Simple 3D-printed NRF remote - Arduino controlled

That sounds about right :slight_smile: Did you check that you connected TX and RX correctly? You should not need an extra GND wire, as long as you got GND through the PPM cable.

If you got an Arduino Pro Mini laying around, you can use that for debugging as it got a hardware serial and a virtual serial port. I made an example in the library you could try out. Did you configure the correct baud rate for both VESC and receiver? Have you tried a lower baudrate?

WAIT. Looks like its working nowā€¦ I downloaded the latest commit from the branch! Looks better now! Maybe I made a mistake by downloading just the master developer branch instead of the latest commit? Thanks for your help. Everything works now as expected. Thx a lot!

Just my signal from the hall sensor is a little bit jitteringā€¦ but I didnā€™t have any capacitor inside at the moment. When I power the Arduino from the USB jack, it works perfectly. Is it more an issue from my 5v booster?

1 Like

Maybe try add a small capasitor (10uF or less) to the supply of the Hall sensor. Could be a power / noise issue.

Anyone selling this as a already assembled remote?

Did anyone have problem with telemetry using FOCBOX? And solved it? My focboxes are not sending over data through UART to the Firefly remote. SeeTheBridges isnā€™t familiar with focbox. I tried baud rates 115200 and 9600. Iā€™m lost what to look for. Please help. FW 4.12 and using BLDC Tool.

Hace i tried the latest commit from the developer branch?

Just wanted to update where Iā€™m at with my remote. I actually went back to my GT2B mod as I couldnā€™t get a reliable, stable and non noisy pulsewidth in BLDC tool. Even when riding holding a throttle position, I could feel the signal going up and down slightly; quite unnerving!

However, this remote is so cool and I really wanted to use it! I spent some time updating the remote and going over all my connections. But, the thing that made ALL the difference was setting a higher sample rate for the smoothing or averaging of the hall sensor. Specifically this bitā€¦

// Hall sensor reading can be noisy, lets make an average reading.
uint16_t total = 0;
uint8_t samples = 20;

I changed uint8_t samples = 20; to uint8_t samples = 50; (after some experimenting with different values.

Also, be careful as the signal was stable when connected to PC USB power but not when powered from battery. I updated the value and disconnect the USB before testing.

This obviously means that the reason my hall sensor is noisy is down to a power issue. Maybe a capacitor would help?

Anyway, so happy I can use this remote for some riding! Cheers!

1 Like

I have exactly the same issueā€¦ I already replaced my stepUp converter, but that doesnā€™t help. Thx for the hint with the SAMPLE. Have u any capacitor inside your build?

There are a few others @BigBrit is going to be selling some from what I can recall from memory. There was another guy on the forum but canā€™t recall atm

To be fair, Iā€™m starting to think the sample helps but didnā€™t solve the problem fully.

I did a bit further investigation and a 10uf capacitor between ground and the signal pin of the hall sensor gives me a solid read out on the remote and an almost solid read out on pulsewidth on bldc tool. The percentage is steady which I believe is what the vesc uses for throttle so it should be fine. Iā€™m going to put this together tonight and give it a go.

So maybe try a capacitor instead?

do you use genuine hall sensor?

I have no idea. I used this one.

Still waiting for parts on the slow boat at the moment but will be selling some soon!

Hi guys, got an issue with vesc data that doesnā€™t make any sense!

Iā€™ve used a bluetooth module before and the data is perfect.

Iā€™m getting nothing on battery voltage, 1539 on distance and speed bounces around 0 then 122 then 244 even when everything is stationary bench testing.

Any ideas!?

Iā€™m using a Focbox and the data is showing (other than battery level) but itā€™s making no sense to me. One thing I noticed is that you must turn debug off on the receiver else the TX/RX is used for serial monitor.

1 Like

to add to thisā€¦ if I spin the motor up the battery level shows 100% instantly and stays there until the motor stops and the reading returns to 0.

Has anyone tried to use HM-10 UART Bluetooth modul together with the receiver? Is this possible?

@solidgeek, @JTAG, @Ackmaniac or anyone else?. whatā€™s the best way to get 50hz odometry and current data from the vescs as fast as possible with a nonblocking call? What I can do now is send in a packet request and wait for it to respond~20ms . Any way to make vesc constantly spit out data? Should I be looking at can bus? Instead?

@HighMasterGogo I think your problem is caused by an compability issue. Is your VESC updated to FW3.40 and are you using the latest development commit? :slight_smile:

@StefanMe This is not possible at the moment, simple because the UART port only can handle one device connected. I am planning to explore the possiblity of using a multiplexer or an analog switch IC to make an expandable UART port on the receiver. However for now you will have to use a dual VESC setup or drop telemetry for the remote :frowning:

@mishrasubhransu Yeah that is not possible unless you could enable one of the other ports on the VESC to spit out data much faster.

1 Like

As always, youā€™re spot on. All fixed!

1 Like