So i pressed a deck this weekend

Haha nice logo :smile:

1 Like

10/10 logo looks great

1 Like

Thanks guys! I’ve been getting some pretty positive feedback on the logo in general, so I feel pretty good about it. I just got confirmation that my die cuts and stickers will be shipped in a couple weeks, so i’m hoping to have my very first complete up for sale on my new site by the end of November, along with a couple of deck and box options including just the unmodified decks for use with push boards or for people who want to hack it their own way (can’t imagine anyone around here would want to hack anything!) I’m probably going to give my oldest sons a couple of non-electro decks for Christmas with some caliber IIs and a set of These whites on them. My oldest has been drooling over my deck design since i showed him the drawings earlier this year.

Now this is what I call proactive… congrats on your efforts man…

Just 18 month ago I was doing exactly what your doing. Making a website, getting my first products together, designing logo’s…

Its one he’ll of a ride! Enjoy it - it could take you places you’ve never imagined.

Imagine it. build it.

1 Like

just curious @longhairedboy how much you pay for your diecuts?

the 3" stickers were $45 for 100 and the 6" black vinyl die cuts were $72 for 25. There was a $35 art charge also. i got them at diecutstickers.com

logo is sick and the board looks exactly the the one you just pressed

1 Like

Yeah just asking only cause i found this.

2 Likes

@lowGuido LOL holy shit! So I guess you work at the sticker plant? I love this forum.

@kai Thanks bro!

interesting tidbit: The character in that logo is featured in a comic i drew (11 episodes) back in 2011. It got buried in my current blog site but will be pretty easy to get to on my new site. He works at a catfood factory in the comic and is sort of an engineer. At some point he will have new adventures in a skate lab i’m sure.

Nah. Just fuckin with ya. Making stickers is just another of the many random things I do. Just busted that one out in a spare few mins this arvo lol.

1 Like

@lowGuido LOL you seriously had me going there for a minute. I was like WTF who is this cat.

1 Like

Nice work man. where did you get your mood CNCed and what was cost?

@thundercookie A dude named Vince up in Oregon hooked me up. It was $500 shipped to my door. Jim at Marwood referred me to him. I had been calling around for a while and people either wouldn’t call me back or were giving me ridiculous quotes of like $1500 or more.

If anyone wants his contact info, PM me. I asked him if i could give it out and he said he was cool with me spreading the word. “I got kids to feed” i think is what he said. Don’t we all.

1 Like

Ok awesome thanks. Can you shoot me his email please? Im in Melbourne Australia. Chers bud.

Just wanted to update this thread with the progress I made this past weekend. I was able to add in the motor plugs for the rear wheels and the electronics/box area. Here’s the pictorial:

First I took some measurements and drew out the channels with a pencil after drilling the holes all the way through for the plugs. On my 6S build, i did this from the bottom side. This time I’m doing it from the top so that this beautiful wood can be preserved on the bottom while any ugliness left over from the process will be covered in paint and grip tape.

Then I got my dremel and went to work on the channels. After that was done, I epoxied the connectors into place. Last time i soldered all the connectors to their wires before placing them into the deck. That was a huge pain in the ass. This way was a lot easier. Also, one side effect of soldering the plugs after epoxying them is that it gives you a second chance to finely tune the plugs’ alignment. I was able to make the height of the plugs more even when they were hot from the solder because the melted the epoxy into a gooey state that allowed me to slide them up and down slightly before they hardened into place again. This was awesome because i couldn’t get them as even as i wanted simply by holding them for five minutes until the epoxy gelled up. Next time i’ll have to make a jig for the plugs to align them even more perfectly.

Here’s the bottom side with the plugs in place. My plan is to fabricate some right angle connectors for those posts that will be inside the enclosure. That will allow me to keep the box as low as the space cell and VESC without worrying about stressing connectors. Last time i had leads wires with plugs on the ends just coming directly out of the wood, which resulted in some ugliness as well as some inflexibility of placement for the ESC.

After the channel was good and the plugs were fastened in, i soldered in the wires (while making some minor adjustments to the plug heights) and filled the whole thing slightly over the edge with polyester resin. One day soon i’m going to get some West Systems stuff, but for now i’m trying to use up my Bondo.

Once the resin hardened into plastic i sanded it down smooth with the deck and re-applied some wood stain around the edges that got hit with the sander. After that I masked off the edges so i’d have a nice border once painted.

here’s another shot of the underside of the deck after the resin hardened but before i taped the deck.

then i painted the top. That white triangle is where my logo will go, then some polyurethane over the whole board and some clear grip tape on top.

I’ll be back to post the final pics when its done. :smile:

4 Likes

it would be a waste to use west systems epoxy for something like that anyways bro. i use it cause i need the 207 hardener that dries super clear for nice finish. but i guess you cant really use to fast of a hardener cause it will generate more heat and might affect the glue. looking sweet bro

i’ll just leave this here…

full disclosure: i totally and irreparably messed up the deck that this thread started out with by placing the box-side motor plugs way too close to where the motors would be. As gorgeous as it is, i can’t use it for an electric build lol.

so while i was lamenting that before pressing another one to start over, i decided to make a last minute shape change due to my feet telling me that the wings weren’t wide enough to rise above that sexy hump in the middle. So i made it look like a freakin’ stealth bomber. problem solved.

All that being said, this is the new Scarlet.

3 Likes

I like that better then the first.

1 Like

Dude! Those press lines are amazing!

1 Like

my feet like it a lot better too :smile: