Simple 3D-printed NRF remote - Arduino controlled

It makes it super easy when you make a custom PCB. Try easyeda, itll clean up a lot of the wire clutter.

1 Like

Just seeing if anybody has found a fix for the “VescUart does not name a type” error in the receiver code. By the way i tried an earlier version of arduino and it didn’t work.

I got 2 of these units https://www.adafruit.com/product/3176 at $24 each It has lipo charger, radio built in. It also operates at around 900mhz which makes the range longer(longer wavelength lower energy dissipation) also less interference from 2.4Ghz wifi networks.

Porting the code doesn’t seem difficult. Let’s see. image

Did you try the VescUart fix from solidgeek?

I was about to try it, but I think my receiver is showing its Chinese clone colors… doesn’t allow any uploads now… errors out with:

avrdude stk500_recv() programmer is not responding arduino nano

Case of the Mondays

1 Like

Hi guys,

Anyone have this issue? Sometimes when I ride, the motors would register a reverse signal spike. You can see from the my video that even though I’m not engaging my remote the board would reverse by itself for literally a split second.

Sadly this has happened way too often and even one time during high speed so I opted to switch out for the time being. If I didn’t have straps I would have been flown off of the board.

I think I got that error and had to choose ‘old bootloader’ when selecting your processor inside the IDE

please report back how this feather works. could make smallest remote ever with that all in one:)

1 Like

@atlas You have to use the VescUart library I released on Github, if you want to use the latest development branch.

@neiru37 How did you configure your VESC? What firmware do you use? Which version of the receiver software do you have? Have you configured the PPM options in the Vesc? We cant help you if you dont supply any information.

Woops, sorry wasn’t sure what to include as supplementary information.

I’m using ackmaniac on my vesc and have calibrated ppm on the vesc tool.

I’m not sure how I should answer your question on how I set up my vesc.

I used the development version of your receiver firmware before the recent changes you pushed.

Here’s a direct link to the video in case the preview doesn’t load: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Egwbgk_t3qJdiuje9l9CiDpHQGu7bc76/preview

1 Like

Omg this is awesome… :heart_eyes:

Are u working on this?

Any particular reason you left out the Wh reading from the vesc?

case COMM_GET_VALUES: // Structure defined here: https://github.com/vedderb/bldc/blob/43c3bbaf91f5052a35b75c2ff17b5fe99fad94d1/commands.c#L164

ind = 4; // Skip the first 4 bytes 
		data.avgMotorCurrent 	= buffer_get_float32(message, 100.0, &ind);
		data.avgInputCurrent 	= buffer_get_float32(message, 100.0, &ind);
		ind += 8; // Skip the next 8 bytes
		data.dutyCycleNow 		= buffer_get_float16(message, 1000.0, &ind);
		data.rpm 				= buffer_get_int32(message, &ind);
		data.inpVoltage 		= buffer_get_float16(message, 10.0, &ind);
		data.ampHours 			= buffer_get_float32(message, 10000.0, &ind);
		data.ampHoursCharged 	= buffer_get_float32(message, 10000.0, &ind);
		ind += 8; // Skip the next 8 bytes 
		data.tachometer 		= buffer_get_int32(message, &ind);
		data.tachometerAbs 		= buffer_get_int32(message, &ind);
		return true;

@neiru37 Did you configure your VESC to current with brake or reverse? I cant be sure but I dont see any flucturations on the throttle (on the display). So the problem must be on the receiver side. I think you should redo the PPM settings (VESC tool) and add some more deadband. Did you add a capasitor to your receivers 5V supply?

@Pedrodemio Well because I dont use it. If you need it I can add it no problem :blush:

Yup, it’s current with reverse, but with ackmaniac’s special only-reverse-after-fully-braking mode.

Yeah it’s definitely on the receiver side. Could it be interference?

The thing though is that it still does this while I’m engaging throttle. While my video showcases the brake throttle spike during idle, it has happened while I was accelerating. If I were to describe it, it feels as if I accidentally pulled back the throttle then back up again.

Would it matter if the spikes were happening on idle? If I remember correctly the reason for adding a cap was to compensate for voltage sag/drop that happens on the vesc 5v when accelerating hard. But if it happens on idle it seems like it’s not a power issue.

Another thing to note: It only happens when the receiver is connected to the transmitter. When I turn off the transmitter the board stops engaging the brakes/reversing. The moment I turn it back on again and it connects to the receiver it does it again. This seems like it’s less of a power/wiring issue and more of an interference/signal issue.

Thanks, Will add for sure, just checking if it has anything to do with the buffer limit of the Arduino with the firmware 3.40

Just by curiosity, how did you deal with it without changing the compiler settings?

Yeah. When I get the boards.

1 Like

it is so easily overlooked in this topic, but maybe some1 can answer my questions?^^ i printed the shell and would be ready to order parts:)

Can anyone suggest how I might configure the firefly settings so that I get accurate readings using hub motors. Obviously the current settings ask for pulley teeth, wheel diameter, etc. Not all of this is applicable to hub motors. I’d love to use the firefly with Hummie’s Hubs but I wonder if someone has already figured out the math on this?

gearing in a hub motor is 1:1 just take the same theeth amount for both, motor and wheel pulley, and set your wheel size to your wheel size.

2 Likes

I think you would have to do some rewriting maybe. It looks like the switch’s only responsibility is to act as a power switch and nothing more. You would need something like @Zyb’s remote that has a extra programmable button. Same said for cruise control, though CC is a setting in the developer’s branch of the code.

@Jc06505n there are two switches actually? img_20180314_181103750-2-1024x576

@solidgeek, can you take a look at my questions: ^scroll up^