Slow your roll old timer!

Same here, we have a group that most doesn’t participate here because of that

1 Like

Heres how it worked for me. I upgraded an old fiik lead acid thing that the kids had and it turned out ok but left me wanting. I then ghosted this place for a year before joining. Read everything I possibly could to learn how to improve the board. I then bought 2 pre builts and reverse engineered them to learn more. Then i built a board from what I had learned, all without a single question because I had read and researched. Watched every LHB you tube video I could find too. The information is at your finger tips but it depends on how much effort you are willing to put in and thats what frustrates most people. I genuinely enjoy helping people out, I do but I will not spoon feed you if you haven’t done the research or used the proper channels ie; the noob thread. As @Skunk said its silly to open new threads for every question and that can be handled by teaching, not just build skills but forum etiquette. I usually try to find a helpful thread thats on topic and then direct them to the search function by explaining how I found the information. It was more of a learning curve for me to use the forum correctly than it was to piece together a build to be honest.

3 Likes

Really though, there were threads asking for the exact same questions opened within 12 hours…

2 Likes

There has been tons of new noob threads lately but I think members should be more gentle with the “search button” suggestions and general memeing of the thread. Of course their questions might be answerable with a few minutes of looking but you don’t have to insult them, just point 'em in the right direction and a slap on the wrist for being lazy. Don’t spoon feed them the answers though.

I myself have asked simple questions that could have been answered through the search function only to realize I could find it after an hour of looking. Not that I quite knew what I was looking for at the time though which can make it hard, especially if you’re new to this.

I guess I’m just trying to say; be easier on them. There’s a lot to learn and being nice will make this a better place. There will still be potatoes who just want to potato though.

2 Likes

In my opinion, this is the best option: :slightly_smiling_face:
SEARCHGIFlookacrazycool
Credit goes to @anon64938381.

5 Likes

I try to help and give advice when ever possible, i only tend to suggest reasearch when i feel like not doing so is dangerous. Like when a cocky noob that didnt even know what a bms is let alone any principles of electricity was asking how to build a battery. I kindly suggested him to do a bit of reasearch and linked a book from amazon DIY lithium batteryies before he purchased or attemted anything. My warning fell on deaf ears. :confused:

3 Likes

I do admit, that is a great gif

2 Likes

I think GIFs are an easy and lighthearted way to get the point across, easy to make and digest :+1:

Ill be making a few more in the future :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

2 Likes

It’s one of those “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime” thing.

If you got the time, start by nudging them towards the search feature, then answer a bit or more of their question. It’s like giving them a fish so they don’t die, then teach them to fish. There’s someone here that always acts l33t and just tells people to search. That’s basically giving them a fishing rod in the middle of a desert like an a$$hole

9 Likes

On another real note, when is Discourse going to come out with the ability for someone to generate a thread, where the replys (all, or only NON OP ) all have to follow a common format

E.g: If I made a thread about entry level noob builds and configurations, and I want the replys to follow a format of

Deck

trucks

wheels

motor

battery

esc

Then I should be able to enforce that :man_shrugging:

Its clearly a half thought idea, but you see what I mean

2 Likes

3 Likes

Yep, searching through the noob thread helped answered questions that I would have repeatedly posted. Took me a year before I can get my build running but needed that patient and do the research to find the best setup for me. BTW thanks @Andy87 for answering a few of my questions.:grin::call_me_hand:

4 Likes

Always welcome as far as my knowledge goes i‘m ready to help out always :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Sometimes I would prefer people not to see my old posts or terrible ideas I’ve tried.

“How I made my lipos slimmer” is one I contributed to that I wish I could take back. :grimacing:.

9 Likes

I once inadvertently (bad wording) told a guy to do a re detect on a burnt out motor. Had lhb ream me a new one. Quick ninja edit and all was well. You do have to be careful how you word certain things or run the risk of bricking their brand new kit.

5 Likes

Haha i mean you can always delete it

1 Like

I think new users should be given like two free threads when they sign up so they can ask whatever they want. Hopefully, they will use them wisely. To earn more new thread privileges, they would need to spend X number of days on the site or X number of hours reading, etc., until they’ve reached some threshold where they’re considered vetted noobs or normal members.

6 Likes

On the contrary, I think terrible ideas are both great stories and learning experiences. I proudly put all my screwups in my build logs :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree with this 100% - We should be patient with new users when they ask basic questions, even those that could be answered with a simple search. There’s no need to bombard a new member with negativity if they are coming to the group with an earnest desire to learn.

None of us regular members are responsible for answering every question that comes onto the forum - if you don’t like the question you can ignore it.

10 Likes