Simple 3D-printed NRF remote - Arduino controlled

Damn I wanna build this… But import taxes in Sweden is about $10 per part if I buy them from different sites. :disappointed_relieved:

Does anyone know if I can buy them all in one place and have it sent in the same package? At least as few packages as possible… Thanks :slight_smile:

Are you sure about that, because we don’t have that in Denmark? We only get in an import taxes if one package comes over 14 dollars then we get taxes and moms.

But If you want it I can buy it for you and send it to you?

Yup, Sweden has changed the import-laws as of last year so it’s quite horrible now… That is really nice of you! :smiley:

I just read the rules again and if I order from within the EU, the shipper is responsible for including the taxes in my total so, It might be alright if I find something inside the EU. But everything is so much more expensive here then in China for example :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you guys know any good electronics sellers in the EU?

You can try hoppy king or Amazon.de

1 Like

I got some spare parts I can send you if you would like, I got everything (electronics, springs etc.) however I am not sure if postnord will allow me to ship the battery, so maybe you will have to source that yourself :+1: Send me a PM if you still need parts

That would be awesome! I’ll send you a PM :smiley:

Hello, Just need a little clarification. Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

What is the current - VescUartControl Library (VESC 4.12/latest firmware). ??? I am using the VescUartControl-new from this link:

I get the error (while uploading to the receiver) (NANO v3): ‘SERIALIO’ was not declared in this scope.

After reading the VescUart.h and some of the threads. I deduced that I must add these lines to the receiver code???

#define SERIALIO Serial  //  Originally not in receiver code NEW!

void setup() {
  SetSerialPort(&SERIALIO);  //  Originally not in receiver code NEW!
  SERIALIO.begin(115200);

Is this correct???

The github wiki refers to using this library:

Then there is a VESC6 library… Can someone confirm which is the most current library, and am I correctly handling the ‘SERIALIO’ was not declared in this scope ERROR??? Thanks so much.

You should use my updated version of the library if you use newest version of the remote.

1 Like

Is the remote model the same exact size as a boosted remote? Basically, will it fit in the new flatland 3d rubber cover for boosted?

Thank You!! That worked. I am now getting consistent connection, and telemetry. Awesome.

Just updated remote to latest version as with vesc fw 3.52 it was not showing telemetry data anymore. While I got the data now to remote, ppm control vanished!

The remote and receiver both works, I even measured speedPin output from receiver and it was showing correct voltage changes to throttle. In Vesc tool I can control motor with arrows, so vesc and motor is working, but ppm data is not showing there also. I tried resetting “app to use” setting to Off and back to PPM and UART again , rebooting between, but no success.

Any ideas how to fix or what happened?

updates:

• I tested also voltage from ppm pin from vesc and it shows correct values
  • the vesc is a focbox 4.12

I reflashed firmware on vesc and got it working now. The input still seems a bit unstable, like if you accelerate or brake fast the value stops halfway to max. Could this be power issues? I have recommended power filtering but maybe its damaged

Which version of the remote do you use? It sounds to me like you use the analogWrite function indstead of the Servo.write. Have you used the Vesc tool to calibrate your min and more PPM values?

@solidgeek I’m using version from here, is it not the latest? https://github.com/SolidGeek/nRF24-Esk8-Remote/tree/master

It is using indeed analogWrite so i guess its old version, do you have link to the latest?

edit: Okay so it must be the development branch that has latest version… Yes that did it! Data and ppm working properly now.

1 Like

Hello everybody. Thank you, SolidGeek, for sharing this project!

But I can’t connect remote with VESC (I have VESC 4). When I power receiver through USB, should transmitter see receiver? Because now, when I connect receiver to USB, symbol of antenna still blinking on lcd. I use 220uF 10V tantalic capacitor between 5V and GND, 22pF ceramic capacitor between RST and GND on receiver. Should I use capacitor between RST and GND on transmitter? I clean EEPROM every time before uploading code on arduino (for transmiter and receiver). Is it normal, if I use RF24-1.3.2 library? Or should I use older release?

Which library VESC-UART should I use: from SolidGeek or from RollingGecko for VESC4 Where did I make mistake? IMG_3107 IMG_3105

You tube bro. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N032HqxeymA&t=169s This guy has done 4 video’s on it.

I saw all videos made by SeeTheBridges. And also saw his posts in thread. Problem is not in assembling, problem is connection between receiver and transmitter. He didn’t make video about it.IMG_3057

4 Likes

Honestly getting the receiver and remote connected has always been my most fiddly part. Took me almost a half day on average to get every remote I built working properly. My recommendations are kinda strange, but first start out by touching the antenna on the remote while it’s on. I’ve found sometimes for some reason the antenna was the wonky part and when I touched the ceramic, the remote would begin transmitting properly. If that’s the case, I had 2 fixes with varying degrees of success. The first was to add an additional piece of wire to either side of the antenna about the full length of the arduino. I usually tried to tuck this behind my PCBs. If that didn’t work, I’d remove the ceramic antenna entirely. That worked on a few occasions and didn’t really effect connectivity range in my regular testing. Removing the ceramic was always my last ditch effort tho. I’d double check he continuity on all the NRF pads on both parts and then reflow them before attempting it.

3 Likes
Pryside I think he is on the forums wrote some code for the remote that used different signals. Watch his video at 13:49. He goes over all of the problems.

curtis

This is his thread: https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/3d-printed-boosted-board-killer/88803