Simple 3D-printed NRF remote - Arduino controlled

@chinzw and @MontPierre I do not plan to release the original files just yet because they are a giant mess (and not entirely finished). I will try to finish the design completely this weekend, maybe then. Sorry :slight_smile:

I just received a lot of items for the prototypes today :smiley: Only waiting for the batteries now! :smiley:

8 Likes

Remove those handles from the bed clips, they vibrate so much, took me 2 weeks to realize myself :slight_smile:

Is there a way to make the remote feel smoother and more premium exept sandpapper ?

Yes: acetone vapor smoothing, using better filament, using different colors for different parts and especially changing print settings (acceleration, speed, temperature, layer thickness, nozzle size, tightening printer joints etc.). Much more you can do just google it.

1 Like

@Jammeslu Its all about finding the right settings for your 3D-printer. I own a Creality CR10 (a low budget printer) and my prints look more premium than most I have seen printed on much more expensive machines. I use a layer height of 150 microns (0.150mm) and a layer width of 0,4mm for almost every print.

As @ACIN mentions there are many ways to improve the look of the print. As an example, if you are using ABS as filament a acetone vapor bath would remove most of the layer lines.

3 Likes

@Jammeslu CA glue works wonders too.

I might try at some point resin :sunglasses: It would look so cool!

1 Like

.1mm parts will be pretty close to smooth already and like others said acetone bath for abs or with pla just use sandpaper and can use spray paint after sandpaper to help fill in any remaining layer lines

1 Like

@solidgeek Just found this awesome awesome build, and instantly fell in love. Arduinos is totally new to me, but i will give it at try. Is it possible to become one of “late” beta tester, or is it possible to buy the 3d printed parts from you? I think i am up to the soldering and assembly my self. Btw. i am also from Denmark (Aarhus)

Again, SICK build!

Just got my print delivered :wink: nothing pretty as I’ll be changing design to accommodate soft switch button and etc

4 Likes

I’ve got a Formlabs Form2 Resin SLA printer - I can do a run of these parts using ‘Tough’ ABS (like) resin. It won’t be as strong as real ABS but it’s close. Resin is expensive so each print would be £30-40. It would be injection moulding quality however. Anyone interested? Can ship internationally too.

@navgor I would be interested ! For sure Outer shell and perhaps thumb wheel. I’ll leave interior parts and PLA :wink: it should make it even cheaper :wink:

What colours resin do you have and are you from UK?

I also would like to add a space for button and get ride of the LED holes :wink: awaiting @solidgeek to clean up the files :wink:

not that educated about 3dprinting but isn’t it possible to print the trigger and thumbwheel is some kind of rubbermaterial? for better grip etc

Great. Well if 5+ people want the parts I’ll order up the resin.

The tough resin is only available in a translucent light blue colour. See video:

I also have loads of white and a little but of grey left. I think i’m out of black right now.

@Jammeslu it is possible to print using a flexible / rubbery resin for the trigger and thumbwheel in resin. If there is interest I could also do a run of rubber parts.

I would be interested in the rubber thumbwheel, my PLA one is not that good…

1 Like

I think black or grey would be better. Not only in terms of colour but also it will be cheaper and product doesn’t have to be uber tough INMO.

As for thumbwheel I was thinking Colorfabb nGen Flex - not too flexy not too hard… But thats a different printer right?

The black is quite brittle, I doubt it would take a fall. I can print one in white which has the same strength as black and do some tests.

Yea, the form2 is resin based. uses a UV laser to cure a liquid resin. I have standard FDM printer too.

@navgor Ohhh then I might order thumb wheel from someone on 3D hubs in UK. Are you in UK?

Just got a letter from customs, the LiPo batteries are on their way to me! A few days and I will be able to assemble 10-12 remotes :slight_smile: Yeah!

@Johan_R Hey! Thanks for the kind words. I would love to ship you the components, and 3D-printed parts, however I only got spare parts for all the beta builds (at the moment). I will add you to my list, and notify you when I got the parts ready for you (I am thinking about creating a small webshop selling the remote and kits :stuck_out_tongue: ). I you are interested, I could ship you the 3D-printed parts and the components I got in stock (bolts, switches, micro USBs etc.), and you could buy the rest yourself :slight_smile:

@MontPierre Looks awesome mate! Can’t wait to see your final version :smile:

@navgor That would be so cool!! I am currently testing a slightly modified 3D-model (only enclosure modification) with three bolts instead of six. I would wait with the expensive model until I release the modified version :slight_smile:

2 Likes