new standard route for testing since I moved to a new place. I used to have one

@lrdesigns maybe you can save @MorrisHsu some work and make an extended pressfit mount for his gearbox :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Updateā€¦
Updated gear size added thrust bearing

IMG_6855

23 Likes

Iā€™m really glad that when I gave my detailed feedback to @MorrisHsu he really listened and updated his design. Itā€™s not my original suggested design change but I believe the big thrust bearing will be even better for keeping the wheel gear in place so the two gears will mesh well. Of course, this new change will be thoroughly testedā€¦ I really want this gearbox to be great!

14 Likes

great thing about needle bearings is that the higher the pressure the easier they roll. Same principle is used for cannondale forks.

4 Likes

Roller bearings are used as stock in the fork headset of high end 200kg motorbikes putting out 150hp, or upgraded to where the bike is budget made and they wear out. Very suitable for high load applications

If the axle is not true to the hanger that could be a problemā€¦but that would be any bearing

1 Like

please please lmk when itā€™s good to buy two in raw aluminum, gang :slight_smile: thank you!

Iā€™d be keen to try a set of these when these issues are sortedā€¦

2 Likes

New gears with thrust bearing

image image image image

They seem to seat way more securely than the old ones. Will test them soonā€¦

22 Likes

PalatableFrenchBasilisk-small

4 Likes

Will you be able to use these with other trucks, say cRonins? Got dimensions of your truck mounting plate if you donā€™t mind?

1 Like

Whatā€™s the use of the thrust bearing?

This is dimensions of truck mounting plate
I only tried installing on Calibre II and TorqueBoards trucks

%E6%93%B7%E5%8F%96

2 Likes

Because the gear will slippage phenomenon when the torque is high.

2 Likes

Oh, also another question. Iā€™m not a mech-e of any sort, but I thought it was recommended that meshing gears be at least co-prime with one another to prevent excessive wear?

Isnā€™t that still a thing?

2 Likes

It pushes one part into another image

6 Likes