Simple 3D-printed NRF remote - Arduino controlled

@solidgeek A quick question: Have you any experience with the SS495A from Aliexpress? Or would you recommend to stick with the “well known” from Honeywell ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-SS495A-95A-High-Precision-Analog-Linear-Hall-Sensor-Magnetic-Sensor-TO-92S/191160281622?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I ordered it from here and everything is okay. 1 dollar for 2pcs!

@GrecoMan Thanks man! I just created a Paypal.me page, I am very glad you think so highly of my work :slight_smile:

Donation link: https://www.paypal.me/solidgeek

@Genius2017 Thanks for the information, could be helpful. It seems that the most important factor here is to maintain a good 3.3V supply, by removing noise and supplying enough current. I will upload the the new throttle STL (and keeping the old) tomorrow if it works as expected :slight_smile:

@ervinelin Thanks I am glad you like it :slight_smile: 1. Yes, however it doesn’t support multiple addresses, so you would have to use the same pipe for both receivers - and only use one at the time. 2. As long as you change the pipe (which I recommend regardless) there should be no problem.

@DjamboBuksne Yes the remote works fine without the UART data, however you will not be able to see speed, distance and board voltage :slight_smile: The remote should work with any standard ESC on the market.

@Johan_R I have no experience with SS495A from Aliexpress. However, they probably work just fine!

Thanks for all the interest and support guys, it means a lot. I’m truly sorry that I am not able to put in more hours finishing the betas and perfecting the remote, but my work and study (electronic engineer) take up most of my time at the moment :frowning: Looking forward to see you guys improve upon my work :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@solidgeek I haven’t looked at the code yet but I assume you would assign a pipe address on the controller and another on the receiver making sure that they are the same address.

If so can’t you have a switch or some method to toggle between two pipe addresses on the controller?

Schematically, If button pressed (Pipe address = receiver 1 address) Else (Pipe address = receiver 2 address)

Of cos one board at a time will work too but just isn’t the most ideal.

1 Like

What you could do is a routine where both the receiver and transmitter use the same default pipe value at the beginning. Then the receiver could generate a new pipe value and send it to the transmitter (via the default pipe) and wait for a confirmation. Once the confirmation arrives, they both switch to the newly generated pipe and that way you don’t have issues when multiple remotes are in the area. Unless this process happens at the same time on multiple devices… in that case you could cross pair them by accident.

2 Likes

@ervinelin Yep you could definitely do that.

@egzplicit I reckon that’s a great idea. You could even have a menu option on the controller that allowed you to generate a new pipe address. To make it faster and more reliable you could have it store the random pipe address in EEPROM after the first startup (so you could start up your remote at the same time as other people after the first time). Pretty easy to do, too. Gogo @solidgeek, do it!

1 Like

Great Idea but just let betas out first before improvemts and a v2 maybe

The problem is that letting the betas go out with a hardcoded pipe address could cause lots of problems. We’re not suggesting a feature, we’re suggesting a bugfix. If these remotes turn out to be popular the likelihood of skating near someone else with another of these remotes could be high.

1 Like

@egzplicit Great idea!

@Clonkex I am already on it :wink: I only need to do some minor changes to the settings menu and adding some data to the auto-acknowledgment response, and I will have a working example. I believe this is a critical update to perform before finishing the betas :slight_smile:

I just got my first donation, thank you so much its very appreciated :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@solidgeek i dont think i’ve asked this, but you’ve added ppm to the receiver right? So that it can be used with any esc?

Well yeah, that’s how the VESC works as well. That’s the only way for a receiver to work unless you make your own custom ESC :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@chinzw Yeah it should work with any standard ESC :slight_smile:

Fantastic! I’m so glad you agree about that! It shouldn’t be super difficult to do either.

It’s surprisingly uncommon to see another person who’s experience in CAD, programming AND electronics. It’s really awesome! Fellow jacks-of-all-trades unite!

2 Likes

This is amazing I’d like to try making one or two, can you link to the replacement resistors and caps on alibaba as well?

Secondly is there a problem with making a cart just on alibaba? Component quality maybes

Thirdly is a larger oled screen a possibility?

@Clonkex not really, vesc has uart, which is used by this remote to get data, and can also be used to control the vesc.

@Clonkex I agree, it’s not a big change :slight_smile: Maybe you are right, I just try to learn myself everything I need to do a specific task - and it helps a lot that the task itself is exciting! … Jacks-of-all-trades that’s a new one :smiley:

@banjaxxed Well you just need a single 220uF cap for the 5V input on the receiver side, and the replacement resistor (for the charger) is a 5kOhm SMD (1603/0603) resistor, however, if you never soldered SMD I recommend just getting an ordinary through-hole resistor. No need to buy this on alibaba or aliexpress, just find a local shop :slight_smile:

A larger OLED screen is not possible at the moment, as the whole GUI is designed around the 128x32 px display.

@chinzw It will be possible to change between three modes: PPM only, PPM and UART and UART only. The PPM mode will be used to run any ESC :slight_smile:

2 Likes

makes sense now, thank you

I’ve started the slow boat, maybe will have one working for xmas, I hope :slight_smile:

Been following this one for a while and it looks great. Will print and build it soon.

And a small tip will be send soon as well.

I’m almost certain there wasn’t a poo stl in the combination I merged

4 Likes

You… printed a potato…?

5 Likes