SOLIDEOGLORIA Modular Flex Enclosure [AU] -- SENDING FREE SAMPLES

An open source system designed for maximum flex, twist, compression, and distortion. Its an insurance policy for your expensive electrics. One that fully protects. Its the only enclosure you’ll ever need.

As an expandable system of modules (each housing a 2s4p pack or two 2s2p packs) it can wire an unlimited number of batteries together! Flex-wise: It’s got more flex than a bamboo board!

Modelled after an armadillo shell I instantly thought of the back protector I use for supersport motorcycling – A ‘Manis D1’ back protector by Italian company Dainese. Dainese are world-class innovators with research backed by an Italian university and their gear is used by Moto GP champions like Casey Stoner and Valentino Rossi on Team Ducati or Team Honda.

Diagram___ Armadillo(500) (Illustration: Armadillo!)

Unlike other enclosures that adopt a one-piece turtle-shell-shaped design which is thick, bulky, and heavy, creatures like the armadillo, centipede, millipede, and lobster, have a ’multiple-unit’ shell / exoskeleton that is very light & very strong able to protect internal organs whilst having the added advantage of being able to move with the creature.

(Illustration: Dainese Manis D1 back protector)

Each module links together using overlapping tongue-in-groove joints sealed with neoprene tape (for insulation and dampening). Neoprene is the material of choice for wetsuits used by divers, surfers, spear-fishermen, etc. It will keep water and debris out. Rubber, on the otherhand is a bit too hard and stiff for a flex deck. The combination of tongue in groove joints sandwiched with neoprene allows freedom of movement on the outside in the series of modules AND ALSO on the inside as each 2s4p cell (and its wiring connections e.g. silicone wire, or copper braid) move freely with the board not against it.

Diagram-overlapping%20tongue-in-groove (Illustration: Overlapping tongue-in-groove joint in woodwork)

This system is the antithesis of the typical long and rigid one-piece enclosures not designed to bend repeatedly. Such enclosures incur stress at the joints and are prone to cracking as the board flexes. – Think of all those bumps in the road, jumps, landings, cracks in the pavement, popping up curbs, jumping off curbs and stairs, power slides…, pumping and carving… etc… And with an ESK8, you’re navigating unchartered territory by travelling far faster and far further than any traditional skateboard has ever travelled.

Before designing this I had already noticed critical design flaws in other enclosures that developed cracks due to poor design and poor material choice, even the bigger names – I won’t name names. But the if you look closely, there is obviously limited / inadequate flexibility on a flexible deck (Stiff decks have the same problem). Over time, and distance travelled, stress inevitably builds up and cracks form, compromising all the electrics. By then, you’d need a new enclosure, and possibly new electrics. At the very least you’d need to do repairs.

But a design that allows maximum flex prevents cracks from forming in the first place, ensuring full protection of your electrics from:

• Intrusion by external debris like water, dust, dirt, snow, mud, etc
  • Battery pack damage from cracks in cells / solder joints / tack welds / etc
  • Risk of short circuit from cracked / loose / disconnected wires / nickel strips / copper braid
  • Touching in general: As VESC / FOCBOX / ESCape are physically insulated!

This is the ideal solution for those looking for:

• Maximum flexibility
  • Durability
  • Longevity
  • Strength
  • Reliability
  • Scalability
  • Replaceability

It will last much much longer than other enclosures AND it’s scalable ready for upgrading / upsizing the battery! And when you’ve board-slided or grinded on that rail, gutter, or bench once too many, just replace the module (not the whole enclosure).

As a one-size for all system, your board can be made extra-short, short, medium, long, or extra-long, all using one system. You can interchange between boards, upscaling or downscaling.

Battery pack: You’ll need a custom made battery pack with wires linking each individual 2s4p pack inside each module (~1" / 25mm of wire per connection). It’s a very easy solder job, easily done in one day. In other words, the enclosure won’t readily suit any pre-made battery packs without modification. It must be custom made, OR you can cut up a pre-made battery pack into smaller 2s4p packs and re-connect them together!

If this sounds too overwhelming: PM me for custom made battery packs.

Wiring: Each wire that connects each 2s4p pack must be routed, either:

1. Through the enclosure via. a hole with a grommet (see rubber grommet on the Blue Kevlar Carbon).
  2. Under the enclosure (in deck) by routing or chiselling a strip of material from the deck. About 2-5mm, which will hardly affect structural integrity of the deck.
  3. Under the enclosure (above deck) by having a thicker 5mm neoprene gasket, allowing wires to sandwich between the deck and the enclosure.

Method 1 is fine, but the exposed wires means there is some risk of wires snagging objects whilst riding, Also means more cleaning after each ride (e.g. using a toothbrush).

Method 2 & 3 is the safest and sleekest option. Hidden wires means full protection and less cleaning. :+1:

Fibreglass reinforced. Weight: ~33g / 1.16 oz. Theoretically, Kevlar can absorb a puncture impact better than carbon, which would shatter. It also has abrasion resistance while carbon would disintegrate a bit quicker.
Super light, very hard and strong. It has some twist and flex too if you man-handle the module.

