Scarlet Cruiser | Long Haired Boy Scarlet deck | Dual R-SPEC | Space Cell | VESC

After spending a fair amount of time riding around on this deck as a downhill/push board I’ve decided to alter the shape a little to reduce the amount of flex even more. Unfortunately I’m going to have to lose the sexy waistline for this build. Flavor will be retained however in the tail shape and also I have plans for the front shape as well that will allow this deck to stay edgy.

The waistline provided a clear flex point right in the center of the box that didn’t show up until I had someone heavier block test and ride it around for a while. In a split box configuration (separate battery and esc boxes) this would be ideal as you could have the flex you want while knowing exactly where the flex is pivoting, so to speak. The space cell doesn’t really allow for a split box design of that nature, so this specific build will be a little different in shape.

The good news is I can do this kind of thing pretty much whenever I want because I have my own press and still have three or four uncut blanks laying around.

All of that being said I’m considering creating boxes for this deck for a split box configuration and using the new deck shape with single box configurations.

Some people like flex, some don’t or can’t have it for various reasons. I say both are valid choices and I want to offer both.

@cmatson I’d recommend your deck shape for a lipo build due to the space constraints of the non flex regions. It would be possible to completely repack the space cell into a taller,shorter config, of course, but I don’t think most people want to do that.

1 Like

Couldn’t you just add layers of wood to stiffen the deck up?

I pressed all of my veneer already for this round, but I’m thinking of moving to a 9 layer process when I get my next batch of veneer. An extra core and cross would stiffen it up significantly. But in the meantime I have uncut blanks I can try a slightly different shape on which would allow me to finish up this build, and I also have this deck and two others I can use in a split box config.

So I have options I suppose. Being such a small op really allows for flexibility and experimentation.

1 Like

i needed 8 layer plus a layer of fiberglass on the top and bottom before it was stiff enough. still has slight flex. it increased the weight a lot compared to my first build so i shortened the deck and wheel base but it is still a bit heavy. that is for me at 160lbs i think 9 ply for people heavier then me would be good. or 7 or 8 with carbon fiber or those plastic sheets roarockit sells.

I haven’t really figured out what I am going to do with my second space cell… still need a low KV motor and other parts before I can do anything with it.

On the other hand, I have all the parts to make a solid 6s build, so I guess that’s what I’ll do.

haha I’m trying to save up for an Xcarve, so I’m keeping new eboard spending to a minimum :wink:

In my experience 10 or 11 ply is the sweet spot for me but I weigh around 190.

@cmatson why did you settle on an x-carve? Have you looked at some of the open builds? We decided on a large format OX for our first machine but we also have plans for a steel framed machine once we get a little more experience on the OX.

Yep, I checked out some openbuilds, most of which were pretty sweet. I’d love to be able to make my own size and everything, but I just don’t see myself pulling it off…

I think I could build the frame and get everything mechanically set up, but I’d start to fall off the deep end when it comes to software and connecting all the electronics: I really just don’t see myself buying all the right parts, and being able to get it all together and working properly.

The Xcarve does require you to put it together, but it comes with everything you need and it a relatively simple package. I’ve seen a couple people in the RC world get them, and they were by no means experts in building CNC machines.

All that said, I am still a couple months out from placing any sort of order, so alot could change!

also, do you have any openbuilds that you particularly like, or have really good detailed explanations of everything? Thanks!

Are you willing on selling these? How much would they cost?

You bet i’m selling them. If you go to my site and configure one i’ll build you one too, coke bottle grip and all.

finally got my VESCs up and running in tendem over the CAN bus after some initial issues with one of the VESCs. Had to reflash and then upgrade to 2.07 FOC, but now i’ve got traction control and everything. My 14yo son made the bus cable for me and we both learned a lot about crimpers and pins and what not to do. lol

5 Likes

Repacked the space cell into my box and reused all of the ports. It’s looking pretty tight so far.

I’ll post more pics tonight. I actually have the VESCs in there now with it along with the reciever, so dropping the box is a matter of 8 bolts and 6 plugs. Modularity for the win.

2 Likes

regarding the flex in my decks, last night as an experiment i added some fiberglass to the bottom of one of my decks to see if that would stiffen it up some more. We’ll see where that gets us when the resin is cured. if it works, i can continue with this build as is and one-off it. If not i basically trashed a deck for science.

