Securing a magnet to motor

Hey so a while ago I rode over a small object that pierced my motor. It shattered my magnet inside the motor. I have since been able to find a magnet of the same material and strength, width and height bit it’s shorter than the others. It fits very snug in the motor but I want to have my mind at rest that it won’t move around… Should I be attaching it with some kind of glue? Thanks in advance

Starting with what won’t work, general use 2 part epoxi, as soon as the motor heats up it softens and the magnet start walking around

I didn’t try but I know from other uses that every cianoacrilate glue evaporates with heat, how much is to be tested

1 Like

No superglue, gorilla glue etc

Just find a heat resistant glue that bonds with metal and doesn’t expand- local hardware store?

1 Like

You have to use thin CA glue.

1 Like

I was told to use jb weld, a two part epoxy. Is this bad? @lox897 also recommended loctite 332 or 3342

Loctite 332 and 3342 is made for glueing magnets. JB weld I’m not as sure about

1 Like

I rather not use JB weld. I remember using it and it actually has iron filings mixed in the black tube. It’s rather questionable if it affects the magnetic field of the magnets where it is used. What lox897 suggested is correct that you have to use high-temperature adhesives.

2 Likes

How dangerous would it be to use it without an adhesive until I find one?

Omega 100 epoxy might also be a good option. Very heat resistant

2 Likes

Don’t do that, it may appear that the magnet is secure, but it’s not, as soon you accelerate a huge electromagnetic force will build up and move the magnet, on the worst case it can lock the rotor and the stator damaging the motor and throw you face first on the ground

1 Like

Ok so all those adhesives seem too difficult to get into New Zealand or cost more than the price of a new motor. I might just take out the magnet and use it like I have previously with 1 magnet less.

SYF vs the cost of proper adhesive or a new motor is a no brainer.