Simple 3D-printed NRF remote - Arduino controlled

I actually have a 220uf capacitor on the other side of the board as per @ervinelin 's design! To shield my antenna I did one layer of Electrical tape, then one layer of aluminum tape. I shielded both of my modules and it works pretty well! I have yet to try it in practical environments, so im not sure if there will be any additional interference in the city, but in my suburb it works great

1 Like

Good! I also have the 220uf capacitor. If you go further in the thread they also suggest it replace the cap with a 100uf to prevent from brownout possible during hard acceleration. I also have only the 220uf for the moment and no issue, just wanted to let you know. I will try to shield my antennas and see if it change. For the moment I didnā€™t have problem during riding for the past months, but always open for upgradeā€¦ Thx :wink:

The better modules I do without shielding. See my diy trigger remote thread towards the end there are links to these better modulesā€¦

1 Like

Then I guess is the one I am using it since my receiver is the one posted at the end of your thread and we discuss about which antenna to use in the previous posts. Although I remember that you use also an external antenna while I opted for the same antenna board but without external antenna.

I use external antenna for my transmitter.

Although I have one board which uses external antenna on the receiver as wellā€¦ I get about 20m range

Good to know thanks!

what do you mean by shielding the antenna?

By shielding the antenna, I wrapped the rest of the board (not blocking the ceramic antenna) with a metal tape, in my case aluminium. Make sure you wrap the board in a non conductive material first (like electrical tape) as to not short any connections

1 Like

Do you have any tips on how to solder the NRF to the through-hole connections on @ervinelin or @Zybā€™s custom PCBs? I got some 1.27mm header pin strips and soldered them through the board, but when I solder the pins to the NRF it tends to loosen the earlier solder that holds the pins secure. The NRF complicates the job further because it doesnā€™t have actual holes at the attachment pads, but rather just half-moon crescent shaped divits. Is there a secret soldering trick for this type of connection?
Hereā€™s the shielded NRF w/ external antenna that Iā€™m using: 49%20AM

Put it directly over the pcb and donā€™t use 1.27pins. Itā€™s actually easier without pins. I just put a piece of kapton tape under the module for a piece of mind. Apply some paste, make sure iron is touching both pcb pad and module pad and then apply the solder. Just be careful if you apply too much itā€™s very easy to apply too much and bridge the connection and actually even that is easy to deal with. Hereā€™s a picture image

Is this an earlier version of your PCB? The one I ordered has the NRF attachment points on the END of the board, and they are thru-holes, rather than SMD pads.

1 Like

Itā€™s not an smd pad. You just need to treat as if it is an smd pad :grin: cover the holes on the other side with kapton tape if needed. image

1 Like

Brilliant! Thanks

1 Like

good luck!

I solder pins to PCB firstā€¦ I almost wick the solder in as opposed to apply it to the hole.

After that I place the NRF module in place and hold it there with some blutack firstā€¦ Get the first one or two in then the rest will be easyā€¦ again using a very fine tip and wicking the solder after heating the pin.

The smd style soldering sounds like a good idea too!

Wow nice!!! Let me know ASAP :smile:

P.S. Sorry for the delayed response, had to travel for work.

I cant get any of my telemetry to show up, and I followed @Dekbannok short guide posted earlier! Do you have any advice on what I might need to do to get this up and running?

I just found out that one of the latests firmware releases from Vedder broke the VescUartControl library. Im not sure about the VESC 6 version, but the one for VESV 4.12 doesnā€™t work.

What firmware do you have installed on your VESC? If its the latest that should be the problem. I have used the entire day figuring this out, and I have rewritting the library from RollingGecko. I will be posting this and a update to the receiver soon :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I use @Ackmaniacā€™s firmware and it does work :wink:

will you also have a look at the vesc6 library? I couldnā€™t get the RollingGecko library working with the newest 3.40 firmware for VESC6. If so I would be very thankful.

1 Like