Solderless 5S6P pack build with 18650

Are those wires copper? They look like aluminum. That’s an easy drop in resistance.

Well the wire is from hobbyking and it is high strand core tinned copper I used 16awg for the cell connections which is good for 35Amps, then 14awg for the + and - leads which is good for 55.6Amps… probably could get away with using 18 or 20awg for the cell connections…

The silver based product I found is corrosion resistant and adheres to aluminum and copper and has a volume resistivity of just 0.0001 Ohms-cm

• compared to Nickel @ 0.0068 Ohms-cm and Carbon @ 0.46 Ohms-cm /

I havent rebuilt it yet using the silver product…hopefully soon !! because the pack is working without any issues… which is a good right!!

Anyhow… I have found a source for 3.45Ah cells from a 2016 Tesla 90D with only 5k… The previous generation Tesla cells were 3.2Ah and have minimal capacity loss and 1000-2000 of cycle life…

Will probably try to arrange a Canadian group buy for the cells in two weeks time… so far Ive been quoted $3.59 per cell in 150 qty.

1 Like

Why tape? Why not kapton? The heat deforms electrical tape.

1 Like

Yeah…I…have…some…on…order…

I…didnt…see…any…deformation…

Im…powering…an.30lbs…e-bike…with…8speeds… …If…I…have…60…cells…in…my…pack… pushing…1500…watts…max 500-1200watts…continously… per…cell…its…not…alot…

Seems dangerous and like more work than it’s worth.

For my latest battery pack, I calculated the amount of copper I need in a strip to get the same as a 10 awg, and came up with 20mm wide of .4 thick copper sheets. I could solder a cell in under 3 seconds, cells never even really got warm, so I doubt theres any damage. It keeps packs super thin still also. Took maybe 4 hours to do a 12s4p including cutting and shaping the copper and adding balance wires.

Just seems like theres safer options… You don’t need to be a jerk with Will either, he’s a nice guy, always very active and trying to help. He wasn’t trying to be a dick.

Hello guys. I’m from Brazil and I’m communicating with you using an automatic translator. Weird words may appear. I already thought of something similar to this not for the cost, but to protect the soldering cells from tin and to facilitate the exchange of a cell that has problem. I was excited because you were successful in your experience. I even suggest improvements in this technique. In addition to using polyacrylamide tape as a colleague suggested before, use a ball made of aluminum foil at the point of the wire at each pole of the cells. This will increase the contact surface and allow more efficient electrical conduction, further reducing the risk of heating. With these two materials this technique will be very robust!

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like