SESC a VESC 6 derivative

The first ones were

Yep, I know I am just talking about the latest ones as price is till lower than he asked one :slight_smile:

Attached is a schematics.

4 Likes

I am not familiar with English. So there seems to have been a misunderstanding. The disclosure is made public. But donā€™t make me an unreasonable request.

Iā€™m releasing the frank :octopus:

13 Likes

Oh lord, now weā€™ll never get him back in the corner :slight_smile:

10 Likes

The idea behind only releasing the schematics was pushing more innovation and make more different hardware hit the market. So if someone wants to design a motor controller he has a starting point and can make sure that the device will be VESC-compatible. The TM-policies allow vendors to point that out and use the VESC-Brand to describe the compatibility. We all know that hardware manufacturers donā€™t like to publish their designs. The design is the basis for making business and giving it away would put small manufacturers in a situation where they potentially get striped out by bigger players, having more leverage in the market and more funds to make bigger batches. Open Source and hardware does only exist when you have a proper patent, and even then it is a difficult legal situation. So Benjamin does not give to much about the hardware. Compared to the software itā€™s very little work to design a new controller.

8 Likes

I really liked this.

Even if the current is way lower than a VESC 6, itā€™s perfectly for a 4 wheel drive with smaller motors or low power hub motors Currently you waste too much space on 4 escā€™s

If the support something like 40A max it still would have a place when using smaller motors in dual drive

One suggestion I make is to make it available without the housing for a little bit lower cost, this way you can make the ultimate compact board designing a custom heatsink

It will probably be equal to the maximum current of vesc6. However, the power supply used for the test was limited to 10A current, so the test was not conducted any further.

1 Like

Just to be clear it uses same mosfets as VESC6/ESCape/ESCALDE just in Automation standard so it will handle currents the same.

P.S. This will require at least 1mF capacitors at the power input.

1 Like

Do not just judge by the capacitance of the capacitor. I used a different kind of capacitor here. Conductive Polymer Aluminum Solid Electrolytic Capacitors. This capacitor has a much smaller ESR and a much higher ripple current than ordinary aluminum capacitors. So I was able to reduce the board size. On the other hand, costs increased.

its not the capacitors type which is important but capacitance itself, on high frequency switching those caps work as battery banks to provide surge of current. 0.3mF will not even compare to 1.4mF.

not entirely right, PCB layout and copper thickness is an important factor, you donā€™t want you pcb to act as a fuse.

Thats another topic, I was talking about mosfets :wink:

Polymer types and general electrolytic capacitors have better characteristics in the same switching circuit despite the low capacitance of the polymer type. Please find a comparison between the two.

Oh boy, how long do you work in electronics industry? Because I am not going to start explaining basics to person who ā€œdesignedā€ vesc6 boardā€¦

EDIT: As there are people with no electronics background here I will explain: The capacitors work as intermediate current surge storage AKA battery which can deliver surge of current instantly because of low ESR. (As low resistance current will flow faster from capacitors than from battery through the leads) The bigger capacity the better performance you get out of it. It doesnā€™t matter if you use best technology capacitors if they capacitance is low there is no energy to provide out of them. Snake oil will not provide more energy from same capacity :smiley:

2 Likes

Excellent Smithers

11 Likes

About 20 yearsā€¦ Do you know what a capacitor for this purpose is called? If you are going to talk about a technical problem, please give a clear rationale.

1 Like

6 Likes

pls, read this doc http://www.rubycon.co.jp/en/products/topics/t005.html

and seeā€¦ a GBTcap_7