Simple 3D-printed NRF remote - Arduino controlled

Have some examples of devices that use long press to turn on and off? Only things I can think of is phones or tablets really but in the case of shutdown it’s a long press to activate the shutdown confirmation screen. On startup they will use a short press to show battery charging or life and long press to turn on but in that case they must be using some power to run a timer and then I imagine they are using a FET to actually open or close power to the main cpu/mcu (I’m speculating here).

Only thing I can find that would do this without keeping the arduino itself powered up to monitor the button press seems pretty big: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/time-delay-switch

Doing the going to sleep part based on a delayed button press from the arduino itself wouldn’t be too hard but actually shutting off and then doing the startup without some clock running won’t really work as far as I can tell.

This can be done, but its not the most efficient way. Of the top of my head, this should work:

The switch turns the transistor, which powers the arduino, the arduino sets A01 high, which overrides the switch and keeps power flowing. For shutdown just need to set A01 low, which can be done by connecting the switch to one of the arduino inputs and reading its value.

My maytech remote has a button for on and off - longpress. And it works amazingly. If maytech can do it, I’m sure @solidgeek can :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

I googled it and as you mentioned it might be fets.

Don’t turn it on take it APAAAART :slight_smile:

^^ Think this is similar to what @chinzw sketched up above but doesn’t include the arduino part but pretty sure that would just be controlling one of the “switches” using a BJT maybe… really in any case I think this is a fair amount of extra complexity if you aren’t baking all the stuff onto a single PCB. Would be interested to see pictures of the guts of the controller that does this though.

Haha!

Well I found its guts here

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/maytech

One one of the pics you can see in upper left corner on the board the momentary switch- it turns it on and off.

Actually pics of the guts might be slightly different to current model. Mine doesn’t have side switch like on above pic here ( which I think originally was to switch remote on and off). I might take mine apart to see how it looks now.

1 Like

Hmm yeah hard to see what that momentary button is hooked to but I don’t see any NE555 timer ICs on there either so I would guess they’re using something akin to the circuit in the previous post. I haven’t really used surface mount FETs or BJTs only the through hole kinds but they have 3 legs so think some of those small black packages on the board with 3 pins could be one or the other (could also be voltage regulators or other things)… some details on identifying components here:

Can usually zoom in with a phone or better camera and take a picture to be able to actually read the labels, sometimes need to get the angle to get light bouncing off it or wipe off the components to get rid of any grime.

I will undress my remote and get some pics. You’re right, if there is no custom pcb then it will be too complicated. @solidgeek was looking into making one but I think it would be for later Versions if anything :wink:

If im not mistaken, that circuit you posted wont stay on tough. It looks like its just a capacitor bleeding timer, but it wont stay on indefinitely or off indefinitely.

As I mentioned earlier in post 138. This is what I am using and it works perfectly for button hold on/off! The board is the size of a finger nail :slight_smile:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3V-12V-Solid-State-Switch-Control-Module-Power-Soft-Start-Switch-PCB-for-DSO-068-/141768160000?hash=item21020a7300:g:l60AAOSwTapV7P5M

1 Like

Amezballs! Sorry I missed your earlier post. I shall look into this!

Sorry for the late answers guys, I have been sick for the last four days :grimacing:

@Maxid Looks good! Great idea with the lip thing, I will definitely try to add that to the 3D model. Regarding the nuts, I don’t think it is necessary. I have been assembling and dissembling my remote (with threads in the plastic) +20 times, and it still works great. Sure it takes a little time to reopen the remote, however no more than a minute (about 10 seconds per bolt?). Maybe adding the lip I could remove 2-3 bolts from the design, making it much easier to reopen.

@chinzw Great! I am looking forward to seeing the result :slight_smile: However sampling from a 0-2v output from an Arduino running on 5V (or even 3.3V) would mean a much lower resolution, does the m0 has a higher resolution ADC?

@MontPierre Regarding the soft switch, I think it’s a nice idea, however, I think it takes up to much space in the current version. Maybe it could be added in the future. I am planning on making a custom PCB for all the electronics, some time in the far future :stuck_out_tongue:

Update regarding the beta version: I am beginning to receive all the parts, however, some (many) things probably got stuck in customs (or bad weather) so I expect at least a week more before everything arrives :slight_smile: . Meanwhile, I will make my 3D-printer do some work :sunny:

1 Like

@solidgeek i didn’t have time this weekend, but ill get to it this week. The proto m0 has a 12bit ADC, on 3.3v thats 0.81mv resolution, it should be plenty :slight_smile:

@solidgeek hey dude, i was just checking the thingiverse files, is there any chance to get a source? i rather not have to work with stls

I can’t tell but is this the same exact size as the boosted remote? How does the total wheel travel compare?

I was busy writing books in the thread when you posted this thanks for sharing again interesting little doohickey.

How is it going?

This is an awesome thread. I finally know how I’m going to build my remote. Maybe I’ll even look into how to control OLED displays with Arduinos :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi all, sorry for the missing updates! I just started my third semester at the university, so I have been very busy. I have been updating my GitHub wiki with some schematics and information regarding the remote. It’s not finished yet, but I think I will be able to finish everything this weekend.

You can find the schematics here: https://github.com/MrSolidGeek/nRF24-Esk8-Remote/wiki under the subpage “Electronics”.

Regarding the beta remotes, I am still waiting for a few components :stuck_out_tongue: Why does everything has to come with the slow boat from China…

3 Likes

@solidgeek any chance i can get fusion files or some other editable file that’s not an stl?

@chinzw I’m with you! I would like to add a button and etc.