Spiral Bevel Gears Gearbox pre-order

I do the same… Riding around on thane and wanna cross the street to get around the caveman pedestrian, dammit I can’t, not enough clearance to jump a curb.

4 Likes

Yeah… First fall I’ve had in like 6+ months?

It’s karma because I’ll usually turn around and grin like an asshole at @SeanHacker whenever we pull onto a rough road. I got defeated by a 2" fissure I usually don’t even notice on pneumatics, and Sean got to watch me eat shit.

Don’t worry, he definitely pointed and laughed. Karma. Womp womp.

9 Likes

When it happened, I felt like time stopped, the whole world around me paused, and I peed a little from laughing so hard on the inside. :smile:

9 Likes

@DerelictRobot be like image

6 Likes

@MorrisHsu

form filled.

can we get parts from you if things need replacing? bearings, gears, etc.

also, what’s the approximate weight of each one?

do the gears need to be greased? if so, what type?

@sofu

can you please measure or take a pic of ground clearance?

1 Like

I believe I have seen some gear drives use archoil which is what zealous uses in its bearings.

1 Like

I posted this in the pics thread but here

IMG_5616

14 Likes

Jumping off curbs with 107 electric flywheels is cake. So soft you can’t feel a thing

1 Like

If this batch goes well, I will start making kegal wheel, Surfrodz truck and AT wheel.

1 Like

Of course, you can buy parts here or buy the bearings yourself.
If the driving dual drive weight is close to 1.3KG, the motor and TRUCK are not included.
I am still trying a variety of greased.

2 Likes

Couldn’t resist not buying this! Looks awsome and has a fairly moderate price!

If you ever make a batch for surfrodz rkp 200mm with inward mount, I’d be so down for a pair for $300…

1 Like

How does 2:1 gearing on gear drive compare to belts? I run 18/36 on my 107s @ 190kv and love it…

I filed out the form but im only interested in kegel adapters so you can put me down for the kegel edition when it comes out

1 Like

I think this gearbox is a really great solution for people who like narrow trucks and a lot of power. I have more fun carving calibers than surfrodz and i enjoyed retaining the power I had and not having to go down to smaller motors. I gave some suggestions to @MorrisHsu from my tests that I’m posting here, just for posterity. I’ll translate to english later but here it is in chinese:

OK我測試了一下了!大部分還不錯!可是我有一些意見

OK I tested it! It’s pretty good! But I have some suggestions

IMG_5615

有很大的洞,不能加 grease,gearbox 很大聲

There is a big hole here, can’t add grease, so gearbox is very loud

IMG_5614

如果這個洞大一點,安裝會比較簡單

If that [motor gear] hole is bigger, installation would be a lot simpler

IMG_5625

你給我的六個螺丝都太短了

All 6 screws you gave me [for the gearbox cover plate] were too short

His response:

感謝妳的意見~ 那個洞我測試後也困擾很久,但是為了調整角度才有那個洞,我在想是不是像E-Toxx一樣也用Sugru來防止漏油。 其他的部分我這邊也會來做修改。 我想說等這批都順利,我就會製作kegal wheel和Surfrodz truck也包含AT輪

Thank you kindly for your suggestions~ That hole [in the pivot cup side of the gearbox] I agonized over a while after I tested it, but because it is necessary for adjustability, I’m thinking to be like E-Toxx and use Sugru to prevent leaking grease. As for the rest, I will do adjustments here. I’m thinking if this batch goes well, I will make kegel adapter and Surfrodz adapter and AT wheel [adapter].

Me:

OK!我也有surfrodz 和 pressfit mount (https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/closed-50-surf-rodz-rkp-press-fit-mount-200mm/76162) 如果可能街上話我可以測試

OK! I also have surfrodz and pressfit mount [by @lrdesigns] . If it’s possible to install I will test it.

我昨天粗去測試了一下,有一些skipping的問題… 有時候Torque 好像太大。有可能在畫紅線那一邊再放一個load bearing要不然gear會跑掉

I went to test it a bit yesterday, there are some problems with skipping… Sometimes Torque seems too big [for the mesh]. Probably put a load bearing where I drew the red circle, otherwise the drive gear will run away.

His response:

好的!我到時候改好再寄新的給妳

OK! I will change it and send you new ones

Basically a really responsive and quality guy and his hardware is great. Just needs one major change (additional bearing on the drive gear) and some possible minor ones and it’s a great gearbox!

Edit: translated

26 Likes

Nice testing @sofu ! And awesome he is receptive to feedback.

A lot of motors cans can move away from the front under load like 1mm or so, this might be a contributing factor to the mesh issue under load. I think some designs have a trust bearing under the motor gear.

Thanks for linking my mounts, that is round one has some good pics but the current round is 3 and active.

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/surfrodz-rkp-200mm-press-fit-mounts-round-3-lrdesigns/86936?u=lrdesigns

5 Likes

Yeah there is a thrust bearing in this case and the motor gear is right up against it. It’s not possible for it to move backwards at all. I think in this case there is just too much play in the wheel gear for it to mesh properly under high torque. An extra bearing at the very front like I marked would probably solve that.

I found out it’s not possible to use your pressfit mounts on surfrodz because it’s mounted too shallow. Not enough space for the wheel…

2 Likes

Would a longer axel help? Some people a runing 100mm axles.

1 Like

I only estimated by eye, but I think it would be helpful if you posted the height of the mount and @MorrisHsu took a look and measured it, then we can know for sure

3 Likes

@sofu did you look at the consumption and can say anything about? Thanks