Sealing outrunner

There are sealed motors which sealed :sweat_smile: The other motors water resistant. The windings separated from each other, as long as you don’t short them somehow they fine. The sensor I worry a bit more sensible to water, that’s why I want to seal them.

1 Like

yeah haha I’m looking at the Maytech sealed ones, so far they appear to not have any overheating issues as @hyperIon1 has tested in the texas environment but does mention temp to go up a few degrees. Shouldn’t be an issue in colder places like where you plan on riding though as for me, its always hot and humid here :sweat_smile:

1 Like

€19.95? is that just for 1 case?

Unfortunately its not for 6355 motors too :frowning:

I tried ceramic bearings and came back to steel. They wear out, but you can replace them if so. When the ceramic ones fail, they fail spectacularly. The steel ones just get harder to turn.

1 Like

Good to know your experience. Will stay with steel for the first. Maybe you know the size of pliers to open the spring on the shaft?

No I don’t have any APS motors

I thought most motors Were dipped into epoxy ?

It is mainly the sensor assembly that needs to be taken care of.

The windings are usually dipped but not always, especially on the cheap motors.

APS is not really cheap in my experience :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, you can! Took me some time to find them for a reasonable price but my APS HEV motor uses the same size as some RC cars for the rear bearing that’s in the stator.

Bearings here

I only replaced the outer bearing, the stator has two small bearings in a row. I knew ceramic could fail badly so there’s a steel one as a backup.

The larger bearing on the front of the motor was not removeable in my experience. It was glued in very well and I wouldn’t want to torch it because it may have plastic bearing retention or it may melt the stator wire coating. Because of this I’m just putting a rubber gasket seal integrated on the motor mount which will seal against the shaft.

2 Likes

I ride in heavy rain quite often. I took my motors appart and covered the sensor PCB in 24hr epoxy. Seems to have worked fine so far. It was a bit thick though, a thinner coating would probably be less hassle.

3 Likes

just seal the sensor pcb, brushless motors are waterproof already.