SESC a VESC 6 derivative

The input caps can’t take off the “surge”. Isn’t it there mainly to take up voltage spikes that come when mosfet power off?

Please read the link above. I can not explain it to you because I’m poor at using English.

Can we please hold off from flaming this guy until we get more info? I am feeling like there is a language barrier here causing some confusion and unwarranted flaming.

Nothing wrong with having a development post. This isn’t strictly a marketplace, so he doesn’t even have to post about prices yet… It wasn’t even posted in the marketplace section.

I personally want to watch this, and other products being developed without the person being flamed for reasons that have more to do with sale than development.

32 Likes

Agreed. No reason why anyone should come on the forum with whatever and be flamed

3 Likes

yes dont flaming this dude

Just to make sure everybody understand I am not flaming, just telling him that he needs bigger caps not those caps used in motherboards as super duper ultra caps selling point. As currents in vesc reaches up to 200A and etc… I believe trampa VESC6 would already used some duper caps as they have budget for it but I don’t think they are any good for our application there power is over 3kW :wink:

Benjamin’s youtube channel will provide you guys some answers. He has a video about caps up.

1 Like

If the motor current is 165A, the current sensing amplifier is saturated. Therefore, it can not reach 200A. Realistically, VESC6 can not exceed 130A

Additional explanation Amp output is 3.3V-1.65 or 0V-1.65(here 1.65V is ref voltage) Therefore, taking an absolute value 1.65V The amplification factor is 20 R is 0.0005 Ohm’s Law is I=V/R Imax = 1.65/0.0005/20 = 165A Because of offset Imax = 1.35/0.0005/20 = 135A

2 Likes

first mistake, no sensor port, ya lost half your potential right there.

Edit: I see the pads on the bottom of the PCB, not sure why this wasn’t a header instead of pads

Also back to the open source stuff, The Schematic must be open sourced following GPL. The gerbers you can keep to yourself.

4 Likes

@Kug3lis Hurry up already and release your DRVless esc :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In fact, when used in FoC mode, there is no need for sensor connection. So I left points only in case someone was using it.

1 Like

We see very differently. There is a difference between sensored FOC and unsensored FOC.

There’s a good majority of people like myself that won’t run boards without sensors, becuase there is a performance difference. FOC isn’t a solve all…but atleast you have left the pads available

5 Likes

I am out of this topic the guys really has like 0 knowledge about VESC :smiley: or ESC in total :slight_smile:

@secupol ADC doenst run constantly there is delay in between current readings :wink: At those brakes you can even consume 500A if motor wants as you have direct connection to battery through open mosfet :wink:

1 Like

Your proof is groundless. Can you prove it with a formula?

So if the current flows, everything will melt.

Additional explanation Let’s see what happens when 500A flows, whether it’s a break or not.

1. The shunt resistor of the VESC6 is directly connected to the motor. Therefore, the rated power of the shunt resistor is obtained as follows. P = VxI = I ^ 2xR, 500A depending on your horse, P = 500x500x0.0005 = 125W The rated power of the shunt resistor used in the VESC6 can not exceed 10W.

The maximum current that can flow through a shunt resistor with a rated power of 10W is: Imax = √ (10W / R) = √ (10 / 0.0005) = 141A

1. If the motor current is 500A, the battery current is approximately. Below Ibat = Imotor / √ 3= 500 / 1.732 = 288A How many of them should be made in parallel to make this possible?
2 Likes

The main design directions of SESC are as follows.

1. Add a TVS diode to prevent the high voltage from the motor causing all breakdowns.
  2. Using a new gate driver to reduce PCB size and using a type of Aluminum Organic Polymer capacitor for a link capacitor.

If you want to know the difference between ordinary aluminum capacitors and aluminum organic polymer capacitors or how they differ in performance, please refer to the link below.

http://www.rubycon.co.jp/en/products/topics/t005.html

If there is an error in the above comparison, please let us know.

5 Likes

few corrections.

I like your layout :+1:

6 Likes

I know that used a TVS diode on the input side. However, it does not generate a high voltage that is actually problematic at the input side. Most of the problems are caused by the motor side. So there was a problem with DRV8302 in VESC4. But I do not know if the DRV8301 of VESC6 is causing any problems.

1 Like

What does @professor_shartsis say about this? He’s good with formulas, got all kinds for esk8 calcs.

1 Like

Well, there goes the thread

9 Likes

And from this I see this version uses a hardware implementation instead of SPI for the DRV8323.