Fibreglass reinforced. Weight: ~35g / 1.23 oz. Super light, very stiff, hard, and strong, with some twist.

Fibreglass reinforcement: Provides a stronger structure and electrical insulation (especially against carbon which is highly conductive).

Specifications / Dimensions:

• External dimensions of module (overall): 190 x 125mm (7.5 x 5")
  • Internal dimensions: 120 x 85mm (4.72 x 3.35")
  • Measurement of tongue overlap (as pictured): ~20mm (0.8")
  • Weight: ~35g per module

Installation & ideal flex: Overlap amount is down to personal preference. The standard overlap is already over-engineered and will exceed most peoples’ expectations.

Total length with a standard 20mm tongue overlap:

• 2 modules = 220mm (8.7")
  • 3 modules = 320mm (12.6")
  • 4 modules = 420mm (16.5")
  • 5 modules = 520mm (20.5")
  • 6 modules = 620mm (24.4")
  • 7 modules = 720mm (28.3")
  • 8 modules = 820mm (32.3") — Fits most longboards.
  • 9 modules = 920mm (36.2")

[Math break down: For 2 connected modules: [ (120mm x 2) - (20mm x 1) ] = 220mm. For 4 connected modules: [ (120mm x 4) - (20mm x 3) ] = 420mm. Etc, etc.]

For closer fits: Up to 20mm per tongue (and groove) can be trimmed off for a super close and snug fit. It will still work, but I’d recommend cutting off no more than 15mm, for at least a 5mm tongue to remain. You also can do this yourself (not hard) with a hack saw, and clean it up with sandpaper, but it won’t be as nicely finished.]

For wider fits and more flex (than pictured): Space modules further apart for a ~5mm (0.2") overlap. 2 modules connected equals 375mm long (14.8").

Total length with 5mm tongue overlap: – About 11% shorter

• 4 modules = 375mm (14.76")
  • 5 modules = 460mm (18.11")
  • 6 modules = 545mm (21.46")
  • 7 modules = 630mm (24.8")
  • 8 modules = 715mm (28.15)

[Math break down: For 2 connected modules: [ (120mm x 2) - (35mm x 1) ] = 205mm. For 4 connected modules: [ (120mm x 2) - (35mm x 1) ] = 375mm. Etc, etc.]

[For a 0mm overlap, for theory’s sake. For 2 connected modules [ (120mm x 2) - (40mm x 1) ] = 200mm. For 4 connected modules: [ (120mm x 4) - (40mm x 3) ] = 360mm.

Made in Australia: Each part is made with love and care. Full attention to detail with no expense spared. They’re not mass produced in slave labour / sweat shop conditions in China, India, South America, or any 3rd world country. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, apart from… health & safety issues, hygiene & sanitation issues, class inequality issues, child and female exploitation issues (think of your mum, sisters, and aunts!), human trafficking and slave camps… (Think of your dad, brothers, and uncles!) They’re also not made in underdeveloped and impoverished parts of Europe like Poland, Eastern Europe, or from gulags in Soviet Russia, or in any illegal or unethical manner. Everything is done above board.

About price: This allows me to produce a sweet product for your enjoyment. This way I’m happy, you’re happy. It fully covers all the material costs, labour, and production time (at the minimum Australian award rate), also the plethora of immeasurable small inputs, the overall complexity, difficulty, and fuss.

About quality: These are quality specialty parts. You get what you pay for. Each order is fastidiously quality checked before shipping, cleaned, sanitised, wrapped and packaged securely in the best packaging available, … ready for a long and safe journey by plane to your door… :slightly_smiling_face:

10s4p Example: A 10s4p 18650 li-ion battery pack needs 5 modules to house the battery (i.e. 5 x 2s4p = 10s4p), plus an additional module to house the VESCs / FOCBoxes. A total of 6 modules.

12s4p Example: A 12s4p 18650 li-ion battery pack needs 6 modules to house the battery (i.e. 6 x 2s4p = 12s4p), plus an additional module to house to house the VESCs / FOCBoxes. A total of 7 modules.

FREE INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING

Turn around time: 3-4 weeks

1 Year Warranty & Support: FREE replacement if anything breaks, within reason. Just send me a photo of the damage. No questions asked.

Availability: I’m only accepting 10 names (at a maximum of one set of enclosures per order / name).

PM me with:

• Full name
  • Address (street, city, state, post code, country)
  • Number of modules you want
  • Material and finish you want

I’ll reply with PayPal info.

Thank you! :sunglasses:

ROUND 1 SALE FOR FIRST 10 ORDERS - 65% OFF (UNTIL AUGUST)

Don’t miss out!

After the first 10 names, the price goes up to regular price.

Get in while you can!

Thank you!

[UPDATE - July 2018]

In response to sample requests…

FREE samples ready to go!

PM me and I’ll ship you a FREE slice of an actual enclosure for your testing / analysis.

Black carbon

White fibreglass - Honeycomb de coupage.

