Rolling Fortress | LaCroix Prototipo | Dual Focbox/6374 | DIY MBS Geared Drive | 12S4P

Where did you get yours ?

Some shop in Berlin : https://www.coronation-industries.de/shop/fr/trucks-mountainboards/8253-mbs-matrix-ii-pro-truck-system-black.html

I tried helicals on my smaller drive. They gave me more problems than it was worth and weren’t super quiet either…

IMG20180516215618

Not to mention they were very costly to manufacture and were a real bitch to align.

Probably the biggest problem was the axial loads, this puts a lot of strain on the mount and other components…

I ditched helicals after I heard Arc boards Fenix drives which were spurs and quiet enough.

11 Likes

I absolutely love this build!!! I just found the LaCroix board a few days ago on here. I’m still a newb but I would have bought a LaCroix at the special pricing but I can’t justify the expense of one now. The build looks amazing.

Just so you guys know… 3D printing was just for prototyping… I always meant for it to milled out but just can’t justify the expense.

IMG20180617115617

Here’s the prototype geared drive mount for caliber ii trucks that I am working on.

7 Likes

Found a source for this locally… will give it a try

1 Like

I haven’t tried your firmware yet simply because the thread is now 700 posts long and I was too busy to read through all of it!

I am also already using UART on my master to get telemetry to my remote, can I stick in a Bluetooth module on the slave?

I will try to get at video out soon when I have the time… Had to work over the weekend…

IMG20180617132206

Found it… But its not white…

1 Like

The one deckoz posted may be thicker can you swap for white lithium in the same place? Iirc evinrude is blue but maybe not as thick as the white goo

Yes you can use it at the slave.

No I bought it of a guy who was selling it… not a proper shop. I know where to get white lithium paste but it was of a generic house brand…

Anyway I applied the Evinrude, man it’s reeaalllly thick and sticky… Now when I turn my wheels I hear the grease…

Will have to ride it to know if it helps…

What a beautiful build, really gutted to have missed that lacroix deal. I’m still tempted though especially when you see such a epic finished product. I wouldn’t mind hearing a bit more about the battery build. I don’t have a spot welder either and your set up looks the most professional soldered solution I’ve come across. I’m going to thank you for the inspiration but my wife isn’t :smile:

Hopefully it does the trick interested to see your update on it

Basically I soldered then in stacks of 4. There are PCBs (see link above) you can buy that basically help a little in building these packs. What I like about them is that it’s much much easier to solder to the PCB than it is directly to the cell. So when connecting wires between 4P packs or large 12AWG wires, it’s just much easier with the PCB.

Here’s how I do up each pack:

1. Hot glue the cells together
  2. Hot glue the glued cells to the underside of the PCB
  3. Paste stickers meant to protect the positive end of the cell from accidental shorting with the cell body
  4. Cut a piece of wire to length (solid copper is good but I used high quality silver coated wire meant for speakers just cos it works for me)
  5. Bend the wire such that it touches all the cells and then folds up and over the PCB
  6. Use a penknife and scratch the surface of the cell to roughen it slightly
  7. Heat soldering iron to 480deg using a large wedged soldering top
  8. Tin all cell ends, wire and the PCB
  9. Solder bent wire to cells and PCB careful not to spend too much time heating up each cell
  10. Repeat on other end of cell
  11. Tape the bottom half of the packs and cover the top with masking tape temporarily just in case.
  12. Move on to next 4P pack, rinse and repeat.
  13. Layout and connect all packs as per your design
  14. Connect BMS (I didn’t use the PCBs cell pads, I soldered directly to the PCB main pad)
  15. Tape everything up and hope nothing smokes!
2 Likes

Thanks man really helpful!

1 Like

Transmission is awesome!! Props to you!!! Do you sketch your own gear teeth or import them?

The Board is sweet as well, the blocks of griptape do not detract the sweetness :sunglasses:

Thanks! Gears are from a gear generator for Rhino. Seems to work well enough to get me the outline, then I do the rest of the modelling myself.

Whats this?

I have just been using CAD files from maedler or KHK , but I don’t like doing that

It’s gears generating plugin for 3D modelling software called Rhino. You could also use http://geargenerator.com or http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Easy-Way-to-Design-Gears-in-Fusion-360/

2 Likes

I found this instead

http://www.jamesgregson.ca/metric-spur-gear-generator/

The instructuables link is good for people who use imperial system :slight_smile:

1 Like