Simple 3D-printed NRF remote - Arduino controlled

It’s not an smd pad. You just need to treat as if it is an smd pad :grin: cover the holes on the other side with kapton tape if needed. image

1 Like

Brilliant! Thanks

1 Like

good luck!

I solder pins to PCB first… I almost wick the solder in as opposed to apply it to the hole.

After that I place the NRF module in place and hold it there with some blutack first… Get the first one or two in then the rest will be easy… again using a very fine tip and wicking the solder after heating the pin.

The smd style soldering sounds like a good idea too!

Wow nice!!! Let me know ASAP :smile:

P.S. Sorry for the delayed response, had to travel for work.

I cant get any of my telemetry to show up, and I followed @Dekbannok short guide posted earlier! Do you have any advice on what I might need to do to get this up and running?

I just found out that one of the latests firmware releases from Vedder broke the VescUartControl library. Im not sure about the VESC 6 version, but the one for VESV 4.12 doesn’t work.

What firmware do you have installed on your VESC? If its the latest that should be the problem. I have used the entire day figuring this out, and I have rewritting the library from RollingGecko. I will be posting this and a update to the receiver soon :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I use @Ackmaniac’s firmware and it does work :wink:

will you also have a look at the vesc6 library? I couldn’t get the RollingGecko library working with the newest 3.40 firmware for VESC6. If so I would be very thankful.

1 Like

@rey8801 thats probably because Ackmaniacs firmware is a few commits behind Vedders.

@Flo Yeah actually I think the library I have made works with both v4.x and v6 hardware as long as you install the newest firmware (3.40).

2 Likes

yes, I thought so. I just wanted to let you know. Also for others that might be interested.

Good find… A friend was trying to figure out why he wasn’t getting telemetry. Looks like this might be the reason.

1 Like

Yeah I was scratching my head a lot yesterday, and I figured some of you guys probably have had the same problems :slight_smile: I do not know which firmware version broke the telemetry, but it should be easy enough to roll back the updates and find a firmware that works. I will have a new update for the receiver and the new library released tonight.

3 Likes

That sounds great that you will share the library with us tonight :slight_smile: I’m a little curious if you managed to solve that problem:

Will we have to wait for another firmware update for Vesc6 or did you get around that problem?

The longer packet lenght is not an issue as long as you read the serial buffer fast enough. The old library used a delay(10) after sending the UART package to the VESC. This way some data will be lost if the buffer isn’t big enough. I have made it different, such that it listens for and reads the serial data as soon as it arrives - therefor not losing any data.

I have not tested it with my VESC 6 yet, however the newest firmware for VESC 6 is also FW3.40 right? So it should work.

1 Like

Yes FW 3.40 is the latest for VESC 6. Wonderful :slight_smile: can’t wait to get my bike running again :heart_eyes:

Could a “bad” or damaged Arduino cause brownouts? I do not have a reliable connection. It is constantly connecting and then disconnecting. When I fiddle with the Tx, like moving it and such it will connect…so I thought it was a bad connection. Yet all connections are soldered fine and checked.

@erod998 Sounds like a power or noise related issue. Which Arduino do you use?

Arduino Nano. Currently Testing off USB. Previously had working but now it is not.

If I move the NRF24l01 it will connect, but then crash and freeze.

I have released the new VescUart library. It is basicly the same as RollingGecko’s however cleaned up a bit and updated for the new FW3.40. The library can be found here: https://github.com/SolidGeek/VescUart

I have also updated the receiver software on the development branch to make use of the new library. It works great on a VESC 4.12 however I have not yet tested it on my VESC 6 as it powers my main board at the moment.

Further testing is needed if anyone is up for the task :slight_smile: @Flo @ervinelin

6 Likes