Shit me I did a fuck. How fix?

easy fix if this works :sweat_smile: https://www.amazon.ca/TEKTON-2905-8-Inch-Manual-7-Piece/dp/B000NPPATS/ref=asc_df_B000NPPATS/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292938351042&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3128757465451426271&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1002384&hvtargid=pla-420785539586&psc=1 This tool is able to remove almost any stuck bolt. I would recommend giving it a try

1 Like

Never use glue for something like this. (In fact, just don’t use glue anywhere, for anything.) Use epoxy, like JB Weld 8265-S for example, and make sure you mix it properly.

Then the most important part – DON’T TOUCH IT for 40 hours before trying to take it out again. Make sure it’s FULLY cured first.

i made the same mistake. they are much better for wood screws. they dont do anything for machine screws or bolts

1 Like

Damn guess I’ll save this for later because I want to remove the motors to sell them to somebody asap

Oh, then the fix is easy! Buy a new pulley and motor mount, and sell these motors with the stuck components attached as extras! Not your problem anymore! :smiley:

3 Likes

Take the motor mount off the truck, take the bell off the motor, then use your hand to unscrew it. You should be able to move the rest of the motor instead of forcing the screw. Also a bearing puller is a cheap way to take you motor pulley off and replace gearings without damaging them (saves time and money)…good luck!

Impacts usually strip the bolts, i would reccokend you to stick a soldering iron there for like 10minutes and then get a torx and press really hard on it and slowly start turning the grub screw

I was told too much heat could damage the magnets, over 80 C for a good amount of time is enough to loose magnetism. I suggest to remove the bell, then apply heat, a small torch better, fast heating is trouble free…

I’m sorry but what? How do I remove the bell when I can’t remove the pulley? Also I heat up the pulley part because it has loctite or some sort of glue. No way I can damage the magnets. I don’t heat the whole motor dude

You are hearing up the grub screw, and the shaft, magnets are far away from that

Next time don’t use Phillips head screws :grinning:

2 Likes

This is the real golden advice.

3 Likes

If you do drill it out, make sure you cover the motors with tape or a bag. I ruined a motor by not doing so once… the motor grabbed all the little metal pieces from drilling out a stripped screw. I didn’t think about this and the next time I rode, my shit got all fucked.

3 Likes

so much this. I did notice parts of the stripped screw got stuck on the screw driver, so I used my finger to take them off, and then yea, the motor bell picked them up again lol

An impact gun or drill can help with immediate torque to the bolt head which can help ‘unfreeze’ the bolt seizure

Or shit up your fuck more

2 Likes

You got that screw messed up because you took all the 3 without loosening the other one. You loose all at once turn by turn in an X pattern.

I have better success with this kind of problems using the freezer for couple hours than use heat gun, also less prone to damage something because the excess heat.

1 Like

Not sure if it’s been mentioned , but I went through this same issue awhile ago. I eventually got it out with a different sized bit after I stripped the fuck out of it. From that day forward I’ve never used those shitty grub screws. I throw them in the garbage. I only use loctite 680 and a keyway.

1 Like

Top notch troubleshooting on a Friday night into the morning :+1:. Waking up to these threads are why I keep coming back.

My two cents for future fucks, use hex bolts and keys as suggested above. The more expensive and German sounding brand name the better the tool.

1 Like

You should get a pulley puller

1 Like