More Finishes:

(White masking tape showing through underneath. But it gives you an idea how White Fibre Vermicelli would look.)

Vermicelli (500)Yum…:ramen::drooling_face: (And yes, vermicelli is food.)

Poverty Relief & Student Discounts:

If you’re suffering from poverty, in dire financial difficulty, and or poverty related hardship, OR are currently studying at college / university, and you can prove this I will send you a set of enclosures for my cost price (or very close to). The price will be given at my discretion, on a case by case basis, but I promise it will be very cheap, close to, if not the same as what I pay (Mark 12:31). PM me for details. – Warning: Phonies and frauds beware! I will demand personal details so if you are suspected and found to be fraudulent, I will report you.

2 Likes

That’s a lot for just an enclosure

2 Likes

You’re beeing too nice. Its a collossal shitload of money for just an enclosure. I can make 4 integrated CF decks for that cash.

1 Like

They look wonderful but i can’t afford It.

Even if they are everlasting, the price… I don’t have flex boards anyway. If you accept my advice make a non premium enclosure for a reasonable price. You will sell very few of those. I hope i am wrong and i wish you the best.

2 Likes

It looks nice and we’re starting to see this type of modular enclosure on the fringes of the esk8 product world - taboo, thingiverse etc.

Personally I like what’syou come up with. We’ve already seen some designs that can accomodate flex being sold for Trampa mostly.

We’re talking about 12s4p as a baseline as this is not a low end gear you would predominitely see any interest from the 50v club,so you need a 7th segment in reality…

I understand your pricing explaination,but this is the cost image

Around the same as the cost of the introductory price offering of La Croix - maple/carbon deck with flexible enclosure included taking 60+cells

That is what you are up against in terms of price Vs expectations

Good luck

2 Likes

With that price i can make vacuumed cf enclosure myself + some cash to burn.

I mean trampa flex cf enclosure is like $200-300

I guess that thing u make will last forever, but nobody ask for last forever enclosure.

But I think someone will probably buy some, as I’ve seen some ridiculous prices being sold here.

Thank you all for the prompt replies and kind feedback.

If you look at it from the other perspective, if all enclosures were initially built this way (and battery packs made accordingly), then there would be less concern about cracking and damaged enclosures and risk of damaging the internal electrics. So, I do believe this is an idyllic solution to a rigid inflexible enclosure on a deck that flexes, twists, and vibrates, as all do. This modular enclosure will cover all those bases: Flex, twist, vibration, and impact.

Also, in the event you crack a module, for whatever reason, it can be swapped out and replaced.:+1:

I offer non-premium one-piece enclosure (See, WANTED - 10s4p enclosure [Australia] - Wanted Items - Electric Skateboard Builders Forum | Learn How to Build your own E-board)

It’s AU $45 in fibreglass, or whatever material and finish. It double stacks 2 x 10s4p. :slightly_smiling_face:

It will last a long time, by nature of the design, not forever… Its structural integrity is less easily compromised.

Being modular, you can swap out damaged sections easily, and the overlapping tongue-in-groove connection allows it to bend, twist, and take (some) impact without breaking. The neoprene seals help even more. Think of a train with many carriages absorbing all the vibrations vs. one long carriage that would snap in half on the first hard corner. Long vehicles don’t work. For this reason, many cars have cracked door posts from all the turning and twisting they’ve done over the years.

Think of it also as an investment and insurance: When one puts so much effort planning, time waiting for parts to arrive, and money into an esk8 built, who wants it to break while riding? So many builds have turned into a total loss, falling apart from the enclosure. The modular system will be a much better platform to build a precious esk8. It will protect your electrics and take quite the beating.

‘Build your house on solid rock, not sinking sand.’ (Mt. 7:27)

4 Likes

If the problem is negible cost in laying up a big piece of carbon as opposed to a small piece,then the problemis the mold.

Design the mold to produce enough segments for an entire 7 segments + or even more.

You have to halve this cost or it’sa fringe item

3 Likes

Pricing is per segment ? :face_with_thermometer:

@banjaxxed Which cost are you interested in seeing halved? AU 301.85 (EURO 196.15), or AU 603.70 (EURO 392)?

i like the diagram

2 Likes

@Blasto :blush: Yes, it’s a highly technical diagram.

you should probably show how these guys are connected together, a GIF showing off the flex might help also.

is there a channel for the wires?

The overall pricing regardless of currency

Produce multiple segments in one multi layup, then cut the segments out. The introductory offer is generous if this is the pricing model however it will not be a ubiquitous item

1 Like

Why do you need an enclosure that is able to flex that much, it looks super nice btw if you have a super flexy deck it wont flex more than 20% maybe and then you you will be scraping the floor Also the price is just way too high IMO

Amazing! Out of my league tho

Done! – See revised OP with photos showing a side-view profile of the connections and flex. Not a GIF exactly, but I trust that will do.

Personally i wouldn´t spend more than 100€ for a 10s4p enclosure for a standard board. If it´s really nice and everything for a Trampa Urban Carver a 12s4p, i would go up for up to 200€. I wouldn´t spend more.