Simple 3D-printed NRF remote - Arduino controlled

if you’re you’re going to take it apart anyways just 3d print it

@esk8guy You will need an Arduino, a nRF24 module and maybe a capacitor (220uF) for input voltage stabilization.

@vishal_tejwani I will try to make the video this week, however I am a very busy person - and I am doing this in my spare time :slight_smile:

The code on github is not the newest version, I have made quite some changes recently. I will update the code as soon as I finish the betas.

@Maxid the lip works great, its a very nice addition to the design :smiley:

Today I finished the first beta remote, using all the new parts and changes made so far. Here is what I have learned:

• Using the Arduino with a dedicated 3.3V regulator gives a higher range.

• A capacitor is no longer needed on the 3.3V output to support the current demand.

• The nRF24 module is sensitive to noise from nearby wires and coils. The right position (and or shielding) is essential for reliable communication.

• It takes roughly 3 hours to assemble a remote, at least the first one (hopefully I can speed up the process - lol :smile:)

I have been updating the 3D-models and made a new assemply-file:

What do you think of the name :smile: ?

23 Likes

i like, all we need now is a foolproof tutorial how to set one up;)

6 Likes

@solidgeek nice. Another name(s) could be OrangeLeaf remote, ArdEsk Remote, EskLeaf Remote, SpeedSkate Remote, EMJ remote.

Awesome name !! @solidgeek …can’t wait !!

Good work and nice name :wink:

Will you be selling these sometime in the near future or is it just meant as a hobbyist do it yourself project?

Got my Raptor 2 a while back, but the nano-x is lacking in some aspects. Would definitely be nice to be able to read the board battery % off the controller instead of checking bellow the board how much juice you have left.

Your design is :thumbsup: and you got a customer once you get out of the beta stage ;-).

1 Like

Just putting my remote together after getting my parts in and i thought i would share a few things for those who are interested of a few things i did to my remote. Please let me know what you think. Happy building.

3 Likes

@Genius2017 Cool! Thanks for update! I’ve got all my parts, just looking for some spare time to put it together. I also ordered micro limit switch ( for another project) so I’ll give it a try!

I’m also planing to add soft switch option to power on and off remote with long press of a button ( need to come up with convenient place for it ) instead of slide switch at the bottom of the remote.

I freakin love the name! The instant I saw it I thought it was perfect. Think I’m going to start buying up some of the parts for it and 3D print one myself :smiley:

@MontPierre Why replace the slide switch though? Long-press power buttons are way more annoying.

@Nordle glad you like it! I will be assembling a remote tomorrow - and hopefully get some nice pictures for the tutorial :slight_smile:

@Genius2017 Cool names, but I think I prefer Firefly Remote :stuck_out_tongue:

@NAF Thanks mate!

@vinividivici Thanks! I really appreciate your kind words - it keeps me going :wink: I am planning to sell kits and maybe fully assembled remotes in the future yes! However the fully assembled remote will need a custom PCB - otherwise, the assembly process will take to much of my time :stuck_out_tongue:

@Genius2017 Awesome dude! Thanks for sharing - I think I will be adding the small holes in the 3D-model :slight_smile:

@Clonkex Glad you like it, I think the name suits the remote quite well too! I got some displays and most basic parts in stock if you need something (bolts, springs, micro USB etc.).

1 Like

When it gets closer to being done I’ll defitely sign up for a kit/final parts list! I’d love to put something like this together.

What are the chances of putting the screen somewhere more readable? I’m not sure where that would be, but just throwin it out there!

Sorry about the first picture with the holes added for the magnets. When I did my PowerPoint I copied over another text box. I will upload tomorrow with the correct headings.

@solidgeek thanks. You know what would be cool is at the top of the remote to have a small LED for a light in case you want to look for your keys the remote with let’s say three clicks of a button will turn on the LED light and if in the sourcecode it will time out after a few seconds or so so it won’t drain the battery. Great option for those who hit the trails at nigh time. Would be a cool feature. What you think?

@solidgeek I love your project, thanks for sharing it. I plan to make one and I found a new version of the NRF24L01 with IPEX connector, it allows me to stick the antenna out of my esk8 case for the receiver. I will share my progress :slight_smile:

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1PC-New-Arrival-100mW-AS01-SPIPX-nRF24L01-wireless-pa-lna-2-4g-wifi-module-Wireless-Transmission/32819372747.html

That’s called a torch. You should buy one.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Here is the updated pic with the correct text boxes. Sorry for the mistake. Did this at work and should have proof read before saving. Enjoy.

1 Like

@MontPierre Soft switch would be a great idea. let me know what you use for the switch if you find one that fits please post the link.

I’m going to buy a small white LED and see if its possible to make it fit near the trigger switch or so. Playing around with some cool ideas. Love the remote @solidgeek.

3 Likes

My NRF nunchuck has been sticking lately even though I bought a legitimate nintendo nunchuck :(.

Considering making one of these when I have time. I have a little experience getting arduino -> vesc nrf working too.