I have also spoken with a guy i met on instagram who is not too far from me about carbon fiber layer options on the bottom of my decks as well as carbon fiber boxes, so that might happen as well depending on what he can do for me. That’s kind of blue-sky at this point though.

Lastly, i’m in the process of getting a quote from my veneer supplier about 9 and 11 layer kits. This will probably be the route that i go, but every option is worth exploring. 9 or 11 layers and vac formed boxes is the most likely candidate for what i do moving forward. It’s probably the easiest and most flexible set up and would allow me to do more rapid prototyping.

All of this is to say that i’m taking a multi-pronged approach to stiffening the deck (or working around the flex) so that heavier riders don’t destroy their box. I like the monolithic box design because it’s the most flexible as far as what components go into it. A split box design would allow the deck to flex but would require some serious hacking to get a space cell to work with it, but that’s probably my second option if the quote for 9 layers doesn’t pan out how i want.

1 Like

looks like the quotes for 9 and 11 ply are not as ridiculous as i imagined. As soon as i hear back about how much the freight will be (they forgot to include that in the estimate) i’ll probably just order the 11 ply kit today and start ordering those moving forward so that i’ll have the flexibility to press any thickness i want.

That being said, i’ll likely be offering 7, 9, and 11 ply variations of Scarlet at different price points and box configurations. Something for everybody! thinner flexy decks in twin box configs, and 9 and 11 layer decks for monolithic box configs. Hopefully my mold can handle the extra thickness without doing something retarded.

yes i still have the box thing to work out. I have everything i need to build a vac forming set up, so i’ll probably be doing that while i wait for the veneer to show up.

1 Like

He’ll yeah! bounce testing has revealed a significant drop in deck flex with the added patch of fiber glass. Now I just have to sand it down cleanly and paint it.

I tested by standing on both my black metal push board and the recently fiber glassed scarlet I’m using for this build. Jumping up and down on both has revealed that the red one is no longer flexing any significant amount (for me anyway) so I’m going to finish up this build. Maybe I’ll test a split box config on the black one next.

2 Likes

God that black deck is just so sick- I especially love the border around the griptape… and the red splattered logo… and the coke griptape…

I need to build something on your deck but I just haven’t figured out what…

Thanks! Black metal scarlet did turn out to be a pretty fierce looking beast. Was on it in my bare feet and that coke bottle grip felt great.

given the flex if you want to go with one long box i would do a wooden box and maybe glue it to the deck and clamp it, then use some sort of lid. The one you did on that arbor was absolutely gorgeous. otherwise, you can get away with an ultralight ultrathin fiberglass box if you also fill that w-cave channel on the bottom with about 10-15 layers of fabric and resin. I already forgot how many layers i used in this one.

i just did a stand and jump block test with the box bolted on and it didn’t crack after repeated jumping, so i think we’re good. I’m out in the garage right now re-staining the wood i sanded and am planning on painting the fiberglass after taping it off. its getting coke bottle grip as well.

1 Like

I think I will do a split enclosure 6s build… similar to my pocket rocket, but with wood enclosures and styling more like my arbor. Plus I will incorporate a better charging port, xt90 anti spark loop key, volt meter, etc.

But first, I’m going to buy an X-carve :smiley: I’m so close to being able to afford one, and right now I’m in the process of building a board to sell to someone who has wanted me to make them one for a long time… hopefully after making their board, I will buy the X-carve, and then whip up some sweet wood enclosures matched perfectly to your deck’s w-concave!

I imagine the build to be a good cruising board for when I don’t want the power of the space cell, and when I want to let others ride my board. The one problem with the space cell is that if you aren’t expecting it, the trigger sensitivity is a bit much- especially for someone who is riding an eboard for the first time and have no clue about how fast it can actually go…

sanded and painted the fiberglass patch before going to bed last night…

7 Likes

ok so i finally got the vescs configged and enough of he flex out of the deck to put this beast together. She’s 19.8 pounds of spit and venom and once i got the box on it was time for the trigger test. So i grabbed up my Chief Trials & Engineering Inspector so he wouldn’t get run over and we did this thing.

Don’t worry about the smashing sound. It was nothing. Honest!

8 Likes

i want external USB ports on this build, so i’m going to track something down and share it if i find anything. Settings tweaks should be able to be done in the field in my opinion.

2 Likes